Did I just destroy my GTX 460?

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hey guys,
I finished my system a week ago but have not got a chance to use it since vacation was near and school was a hassle. So i finaly got a chance yesterday to be able to have fun gaming and overclocking. My pc:
AMD Phenom II X3 740 BE AM3 Tri-core CPU 3.23GHZ (so far)
ECS Black series A785GM-M AM3 DDR3 Motherboard
EVGA GTX 460 768MB DDR5 859core/1900mem (so far)
Kingston HyperX 1GB 1800MHZ DDR3
Western Digital Blue caviar WD3200 sata hard drive
Ebay 2GB DDR3 1333mhz 1.5v ram stick
Samsung 80GB sata hard drive
Cooler Master CM690 NV690 Nvidia case
Cooler Master Hyper 101A AM3 CPU cooler
Okia 550ATX 550 watt power supply (modded)

Ok so i started overclocking my EVGA GTX 460 768MB DDR5 refrence card. Well after a few minutes of overclocking and testing with raising voltages, it froze on 3D Mark 06. This did not scare me at first. My pc just locked and i had to restart my pc by holding the reset button. No crash or BSOD, just a lock and freeze. So after restarting and running the card stock. It froze on Crysis warhead. Now i began to panic. After testing 6 games and each freezing at stock clocks, I expected the worst. Luckily my PC runs 100% perfect when not gaming. Furmark is almost an instant lockup. I tried drivers which was not the problem. I ran with my onboard HD 4200 graphics, not the problem either and games ran fine off the 4200. It was obviously the graphics card. I owned the card for 5.5 months and it ran fine until now. Please help!!! I only have 2 options that i know of. I can either flash the bios to another GTX 460 or RMA with EVGA. Give me some more options please. What more can I do? :(

Thanks

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

this happened when i tried to raise the voltage to 1025... =(

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

yeah, i guess it is too risky. =( im going to try to underclock...

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
unfortunately, even underclocking did not help =(... I waited SO LONG to be able to use my ******* PC and when i finaly got vacation, i have to wait... FML

Thanks for the help guys... =( EVGA better send me a new GTX 570... =/

:(

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
hey guys, im back, in the reply before, i only underclocked to 675mhz core. But i now COMPLETELY removed MSI afterburner and installed EVGA precision instead. Well, i put the core to 600mhz and it ran fine :D thats very good news. What do you guys think i should do now. 600mhz is too slow. And do you guys think MSI afterburner was the problem? Should i raise the core clock?

neonzion

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
hey guys, i jinxed myself... it kept freezing so what i did was reinstall windows 7. It began to work better but still locked up. After a while of testing and stuff i contacted EVGA. they told me to test several things and i was hooked on ram. After rearanging ram and fixing voltages it runs now for much longer. I played for a few hours and boom it locked up again. Now im EXTREMELY frustarted and think of other things... Well my power supply case is open and as soon as my finger touches the heatsink on the power supply, BOOm my fingers burns in the matter of half a second. So now im thinking my power supply is deing or overheating... Thanks guys im going to open a new thread thingy.. :D

=) wish me luck