Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Help (1k - 1.5k budget)

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2011 12:56:52 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: March

Budget Range:1k - 1.5k (a lot of breathing room)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing, music editing, watching netflix/movies (bluray not required)

Parts Not Required: Monitor (although down the road I do plan on getting another 24 inch), Mouse, Keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or tigerdirect (which ever helps you help me!)

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I do like AMD however I've heard great things about this new Sandy Bridge coming out... so I would be fine with whichever you believe is best

Overclocking: I do not know what this is so its not necessary

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments:

1) I would like to ask this community to help me prepare a PC for my gaming needs, I normally play FPS and MMO games like Rift that is coming out and eventually for Star Wars The Old Republic. I also have recently got into making videos and music editing so something that could handle both gaming and video/music editing would be excellent.

2) I have a very flexible budget but of course would love not to waste money.

3) I can wait for this beloved Sandy Bridge / Zambezi processor but I would just like to get a rough ball park of how much it's going to cost me. If you don't think Sandy Bridge is a necessity for being top of the line please feel free to add whichever processor you think would be better.

4) I'm sort of picky about cases... this will be my first build so enough room for a new builder would be awesome.

5) If you want to add what software you think would be best / cheapest for music/video editing feel free!

6) If you can add everything a new builder would need to build a PC from scratch that would be very helpful (thermal paste, tools, static place mate? etc.)

7) If I do make a PC in March do you think it will still be top of the line when Star Wars The Old Republic comes out... it's been rumored to be end of the year now?

8) If you are able to do this for me I will be very great full! Thank you :D 

More about : build budget

February 19, 2011 1:27:48 PM

Hello warv1;

Is April going to be OK? That's when we're guessing you can buy the Sandy Bridge MB's again.

To get an idea what a top end Sandy Bridge setup would look like:
Recommended Builds by Usage
Look @ the Gamer: $1,102.90 i5-2500k
and Enthusiast: $1,332.89 i7-2600k

You can also find suggestions for a Enthusiast: $1,135.89 build around a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T for comparions in case you don't want to wait till April.
m
l

Best solution

February 19, 2011 1:36:02 PM

1. Any of the above will be excellent at all that.
2. Doing the actual parts shopping a week or less out gives you access to the latest sales & combo deals.
3. Options besides what's shown above would be an i5-760 CPU/P55 motherboard or a i7-950 CPU/X-58 motherboard builds.
4. Any large gaming mid-tower ATX case should be fine. Pick one you like.
5. The best music and video editing software will run you more than the cost of the PC.
6. A screwdriver is about all you need these days. Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC
7. Close enough not to sweat the differences. End of the year will see the X-58 1366 motherboard replacement with the socket 2011 motherboards and CPUs.
8. You're welcome
Related resources
February 19, 2011 4:16:28 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I was confused by that "recommended builds" I see now that I had to scroll down through a couple posts!!!

I will take a look at those and thank you for the help!!!!!!
m
l
February 19, 2011 4:16:38 PM

Best answer selected by warv1.
m
l
February 19, 2011 5:46:18 PM

Quote:
Enthusiast: $1,332.89

* CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
* MOBO: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard
* RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBXM
* HSF: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
* HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* PSU: XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC ...
* GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
* DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
* Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
* Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

This build will allow you to play games at max settings at a monitor resolution of 1920x1200 or higher...

For the sake of writing a new thread :)  I'll just ask my questions here.

The quote is from your build guide, which I really appreciate. (I was actually starting to build a computer with the best of the best but decided not to spend $2.5k+ on one and just research more)

The MOBO you suggested. It's out of stock in newegg (actually "deactivated") and amazon.com only has a few left. Is there a reason for this? Is it out-dated? and if there is no reason for it, is there a better alternative for a board for the same CPU (within $10-$50 more)?

The RAM: I was wondering why you suggested a 2 x 2GB stick rather than a 2 x 4GB? Was it for the money, stability/reliability, or cause 8GB is overkill (I don't know if it is or not just asking)? I myself would like 8GB (2 x 4GB) but I wanted to ask before jumping into something that "looks & sounds" better but really isnt.

PSU: Is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... too much overkill? And is there a big difference with 80 Plus Silver vs Gold?

Case: Is the HAF X (Full tower) overkill as well? I was just interested in it because of the space and fans it comes with. If I do decide with the HAF 922 should I leave the same amount of fans or add one to the side panel?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I would also like to add that I am planning on getting this ordered by 2/26/11. I think I figured out the reason why that MOBO is deactivated, because of the recall or w/e Intel is having. I have a question about this, will there be a free replacement because it is a recall. Because I can't (like literally can't, not just cause I don't want to) wait until April for the fixed Asus motherboards and Intel Chips. So would it be smart to get those recalled chips now and wait to send for a replacement in April?
m
l
February 19, 2011 7:07:15 PM

@ vice4tech;
All P67/H67 motherboard are being recalled which is why it's been deactivated.
Asus Sandy Bridge motherboard recall
With some minor variations it's an example of the recall procedure.

Silver vs Gold 80 Plus efficiency is not a significant difference.
CORSAIR Pro AX1200W & HAF-X are overkill for a mid-range budget.
XFX 850W & HAF-922 have plenty of power and room for GTX 560 ti / GTX 570 / GTX 6950 video cards. Unless you have an unusual build the HAF-922 has plenty of fans. Let the system's actual operating temps guide you in deciding if you need more.
4GB vs 8GB; either option is fine. The price different isn't too great. It's also something that can be upgraded later to save $$ initially.

m
l
February 19, 2011 7:08:46 PM

@ vice4tech;
Why not open your open topic? the more people that look over what you plan to do the better chance you'll get ideas & options for improving the build or saving a few $$.
m
l
!