Internet sharing question....

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 2:44:42 PM

Two dell p3 c 600 laptops with windown 2000. One using a wireless card
to my router. Connected the two laptops with crossover patch cable and
both recognize each other in workgroups. My question is, how do I
pemmission for the second laptop to use the main laptop's internet
connection. I have disabled my zone alarm's on both. Many thanks,
David...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 8:52:33 PM

Thanks Andrew, Its a case of going out of town and having to use a dial
up connection and need both laptops to access the internet.

I cant find any mention of bridging but could you point me to the ICS
feature.

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

David...
March 26, 2005 1:18:32 AM

denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
: Two dell p3 c 600 laptops with windown 2000. One using a wireless card
: to my router. Connected the two laptops with crossover patch cable and
: both recognize each other in workgroups. My question is, how do I
: pemmission for the second laptop to use the main laptop's internet
: connection. I have disabled my zone alarm's on both. Many thanks,

You could bridge the connections on the laptop that has both wireless
and the cable...but this sure sounds like a weird setup. Any reason
you don't simply get a 2nd wireless card for the other laptop and skip
the cable? Here today for example our local Fry's Electronics has an
off-brand 802.11g PC Card for $12.99 US. For that tiny amount of
money, doesn't seem worth hassling with a cable if you already have a
router...

Anyway, to bridge the connections, try going to network connections
(forget exactly how this works in 2K), right-click over the LAN or
wireless connection, and see if there's an option to bridge them. I
know I can in XP. You might also try to do it via ICS (Internet
Connection Sharing).

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

I have a similar problem to the one described above.

I have a Compaq Evo N1000v (laptop) and 2 desktops. All run XP. One
desktop is a custom built and the other is a new Compaq. The Evo has a
wireless networking card and a jack for a Cat 5 cable. I have a 5 port
hub. The laptop and desktops can all see each other on the same
workgroup.

The laptop has internet access because my neighbor shares his internet
with me via a wireless router. I need to know how to share internet
from my laptop's wireless connection to my desktops. I also, have
disabled Zone alarm on my laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 26, 2005 12:58:37 PM

I hope someone can explain this Edwin, I got into a pickle trying to
set up ICS and it seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought.
David...
March 26, 2005 9:18:02 PM

denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
: I hope someone can explain this Edwin, I got into a pickle trying to
: set up ICS and it seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought.

For XP, Try:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

For Windows 2000, try:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_win...

Looks like XP is easier because you can make a bridge, which you
apparently can't do in Windows 2000.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Hey, thanks a ton Andrew!
I got it all working now thanks to that webpage and some thinking.

I used ICS. I used the net setup wizard to make my laptop share the
get it's internet from the wireless signal. It shared this connection
with my "Local Area Connection," the wired one. I had a 1394 port
(firewire) in the "Network Connections" also and windows automatically
adds this and my wired net to a bridge. So, you have to say (in the
wizard) "I will chose my own network connections" or something like
that in the bridging part of the wizard. Check only the wired net
connection (for me anyways).
When the wizard is done, in Network Connections, you should see that
nothing is in a bridge. On the client computers "Internet Gateway"
should appear at the top and tell you what connection the internet is
shared from, like mine says... "Wireless Network Connection on LAPTOP."
Now you should be all set.

(This was all for Windows XP Pro, so I don't know if it helps any, but
good luck David!)

-Eowin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 5:53:55 PM

[...]

April 1, 2005 4:32:39 PM

Suppose this means I'm going to have to dump w2k and get xp, I cant
believe it doesn;t work. Was a complete fresh install of w2k on both
laptops. The microsolf support forum, one guy has tried to help, its
like no one is bothering or even gives a poop...

Glad you up and going..

David...
April 2, 2005 1:31:32 AM

denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:
: Suppose this means I'm going to have to dump w2k and get xp, I cant
: believe it doesn;t work. Was a complete fresh install of w2k on both
: laptops. The microsolf support forum, one guy has tried to help, its
: like no one is bothering or even gives a poop...

I used ICS on my W2K desktop a couple of years ago before I bought a
router, so I know it works at least in some cases. In that setup, the
internet was coming in to the W2K desktop and being shared via a
crossover cable with an XP laptop. I'm pretty sure I had to set IP
addresses (192.168.0.X) manually on the NIC of both the desktop and
the laptop.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----