Psu issue/question wrt PCI-E power

eyesack_kn

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Bought an Antec 850SG two years ago to power the following build: q9550, 4 standard HDDs, 4gig ram, 9800 Gtx video card. Noticed lately that of the two PCI-E lines that integrated into the PSU, one of them was not sufficient to get the display to start up on boot. The other worked consistently.

Today I hooked up a 560 Ti and plugged the two integrated 12V lines into the back. It powered up the first time, display worked. Second time not so much. So I plugged the old video card back in. Now that one won't work with either of the two integrated lines.

What gives? At first I thought this was my fault, but now that neither of them works, I'm starting to wonder about the PSU. Need suggestions on possible fixes as well as a reasonably priced multimeter so I can check out the voltages and currents directly.

Any help appreciated!

eyesack_kn

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU available, though I will look around. The monitor does not come out of power-save mode, so it's not an issue of the monitor being on but displaying nothing (or gibberish). The monitor just won't come out of sleep mode.

eyesack_kn

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
@ghnader: Everything spins up: fans on the case, fans on the gpu, fans on the cpu. I had replaced my cpu cooler earlier, but I replaced every new part sequentially to ensure i wasn't confounding issues if something arose.

Update: The monitor is now coming on when I power up using the OLD gpu with only one power input. I did nothing but switch the DVI outlet I was plugging into (which I had already tried several times).

I guess I need to get a PSU tester so that I can find out whether it is outputting the requisite amount of power.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Do you have a single link dvi-d or dual link dvi-d?
Most monitors support only dvi-d single link.
1141.jpg

eyesack_kn

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Sorry to bump but this problem has come back. It appears to be related to unplugging the machine. I just took a long trip and have brought my pc with me. This is the third time where booting has been an issue after unplugging the machine for a long period of time. It almost seems like leaving it plugged in with the power switch on "fixes" the problem. This time, I plugged the PC in and booted up and it seemed like everything was going fine. Then it froze while Windows was loading (not BSOD, just froze). I turned it off, turned it back on, and now the monitor isn't detecting a signal.

Could this be a motherboard problem? I don't think it's a CMOS battery problem because the BIOS has had no problem saving my OC profiles. Rampage Formula II, btw.