Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Home Built] Failed Gaming Rig Looking for Upgrades

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2011 2:56:34 PM

Looking for some upgrades for my almost new system, I trusted a friend with the assembly and parts decision, this wasn’t a good decision, as my motherboard cannot run the ram at 1600 and we had trouble with the processor and the ram, ended up buying stuff out of desperation (sadly we didn’t do our research well enough, I’m now taking care of the assembly and part choosing of any future computers), it now runs fine with 2 sets of different ram (at 1033 or it would bsod) curiously it cannot be turned off for a long time because it when powered on again it would send bsod´s at any ram speed (800 to 1600) for at least an hour until it stabilizes itself.

I ask then, forum, to enlighten me with the specific upgrades I’m looking for are: Motherboard (as I found out way later..This mobo sucks) high end stuff for the future $200+, an extra 1tb for storage (or a hdd 7.2k-10k 500 gb for my games/programs and use the old one as storage) and a small SDD for my system, ram (1600) since i need to buy 4 of the same brand (4x2gb set preferably). My video card seems fine (maybe upgrade to the 6 series later in the future or crossfire ‘em) along with the processor and heatsink. Any other recommendations are extremely welcomed.

Power Supply: Coolmax RM-1000B - 20/24 Pines ATX, Silent fan de 14cm, 2x PCI-E 6Pin, 2x PCI-E 6+2Pin, 4x SATA, 4+4Pin ATX

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

HDD: Western Digital 1TB (1000GB) Caviar Green - HDD, 64MB Cache Buffer, SATA II (300MB/s)

Video Card: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard (Argh!)

Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 and Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz, CL9 (don't laugh..i was desperate)

Thermal Paste: The one with the Heat Sink (perhaps another paste since if I change the mobo I would want to redo the paste)

Heat Sink: CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Last question, with large HDD´s should i partition them?
February 20, 2011 12:11:20 AM

What do you mean with its not the right PC3?
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2011 2:37:22 AM

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) the mobo says what it supports
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2011 4:34:35 AM

Nothing wrong with the motherboard as far as I can tell. Maybe you found reviews I didn't see? I think it's some of the parts you put in it.
First off - Everybody complains about the psu. It needs to be a top brand and >80% certified efficiency rated. The one you have is an economy brand so it will be expected to blow out or crap out on you at any time. I can't really say one way or the other but if I'm buying one for a build that's also the advice I take.
Case: Excellent case. No complaints, it has plenty of room and places to put cooling fans to keep all your components cool while in operation.
HDD: Also not a bad choice. Most people will recommend the samsung spinpoint f3 1 TB drive. But unless you have one that has known issues you're fine.
For maximum performance you might want an SSD or two. The transfer speeds are better but to get the most performance out of them you will need a motherboard that supports S-ata 6 GB/s transfer rates. A 10,000 rpm Raptors will give you just as much performance as an SSD with your current setup. I don't believe that partitioning you HDDs will give you a noticeable performance boost.
Video card: Again, a nice choice. Should keep you up to date in graphics for a while. You can add 1, 2, or 3 more down the road with that motherboard - upgrade the psu of course.
Processor looks good, (if you like amd), and you can even get a decent overclock with it.
RAM: Here's your problem. The Corsair you have, (CMP4GX3M2B1600C8) is on the Corsair configurator and should run with no problems at the 1600MHz speed, if you put them in all by themselves. Even the motherboard details listed on Newegg show the 1600 (OC) as compatible. Leave the Kingston out and run the corsair at 1600, (set to XMP in bios). Or visa-a-versa, I just prefer the corsair. If you want to populate all slots you NEED to buy a duplicate set. You Might be able to go into bios and work with voltages, timings and latencies and such to get your current sticks to work together but I doubt you will be able to run them at 1600 with matched latencies. And they will all only run at whatever setting you have the slowest one set at.
Your cpu cooler might be able to keep your processor cool at stock settings but it won't hold up if you do any overclocking. You can go with a high end air cooler and ignore the extra noise or put out some money and go to water cooling.

So, now my question is - What do you want to do? Do you want suggestions for upgrading this particular system you all ready have build? Other than memory problems it sounds like it runs good. Or are you looking to start a brand new build and want suggestions for that?
February 20, 2011 12:02:16 PM

thank for the reply suteck, you pretty much covered everything, so the question now is:

a. Yes i would like suggestions in upgrading this particular system (for the future ya know hehe).

b. with my current mobo i cannot find the advanced options for setting ram latencies etc.., its even in the mobo manual but i cannot find it in the bios, also the place bought the C9 ram instead of the C8 any differences in that? (to get the ram to run i tried pretty much everything but the latency and stuff i couldn't find)

c. 1600 OC, means is that i need to overclock the processor to run at 1600?

d. Any suggestions for replacing the psu?

e. If i were to get all 4 ram sticks my only option would be doubling on the kingston, since those corsair came through the interwebz (i live in Panama, and we don't have high end computer part shops)
m
l
February 27, 2011 10:15:01 AM

Best answer selected by ithinkthisfitshere.
m
l
!