Nikon 5400 vs. Fuji E550

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 2, 2005 11:52:05 PM

Have trouble deciding between the nikon 5400 and Fuji E550. The Nikon is
$260, Fuji $320. Will mostly use for travel photography.

Thanks
Jiyang

More about : nikon 5400 fuji e550

February 4, 2005 1:47:30 AM

The Nikon 5400 is a great travel camera. I owned one and recently
upgraded to the Canon 20d. The 5400 is just the right size for
traveling. A four day cruise and a 1GB card is all you will need for
over a thousand pics. The 5400 also has the histogram feature that less
expensive cameras dont have. I also had the external flash Nikon makes
for the 5400 and I would recommend it IF you plan to take pics inside at
greater than 15 feet. The 5400 also has a video feature, sound too
which came in handy at times. The LCD display is very sharp on this
camera. Nikon even provided an update so the camera will take RAW pics
but I never used it except to try it once. I don't think you would be
disappointed.

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> Have trouble deciding between the nikon 5400 and Fuji E550. The Nikon is
> $260, Fuji $320. Will mostly use for travel photography.
>
> Thanks
> Jiyang

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:40:30 AM

I just bought a E550 two weeks ago. There are some critical parameters, to
me, that E550 is better

6 MP for the E550 vs 5 MP
VGA video @ 30 fps for length limited by storage capacity (E550) vs VGA
@ 15 fps for 70 second
RAW output (amazing quality when processed by PS converter)

I give more weight to image quality than other features. I found myself
using the video recording feature quite often. While it is nowhere near
perfect, but it eliminates the need to carry an extra camcorder. OTOH, the
5400 has these extra features

Wider lens (28 mm vs 32), important for nature and indoors
Closer focus (0.4" vs 3"), important for macro
Much longer (slower) shutter (up to 10 minutes vs 3 second), for low
light conditions and night scene
TTL external hot shoe for flash
Optional remote control

Price wise, they are almost identical. You need to decide which one has the
set of features that fits you better. When I need something that my E550
does not have, I simply fall back to my SLR, which I do carry around almost
all the time.

!