Window 7 home 64 bit 32 bit emulation

bfunch

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hello,
I have just bought a asus zenbbok with win 7 home 64 bit pre-installed. I have some old programmes which could run under XP. Any idea of how I get them to run under win 7 home 64 bil? As I understand it then I am not able to chose between 32 og 64 bit in the home version.

warhead0

Distinguished
Most applications should still be able to work perfectly fine.
Here's a few quick and easy ways to sort things out;

1. Run as administrator by simply right clicking the icon and choosing "Run as Administrator"

2. Run in compatibility mode; right click the icon and then choose properties, choose the compatibility tab, and then check run in compatibility mode box.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi bfunch,

Windows 7 Home Premium is indeed available in both 32-bit as well as 64-bit architectures. Microsoft does have a Compatibility Center available for Windows 7 here if you would like to confirm the compatibility or incompatibility of your applications or hardware.

Also, you may want to attempt to run the applications in question under the compatibility modes built directly into Windows 7. More information on how this can be done is found here.

Also, as a last resort, and as others have advised on this forum, if you wish to run incompatible applications within Windows 7, Microsoft does offer Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC to run a virtualized instance of Windows XP Professional 32-bit simultaneously with Windows 7.

To learn more about Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, please see the following resources:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro