Closed Solved

Help to move from AMD to Intel

Hello Everyone,

Today I have this configuration here:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (AMD 890GX)
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
2x Corsair XMS 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM
2x Corsair XMS3 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM
AMD XFX Radeon HD 6970 2Gb XXX Edition
Power Supply C3Tech PowerX 750W


2 HD Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB
2 HD SAMSUNG HD502HJ 500GB
-------------------RAID-----------------------------
AMD 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device (1862 GB)
AMD 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device (931 GB)

I am very disappointed with AMD instability and temperatures, I decided to move completly to INTEL.
I want to buy i7 2600k. Wich motherboard and components I should change on this configuration?

I like to have the best cost/performance. I have no plan to make SLI or Crossfire, I like good performace on disks, I prefer to make backup and take the risk with RAID0 only to have good performance.

Please, help me to improve my config.

Thanks a lot,
Procs
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help move intel
  1. Best answer
    You could go with a Core i5-2500k and save some money. You did not say what the system is for, but if it is gaming, the i5 is just as good.

    You would also do well with an ASUS or Gigabyte z68 motherboard. It does not matter which model, just get the one with the features you want. Mine(see my sig) is uATX and will still do dual vid cards if I am so inclined.

    The z68 will also come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers to help with your disk speed needs. I use it on my single drive and get a modest speed bump. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

    Looks like you have about everything else you need.
  2. your current build looks quite capable. what sort of problems are you having with your pc?
    i've never heard of a c3 tech psu before, is it 80+ certified?
    what type of cpu cooler do you use?
  3. de5_Roy said:
    your current build looks quite capable. what sort of problems are you having with your pc?
    i've never heard of a c3 tech psu before, is it 80+ certified?
    what type of cpu cooler do you use?


    No the c3 is not 80+ certifed. Is it a problem?

    I am using the standard cooler that come with the processor.

    Why?

    Procs
  4. tlmck said:
    You could go with a Core i5-2500k and save some money. You did not say what the system is for, but if it is gaming, the i5 is just as good.

    You would also do well with an ASUS or Gigabyte z68 motherboard. It does not matter which model, just get the one with the features you want. Mine(see my sig) is uATX and will still do dual vid cards if I am so inclined.

    The z68 will also come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers to help with your disk speed needs. I use it on my single drive and get a modest speed bump. http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

    Looks like you have about everything else you need.

    Thank you tlmck,

    What do you think about intel motherboards? why do you prefer Asus and Giga?

    Thanks again
    Procs
  5. is your psu a new one or an old one from a previous build?
  6. sosofm said:


    Thank you sosofm
    I will take a look on these motherboards...
    Procs
  7. de5_Roy said:
    is your psu a new one or an old one from a previous build?


    It is new, and it is very common here in Brazil.
    Why?

    Thanks,
    Procs
  8. I dont know if anyone else noticed this but the OP is using an AMD FX-8150 CPU with a M4A89GTD/PRO. I checked the ASUS website for CPU compatibility and it does list it as compatible with the MOBO but only with a Beta BIOS version 3027. Since the MOBO was not originally designed to work with that CPU it does not actually have an AM3+ CPU Socket. That probably explains the stability problems.
  9. procs said:
    Thank you tlmck,

    What do you think about intel motherboards? why do you prefer Asus and Giga?

    Thanks again
    Procs


    Intel motherboards are fine, but they are generally plain, overpriced at a given feature level, and very picky about ram.
  10. JKatwyopc said:
    I dont know if anyone else noticed this but the OP is using an AMD FX-8150 CPU with a M4A89GTD/PRO. I checked the ASUS website for CPU compatibility and it does list it as compatible with the MOBO but only with a Beta BIOS version 3027. Since the MOBO was not originally designed to work with that CPU it does not actually have an AM3+ CPU Socket. That probably explains the stability problems.


    Yes, you are rigth, I had phenon II 1100T before, the Fx8150 is almost the same performace and I had instability before but now is worse
    This is why I wanr to change my MOB
    Thanks
    Procs
  11. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to dissuade you from switching. I have a Phenom II 1090T in a Sabertooth 990FX mobo. I was thinking about upgrading to an FX processor but as you mentioned the difference in performance is so minimal that there's just no point. If you're looking for a significant increase in performance, Intel is definitely the way to go.
  12. I am a longtime AMD fan myself, and still run a lower end quad core in my HTPC. However, by every benchmark known to man, even my lowly Core i3-2100 is as fast at stock speed as the highest end AMD processor, at least when it comes to gaming.

    I also run AMD video cards mainly because at a given performance level, they burn way less power than Nvidia. This is important to those of us who pay our own electric bills.

    I also tend to stay about 2-3 years behind on the gaming curve. So basically my new low cost system is about as powerful as the high end was when the games came out. I also get most of my games off the $9.99 bargain rack. Even at 2-3 years old, they are still new to me.
  13. tlmck said:
    I am a longtime AMD fan myself, and still run a lower end quad core in my HTPC. However, by every benchmark known to man, even my lowly Core i3-2100 is as fast at stock speed as the highest end AMD processor, at least when it comes to gaming.

    I also run AMD video cards mainly because at a given performance level, they burn way less power than Nvidia. This is important to those of us who pay our own electric bills.

    I also tend to stay about 2-3 years behind on the gaming curve. So basically my new low cost system is about as powerful as the high end was when the games came out. I also get most of my games off the $9.99 bargain rack. Even at 2-3 years old, they are still new to me.


    Very nice idea, I used to change my computer almost every year and I expend a lot of money to increase 10/20% performace or less and now I am facing some instabilities for many reason....this is why I want to change again for something stable and to keep for 2 years at least.

    Thanks tlcmk
    Procs
  14. Hello

    I dicided to move to:

    Intel i7 2600k
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 or GA-Z68MA-D2H

    Any consideration?
    Thanks
    Procs
  15. Should be fine. If you are going uATX, I can highly recommend the ASUS board in my signature also. It has been flawless so far. It even performed a very mild overclock of my CPU and ram with a click of a mouse button in the BIOS.

    My only complaint was the slightly warped driver DVD that came with it. Sounded like a buzzsaw in my otherwise quiet Samsung drive. Not really an issue since it's all available on line.
  16. Best answer selected by Procs.
  17. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR3 Configuration AMD Product