guerilla_logic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hey guys,
I just built my first computer about a month back and when I first started running games it would sit at around 59-60 fps on League of legends and it might fluctuate between them a little. Now i have started to notice that the frame counter in the corner of the screen goes from 35 to 86 to 45 and jumps all over the place. It doesnt seem to lag at all but I have been told anything over 30 fps wont be noticeable. What I am concerned about is my graphics card going bad. This system only has 1 120 mm case fan in the back but there is spots for 1 in the front and 2 on top. Also my graphics card went crazy about a week ago it started artifacting and lagging really bad. I reloaded my OS and now it works but does the bad framerate thing now. What should I do? Install another case fan if its a heat issue? (where at top or front) or can anyone give me advice on why the card has gotten so unstable?

System specs:
MOBO: MSI P67A-C43
CPU: 2nd Gen Intel I5 3.3ghz
RAM: One 4GB stick of DDR 1333 Pioneer ram
Hard Drive: Seagate baracuda low power 5200rpm 1tb hd
Opticle drive: Generic dvd r+w
PSU: Ultra 550 lifetime series
Graphics Card: MSI N460GTX Twin FROZR II

Solution
Not at all. The power output each unit claims is the same.
No way without an independent review to know if the claim is true, and how well it performs under load. A heavily loaded budget PSU can lose the ability to regulate stable voltages to your parts.
That behavior is not unusual in many games. Had you changed the graphics settings and image filters at all? That alone could account for changes.

Have you been monitoring your CPU/GPU temps? HWMonitor
That would be how you'd know adding case fans would be a good idea. What case are you using?

Do you have the model number of that Ultra PSU? It could be the 'bad actor' in the artifacting incident. They don't have a very good reputation.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Normally, I'd agree wit WR2 in that it's not unusual, since at a low intensity moment (sitting around between fights) it would be at a higher frame-rate because it's not processing anything other than background and NPCs, where as during fights it would be expected to drop since it's now processing the aggressive motions of attackers and what not.

But if it suddenly started happening, and it's the same game and graphical intensity of the surroundings, AND you haven't changed any of the setting in your game, OS, or graphics card's settings, then the issue could very well be an early warning that it's going bad.
Mind you, you might also want to ask anyone who might have been on your computer if they dinked with it at all. That's the main reason nobody touches my gaming computer but me lol

guerilla_logic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
oh sorry those were mobo temps but the cpu temps are from 39 to 42 per core idling... I bought my card off of tiger direct and I was wondering if it goes bad do I call them or MSI it has a 3 year waranty. and what do you think 1 more case fan or is that too much for this PSU. I want to upgrade to around an antec 750 but I need another 100 bucks before I can do that.

It's not about having enough power... fan's don't use much at all about 2watts for a high performance LED fan.
It's about do you need one .. which the operating temp on high load will tell you.

Before 30 days you work with TigerDirect. After 30 days you work with the MFGR.

guerilla_logic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
GPU maxed out at 49c CPU cores 1-4 47c 53c 57c 59c. The thing is if I mount a front exhaust fan it will be pushing air right off the graphics card and psu. Because the psu is bottom mount its fan blows directly at my two graphics card fans.

guerilla_logic

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'm using the ThermalTake v3 black. PS I would think it's a very bad sign if my graphics card started only fluctuating from 59 to 60 to doing what it is now. It just seems very unstable but if it starts artifacting again I guess ill get a new one from MSI because the card really does make WoW and LoL look stunning on Ultra at 60fps. PS I have been told this PSU is fine and that it sucks. This is very confusing because it got all good revues but that was only from people who were using it in a family type computer not a gaming rig.

Here is the data plate for a Antec 400W PSU. It shows 30Amps on the +12V rail.
17-371-029-Z05

The Ultra LSP 550W PSU has the same 30Amps on the +12V rail.
From the TigerDirect website on the Ultra LSP 550W PSU

Not at all. The power output each unit claims is the same.
No way without an independent review to know if the claim is true, and how well it performs under load. A heavily loaded budget PSU can lose the ability to regulate stable voltages to your parts.

Solution
1. Run OCCT's GPU and CPU tests....monitor he temps / voltages throughout and look at the graphs at the end of the test which make it easy to spot any anomalies

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

I wouldn't run the PSU test as it's been known to destroy low quality PSU's. If you decide to replace, the XFX 650 Core Edition ois the best bang for the buck atm. Gets a 9.5 performance rating at jonnyguru and is only $65 after $30 MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002

2. Yes, install the optional case fans .... cooler is always better.