Which Internal Connections do I use?

ksha

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Dear All,

I would like to know what are the optimum internal connections to use with the following hardware.

The Motherboard that I have is a Gigabyte x58A-UD5 Rev 2.0.

The devices that I need to connect to this MoBo are:

1. Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10000RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache

2. Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BluRay ROM DVDRW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATAII Optical Drive

Looking at the schematic layout of the Mobo I am trying to understand what are the best connectors to use for the above devices mentioned. I will not be doing any hot-swapping of hard drives. There are the SATA2 3Gb/s ICH10R connectors, GSATA Gigabyte 3Gb/s connectors and SATA 6Gb/s Marvell 9128 connectors).

Manual found here:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud5_v2.0_e.pdf (see Page 29)

Also, should I use AHCI or just stick to IDE? From what I have read on fiorums there are different schools of thought on this.

Any help on this will be HUGELY appreciated!

Cheers
ks

Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Impressive setup! Connect the HDD containing the OS and the Blu Ray to these ports: Marvell 9128 chip:
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to
2 SATA 6Gb/s devices

I set my option to IDE on my computer.

ksha

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for your reply! I heard that a lot of people say that the ICH10R is faster? Is that true?

Unless you are transferring very large files day in and day out, the speed differences are not noticeable. Try different setups and do a time study on backup times. I tried to compare eSATA to USB3 for my monthly backups. In most instances, I started the backup and then walked away. By the time I got back to the computer, the backup was complete. I quit worrying about the backup times.

Read posts on different forums about ICH10R. That may give you a clearer picture.