Cosair Vengeance Memory and MSI P67A-C43 (B3), 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevhburloak

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi,

I assembled my first gaming PC, so bit a bit fresh here. Everything is working fine except the memory speed. I have:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) 2 x 4Gig
Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43 (B3)
Intel i5 2500k cpu. Overclocked using OC Genie to 4.2 (no problem).

I've played with a few settings in the BIOS for the RAM, but I can't seem to get the memory speed to 1600. It only shows it at 1333 in CPU-Z.

Could someone tell me what specific settings I need to change to get the memory speed up to 1600?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Check the timing tables in CPU-Z. There should be a couple of JDEC tables listed in the memory section as well as XMP settings. Make sure that the RAM is reporting that XMP is indeed 1600MHz opperation (800MHz listed).

If the XMP table lists 800MHz and you have it enabled then you'll need to update your BIOS which is available on MSI's website under your MB's page. If that still doesn't work, or you've confirmed you have the latest version start a support ticket with MSI let them know what's up. They can send you a beta BIOS too if needed.

mikevhburloak

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
OK, I confirmed XMP is enabled in the BIOs.

however CPU-Z still tells me the following:

Memory Tab
- DRAM Frequency: 665.2 MHz

SPD Tab
- For Slot#1 and 3 where my memory is, Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700H (667 MHz)

Maybe these indicators are fine and I'm actually getting 1600?

Thanks for the help!

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Check the timing tables in CPU-Z. There should be a couple of JDEC tables listed in the memory section as well as XMP settings. Make sure that the RAM is reporting that XMP is indeed 1600MHz opperation (800MHz listed).

If the XMP table lists 800MHz and you have it enabled then you'll need to update your BIOS which is available on MSI's website under your MB's page. If that still doesn't work, or you've confirmed you have the latest version start a support ticket with MSI let them know what's up. They can send you a beta BIOS too if needed.

Solution

mikevhburloak

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Got it working! Memory is now showing 1600!!!

I upgraded the BIOS (after a fair amount of reading...) from 1.12 to 1.17.

Strange thing. Before the BIOS upgrade, I couldn't actual edit the XMP to enabled in the BIOS settings. Depending on the boot, it would be set on its own to Disabled or Enabled. Didn't make a difference though, as the memory was always showing 1333. It was a read-only setting.

After upgrade, I was able to freely edit it. Did so, and the memory is now 1600 in CPU-Z!

Thank you very much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS