Seagate 2X 1.5 TB
Samsung 2 X 2 TB
Hitachi 3 TB
PC Power & Cooling 950 W Silencer II
Nvidia GTX 470 X 2
Corsair 600T
ASUS DVD RW
ASUS 24' Monitor

The computer was working fine until this AM. Checked e-mail and let the rig go into sleep/hibernate. Tried to get it to wake up and no video. Even after recycling power no video, even for BIOS. The USB hub lights, but no lights to Microsoft USB keyboard or Logitech gaming keypad.

Turned off computer and unplugged it for complete recycle: no video
Reset BIOS switch: no luck
Pulled video cards and tried different cards in different PCI slots: no good
Hit onboard reset switch: no luck

I have a Biostar H67 to try out to see if other components fail and will swap out this afternoon. I also have a Corsair 650 W TX sitting idle and will try that too.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

a c 717 V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 4:58:49 PM

Whenever, assuming, Hybrid Sleep (S3+S4) messes-up and assuming again it's the cause I recommend using the 'Reset' button.

In addition, I'm not a fan of EPU (IES) so try to Disable and/or Uninstall EPU (IES) (energy savings) e.g. ATXU utilities.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 2:05:52 AM

I swapped the mobo: no luck.
I swapped the PSU: no luck.
I reset the BIOS: no luck
I tried using the IGU on the 2500K with an H67 mobo: no luck.
When I shut down the system, the cable modem indicates the rig is asleep.
Score
Related resources
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:00:23 AM

That's a real boggle.... you've done everything a person can do, but change the Mobo :) 
I wonder what was the wake up event that you specified in the BIOS.....
Even that seems to have been reset.
Does your keyboard have a Sleep Button on it?
If it does, maybe you need to try to wake it up from that button.
First that button and if nothing happens press the Power button on the case.
See what happens.
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:01:24 AM

Wow!! I missed that, you even swapped your Mobo..... did the Processor go to sleep????? :( 
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 10:36:13 AM

The problem arose after a normal sleep/hibernate cycle. There were no changes in wake up events from previous cycles. It's like Snow White: its fallen asleep and nothing has woken her up.
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 3:52:14 PM

Jaquith..... :(  the rig is just not coming out of sleep. Even after resetting the BIOS, changing the Mobo ...... it's not coming on...... just not snapping out of it.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 3:58:37 PM

If the OP can post into the BIOS then chances are it's an OS and corruption issue.

However, if the OP cannot even post in the BIOS then from what I've seen the only common element is the CPU or RAM. Suggest (1) stick of RAM in the correct DIMM slot; see manual.
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:03:29 PM

No No.... it's like whatever he changes in the system doesn't seem to make a difference to the processor, it just stays asleep. No boot , No Post, no os in the background. Like a dead PSU leaking just enough current to keep the leds in a state of sleep indication. Nothing else moves as it's supposed to....
Any idea? Cos I am BAFFLED.
Score

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:52:36 PM

No Post/Post Failure - has zip to do with OS; sure try to disconnect the HDD(s) to fully rule-out the OS/HDD's. Which leaves you with trying (1) stick of RAM; Failure again then that leaves only the CPU = BAD; assuming Op follows a proper breadboard procedure - all other common elements being ruled-out.

When I breadboard - MINIMAL CPU, MOBO, 1 Stick, PSU, GPU/iGPU, Stock HSF - all outside the case. No KB/Mouse, No USB headers, extra fans or doodads, no HDD/ODD. IF you have a failure swap out, as OP has, common elements. The OP supposedly ruled-out:
MOBO
PSU
GPU
'hopefully' RAM
'hopefully' peripherals
Leaves CPU

Sleep is a happenstance. However, I've had a hiberfil.sys get corrupted, 9/10 fixed by a reset or forced reboot (holding Power button).
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:36:17 PM

I'd try to change the parameters in the BIOS if I could get to the BIOS screen. I can't get there. Yet, it seems that the BIOS parameters were reset between the jumpering and the reset BIOS switch (I can tell because of fan speed). It looks more and more likely to be the CPU.

In the mean time I'm going to try pulling some RAM and seeing if there is any change.

BTW, I also tried to awaken it by a media sharing request from a networked laptop. No luck with that either.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:46:37 PM

Just do a minimal breadboard, you name it I've seen it. Heck I've seen a Cases' wiring (short) cause a Post Failure and even a shorted USB mouse. I tend to assume everything is bad until I can swap components. Further, I've seen standoff's, I/O shields, multiple component failures, shorting back plates, etc... Hence the stock HSF. Then short the Power terminals to start (rules-out a bad switch).

Troubleshooting is a PITA for anyone. :( 
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 3:16:38 AM

That's exactly my point jaq... you're either getting me wrong or then haven't been keeping up..... you said "If the OP can post into the BIOS then chances are it's an OS and corruption issue. "
After he'd already given the details of the problem way before that telling us there no POST.

Then you go on to insist that
"No Post/Post Failure - has zip to do with OS"
we all know that, that's the reason we're trying to find out if the Processor has gone phut, but, the reason still remains unknown.

Then even before that you tell him"Try Windows 7 Recovery - boot F8 with OS DVD, first try a Restore Point if that fails Startup Repair "

I really feel you're not reading the question and what the OP has tried to do .....
His very first post say No Post..... after resets and xyz tries...
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 3:22:48 AM

The jumpers that you have changed.... er just check if you've put them back where they were supposed to be. And confirm....
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 10:42:01 AM

You can take -> "...rig go into sleep/hibernate. Tried to get it to wake up and no video. a lot of different ways and it was unclear. I took it as Boot Failure and not Post Failure. Further, I noted "Even after recycling power no video, even for BIOS.", but a corrupted hiberfil.sys can do the same, the PC is essentially past a 'Post' state. Using the Reset or pulling the HDD is often the only route to 're-posting' into the BIOS.

Bottom line, I don't care about semantics, and the only thing that I care about ever in a thread is resolving the issue for the OP - period.

I even had a hybrid sleep black screen issue -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24038-63-pita-wake-hy... but I knew how to recover from that limbo state, and I've had worst with black screens only.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 4:27:54 PM

I jumpered (from 23 to 12 and back to 23) it and replaced the default. I cannot get the system even to boot: it just turns off and returns to the sleep state. I've tried pulling the HDDs & SSD to get a boot to BIOS. I ordered a new CPU (and I can use it in a second Sandybridge rig later) to swap out the CPU.

I will keep swapping out components until I can locate what is causing the sleep state.

I have to think that it is a hardware problem as I have never had a OS or even BIOS problem that will not even let me get a computer to POST.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 5:49:45 PM

If you cannot Post with the HDD/SSD disconnected, Clear CMOS fails, and you've swapped-out everything else then I don't know how it can anything but a BAD CPU.
Score
a c 85 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 3:23:13 AM

Now it seems that the processor isn't Asleep but Dead.....
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 1:42:14 PM

If it were dead the system would not be in sleep, I rather think that it's in a coma.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 2:12:27 PM

Like mentioned, you've isolated everything. The only remote possibility as to the cause might be from a bad PSU -- when the PC goes into hybrid sleep there's a wattage spike. However, my feeling is it's happenstance. I have a boat load of PC's and have been using hybrid sleep for a very longtime. Yeah sure there's the occasional PITA issue and issues often preventing hybrid sleep, but 'I' cannot figure out a hardware damaging connection.

My conclusion is 'stuff' happens and thank you for warranties.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 4:44:56 PM

It could have been a spike from the PSU, but the PSU was purchased in July and (although a Sifra build) it is PCP&C. I'm thinking that it is a defective processor, but a spike is also possible. The new CPU arrives tommorrow and it will prove/disprove my theory. If it is the CPU then I'll get an Intel warranty RMA. If not, I have almost completed my backup build: i3 2125, Biostar H67, Corsair 650W TX, & 8 GB Corsair 1333. Not a bad backup.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2012 10:55:18 PM

alyoshka said:
That's a real boggle.... you've done everything a person can do, but change the Mobo :) 
I wonder what was the wake up event that you specified in the BIOS.....
Even that seems to have been reset.
Does your keyboard have a Sleep Button on it?
If it does, maybe you need to try to wake it up from that button.
First that button and if nothing happens press the Power button on the case.
See what happens.

I finally breadboarded it with a new CPU & mobo. Looks like they both went south at the same time. Other components check out OK. I guess I'll have to see how good the warranties are.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2012 10:57:38 PM

Best answer selected by Chesteracorgi.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 28, 2012 11:13:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!