I want a dualcore processor but I play a lot of single core games...

Prospero87

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Hi all :D

I've been seriously considering buying a core 2 duo E8500, however I've had bad experiences with multi-core CPU's and my older games. I tend to play a lot of games that don't support dual core, and so they worked badly (stuttering, low FPS, infuriating stuff like that.)

It's a bit of a dilemma, because I really want to play some newer games, but without sacrificing performance of my older ones. Is there some way to fix the stuttering issues without giving me a headache for every single old game I play?

Also, my graphics card is a geforce 9800 GT, and my OS is XP.

(Please no "you should play newer games etc" because frankly, newer games don't interest me a great deal. there are literally about two of em I want to run on my system.)

Thankyou all!! :D

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
What type of single core CPU are you using? AMD or Intel? CPU type, model-speed etc?
I do understand as many newer games are using crap DRM.I hate DRM but never pirate software..
You could get a better graphics card although if your CPU is not up to par it won't make enough of a difference.
See here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935-7.html

A nice kick ass single core CPU would be a Sempron 145 for older gaming (Much better than a Pentium 4 or earlier Athlon 64 CPU.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Sempron+145

basket687

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
A dual core processor should have no problem at all running old games, but the E8500 is relatively old and there is no point buying it now (there are much better options).

Using a multi-core cpu will not cause stuttering or low fps in older games. It could only make it better, not worse, unless the dual core is much slower clock speed than the single core. For instance a 3ghz single core will play an older game better than a 2ghz dual core.

You must have some other issue.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Only if they are the same architecture. A P4 3.0 Ghz would not beat a Celeron 430 at 1.8 Ghz.

Krangthebrain

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Just change the processor affinity for that process in task manager when you start the game up. I do it all the time to play the older games like PS:Torment and System Shock 2.

Using a multi-core cpu will not cause stuttering or low fps in older games. It could only make it better, not worse, unless the dual core is much slower clock speed than the single core. For instance a 3ghz single core will play an older game better than a 2ghz dual core.

No, it won't, because the C2D line is so much faster clock for clock; I've seen a lowly 1.6GHz C2D beat a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 head to head.

A dual-core shouldn't ever be slower then a single core, regardless of clockspeed.