Dead powersupply and Harddisk

61laz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
So 2 days ago my dad powered on the pc and immediately heard some weird noises of electricity or something and he obviously pulled out the power cable then I came to the pc and already smelled that something did burn and yes the power supply burned It may be caused of the immense load of dust that whas inside the power supply but im not sure so he bought a new power supply (Coolermaster 400 Watt) and I installed it in the case and I connected everything like it should be and after that checked it for a second time I whas sure everthing whas connected on the way it should be connected and powered it on when I powered it on I saw sparks coming out of the bottom of the Harddisk I whas like WTF pulled out the harddisk and looked on the bottom and saw some of the Chips or whatever you called these black square things on it was burned. So after that I tought lets make a thread on Tom’s hardware and see if there are people that may know what problem I have. And may have a solution so would really appreciate if someone knows whats causing this.

A 400w Cooler Master PSU is not a good choice, i imagine it was a pretty cheap unit around $20? If so it may try to take other stuff down with it, their low end units are pretty crappy.

The hard drive was likely screwed once the PSU blew, it probably took a surge and giving it power again just finished off the ICs for good.

What you will need is a good power supply and a new hard drive to get the system back up an running, but you should also look at the capacitors on the motherboard to make sure none of them are blown or bulging at the top, if they are the board is cooked too and its time for a new system.