Troubles with my first build

jacobo82

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Hi,
I just built my first PC and i'm not having the best of luck so far. The build went fine along with the initial install of Windows 7. After a few hours of normal use the computer completely froze. After reboot I let Windows run the repair utility which did not work. Eventually I was able to do a recovery but once it recovered it was not running smooth. I then decided to just reformat and reinstall Windows 7.

Once again everything went smooth and then after a few hours of use it froze again. It would not start up and required a recovery which was successful. A couple hours later the PC the crashed again and is now not allowing recovery or even safe mode. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I haven't installed any major software except the gigabyte disk with programs and drivers, windows updates and a couple small programs such as google chrome and logmein. I have the following components on this computer.

Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor

GA-880GM-UD2H Socket AM3 880G mATX Motherboard

Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

2GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 1GB Memory Modules)

What Power Supply do you have?

Well, Enermax makes some good Power Supplies :)
Still, could be an issue depending on what else you have in your build. Could you give a full list of components? :bounce:

jacobo82

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Here are the full components. I should also add that the first time I installed Windows 7 prior to getting to partitioning drives it took some time for the Windows 7 setup to start. Also, the first time it crashed it took a good several hours for it to crash but by the 4th reinstall it crashed within about 15 minutes without a successful recovery. Sound more like a power supply issue?

Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Boxed Processor

GA-880GM-UD2H Socket AM3 880G mATX Motherboard

Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

2GB DDR3-1333 (PC-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 1GB Memory Modules)

So, no optical drives, or video cards, extra case fans, sound cards, that type of thing?

jacobo82

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
@WR2 - Unfortunately i'm not at home to check PSU Model number at the moment.

@Clark jd- No additional components just running off the integrated sound/video components on the motherboard and utilizing just the fans that came with it.

jacobo82

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Boy has this been quite the learning experience!

After many tests on the RAM including what you guys recommended along with multiple memtests I ruled out that memory was the issue. On a hunch prior to trying a new PSU I replaced the HDD. Install went smooth and I've been running solid for a full day now. Hopefully it keeps goin smooth.

Thanks you Clark jd and WR2 for your help!