3 long beeps then display shuts down..computer hangs

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Just built my PC and having an issue. It runs for a while and then gives off 3 beeps that sustain almost 2 seconds long and shuts down. The power stays on, but the monitor goes dead and the OS crashes as well.

I did see a blue screen last time, but it dissapeared before I could get the error code.

The temperatures are between 33 and 38 celcius.

CPU is an AMD Phenom II 965. Motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H, RAM is Gskill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit. I know it says that the RAM is compatible on the gigabyte site, and it seems to see it all when I looked on the control panel. PSU is a corsair 600 watt .

Are there BIOS settings I need to change? Maybe tweak the RAM somehow? I also installed the Presnus firebox, and it seems to be working fine, but that is all I have installed so far.

OS is Win 64 home premium.

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
It says pagefault error in page in the bluescreen..thats all I could get.

Uggh..this guide..why have I never seen it before..I didnt have any standoffs to screw into the motherboard..none came with it!! Have I ruined this system already???

My case is has raised bumps for the screws, and I didnt know I needed standoffs...am i screwed already?? this sucks!!

How do i get the right RAM speed and set that up in the BIOS? this is getting ovewhelming

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I probably used too much paste too..feeling like I just threw away hard earned money and my computer is going to be F'd up now for good.

I think this case has built in standoffs..they are raised dimples..I have to make sure. Its a rosewil 102...if anyone can help me out with more ideas and how to proplerly setup my RAM that would be great.

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Ok..I don't get why the RAM would not work.. I will have to pull out one at a time..I have windows installed and everything and now this is happening an hour later..Are there any guides to properly setting up the RAM in my bios??

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I don't know..I am reading more and more that I need to do manual settings with this specific RAM..I am hoping that is the case. The good news is my mobo is mounted right, the OS is installed..I am hoping that it is just the RAM because that would really help my sanity.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi probass :hello: ...I am not being a smart arse,but your motherboards manual should have it written up some where & if you read carefully & not go quickly through I am sure that you will find the problem :pt1cable: ...

probass

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
YEah..I dont see beep codes in there or I would. I tweaked the settings in my RAM..the voltage was wrong on the auto setting..I am hoping this works. So far it has been on for 25 minutes. I am running Prime 95 stress test on it while I sleep and if it is on with no errors when I wake up, is it safe to figure that everything is fixed?