Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this PSU do the job for my computer?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 21, 2011 10:33:17 PM

Just wanting to know if this PSU will do the job for my computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
OC: Windows 7 64 bit
Case: HAF-912 (I ordered an extra 200mm fan to go with it)
Video Card: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC

Here is the video card link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im just really looking for a simple yes/no, but i really do appreciate any other concerns/information.

Thanks

More about : psu job computer

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 10:58:50 PM

silverbrit said:
Just wanting to know if this PSU will do the job for my computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



System Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB
OC: Windows 7 64 bit
Case: HAF-912 (I ordered an extra 200mm fan to go with it)
Video Card: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC

Here is the video card link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im just really looking for a simple yes/no, but i really do appreciate any other concerns/information.

Thanks

Yup, it will be just fine. You could even SLi those and still have power. Also, OC that CPU or you will get a bottleneck unless you are planning on playing on res above 1080p with all AA and AF. I would suggest a nice cooler and an OC to 3+ Ghz.
m
0
l
May 21, 2011 11:09:41 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yup, it will be just fine. You could even SLi those and still have power. Also, OC that CPU or you will get a bottleneck unless you are planning on playing on res above 1080p with all AA and AF. I would suggest a nice cooler and an OC to 3+ Ghz.


What is a bottleneck? A cooler for what? What cooler are you sugguesting?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:15:09 PM

Your cpu is not fast enough to keep up with a GTX560. You will need to overclock to at least 3ghz.

That psu is more than enough for TWO GTX560's. A decent 500w unit would be sufficient even with overclocking the cpu.
m
0
l
May 21, 2011 11:23:46 PM

geekapproved said:
Your cpu is not fast enough to keep up with a GTX560. You will need to overclock to at least 3ghz.

That psu is more than enough for TWO GTX560's. A decent 500w unit would be sufficient even with overclocking the cpu.



How can i overclock my cpu? Does he mean if i overclock my cpu i will need to buy a better cooler for the cpu?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:26:34 PM

You can probably get some overclock with the stock cooler, just keep an eye one temps. Use CPUID HW monitor.

Google "how to overclock Q8200".
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:35:42 PM

silverbrit said:
What is a bottleneck? A cooler for what? What cooler are you sugguesting?

Your CPU feeds information to your GPU, but when your CPU is not feeding it fast enough, the GPU isn't being used to it's full potential. Your CPU might being running at 100% usage, and your GPU at 60% usage. A 3Ghz Core 2 Quad should fix that. After you overclock, your CPU will have the power to feed it all the information. I would suggest a A70 if you case can fit it, or a CM 212+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 1:05:04 AM

I might just buy a new CPU/motherboard
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:32:29 AM

silverbrit said:
I might just buy a new CPU/motherboard

Not worth it. Just OC. A $30 cooler and a nice OC, you will be set.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:54:01 AM

silverbrit said:
I might just buy a new CPU/motherboard


That will require new ram too.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 2:28:59 AM

geekapproved said:
That will require new ram too.

That depends. Some new motherboard will support 800Mhz if he has it.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 2:48:05 AM

Remeber that my graphic card im getting is OC Aswell and your sentence didnt make to much sence "Not worth it. Just OC. A $30 cooler and a nice OC" Your said OC Twice so kinda confused
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 2:48:51 AM

geekapproved said:
That will require new ram too.



So i need a new PSU, OC my CPU, Get a Cooler for CPU and new ram possibly?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 3:31:54 AM

silverbrit said:
Remeber that my graphic card im getting is OC Aswell and your sentence didnt make to much sence "Not worth it. Just OC. A $30 cooler and a nice OC" Your said OC Twice so kinda confused

I mean juts get a new cooler, no new motherboard/CPU and OC the heck out of the CPU. (You could get 3Ghz easy)
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 3:32:55 AM

silverbrit said:
So i need a new PSU, OC my CPU, Get a Cooler for CPU and new ram possibly?

He is saying if you upgraded your CPU and motherboard, then you would need new RAM, which isn't necessarily true. Just get a nice cooler and OC your CPU.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 3:45:16 AM

Bad news guys just figured out that its almost impossible to oc my Q8200 because its OEM... :C any suggestions?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 3:47:31 AM

silverbrit said:
Bad news guys just figured out that its almost impossible to oc my Q8200 because its OEM... :C any suggestions?

A lower-powered card. What is your resolution? If it is 1080 I would suggest a hd6850 or GTX 460 max.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 4:01:59 AM

HostileDonut said:
A lower-powered card. What is your resolution? If it is 1080 I would suggest a hd6850 or GTX 460 max.



Im prob going to get the MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC, just my cpu/motherboard wont work with it so.

Resolution is: 1920x1080
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 4:03:31 AM

silverbrit said:
Im prob going to get the MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC, just my cpu/motherboard wont work with it so.

Resolution is: 1920x1080

Okay, what games will you play? If you are going to play very intensive GPU games, go ahead, if you are just going to play games like CoD, don't do it.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 4:15:46 AM

HostileDonut said:
Okay, what games will you play? If you are going to play very intensive GPU games, go ahead, if you are just going to play games like CoD, don't do it.



Well BF3 when it comes out, im playing BFBC2. Wow :/  when i think about it, im not sure if i even need that good of a graphic card. Do you agree? If so what graphic cards are there for me to chose
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 4:19:48 AM

silverbrit said:
Well BF3 when it comes out, im playing BFBC2. Wow :/  when i think about it, im not sure if i even need that good of a graphic card. Do you agree? If so what graphic cards are there for me to chose

I would say grab a hd6870 because BF3 will be pretty demanding.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 4:27:36 AM

HostileDonut said:
I would say grab a hd6870 because BF3 will be pretty demanding.


Is the HD6870 better than MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC ?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 4:50:57 AM

silverbrit said:
Is the HD6870 better than MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC ?

Nope. It is a bit worse. Your CPU will bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 5:00:23 AM

HostileDonut said:
Nope. It is a bit worse. Your CPU will bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti.



Wouldnt it be my GTX 560 would bottleneck my CPU?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 5:06:00 AM

silverbrit said:
Wouldnt it be my GTX 560 would bottleneck my CPU?

No. I'll explain a bottleneck. Your CPU "feeds" your GPU information. When you have a very fast GPU, but a slowish CPU, the CPU can't "feed" the information to the GPU quick enough. Your CPU may be running 100% in some games, where your GPU will be running at 60%. Some ways to reduce bottleneck is by making your game settings higher, putting more work on the GPU, evening it out. Since your res is "only" 1080p, you will still bottleneck. Grab a hd6870 and then in future games you won't get such a bottleneck. The slower thing in the system is the bottleneck if that makes since. Get it now?
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 5:18:24 AM

HostileDonut said:
No. I'll explain a bottleneck. Your CPU "feeds" your GPU information. When you have a very fast GPU, but a slowish CPU, the CPU can't "feed" the information to the GPU quick enough. Your CPU may be running 100% in some games, where your GPU will be running at 60%. Some ways to reduce bottleneck is by making your game settings higher, putting more work on the GPU, evening it out. Since your res is "only" 1080p, you will still bottleneck. Grab a hd6870 and then in future games you won't get such a bottleneck. The slower thing in the system is the bottleneck if that makes since. Get it now?


Yeah, well i might just get a new mother board and cpu and get new graphic card in the future :D 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 5:23:33 AM

silverbrit said:
Yeah, well i might just get a new mother board and cpu and get new graphic card in the future :D 

Okay, if that's what you really want to do. Well, want a suggestion on a motherboard and CPU?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 5:25:58 AM

If you do want a suggestion, what is your budget?
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 6:14:33 AM

HostileDonut said:
If you do want a suggestion, what is your budget?



About no more then 250$
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:01:08 PM

HostileDonut said:
That depends. Some new motherboard will support 800Mhz if he has it.


So a s1155 or AM3+ mobo that uses 800mhz DDR2? Good luck finding one of those, lol.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 1:07:19 PM

What is the best GPU that wont make the CPU Bottleneck for the Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 2:16:37 PM

Even a 5770 would probably be bottlenecked at 2.33ghz

I've seen a test on Tom's where a X2 7850 at 2.8ghz bottlenecked a 4770, of course that was the older phenom I architecture.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 2:23:00 PM

geekapproved said:
Even a 5770 would probably be bottlenecked at 2.33ghz

I've seen a test on Tom's where a X2 7850 at 2.8ghz bottlenecked a 4770, of course that was the older phenom I architecture.



So your pretty much saying if i want a decent graphi card i need a better cpu/motherboard.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 5:33:01 PM

silverbrit said:
So your pretty much saying if i want a decent graphi card i need a better cpu/motherboard.


No I'm saying I wouldn't bother getting anything better than a GTX460.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 5:34:17 PM

HostileDonut said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... DDR2 800 and 1066 if you have those

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Less than $250. Later, upgrade to DDR3 1600 and a nice GPU.


AM3 motherboards require DDR3. You cannot use DDR2 on it. LOL

Besides "upgrading" to AM3 makes no sense. It's already obsolete.

He'd could get a i3-2100 and a Z68 for cheaper than that AM3 you posted (and faster for gaming) and he could upgrade to a i7 in a year. Really he could even just use a $70 H67 or hell I'm using a $60 H61.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 6:39:06 PM

geekapproved said:
AM3 motherboards require DDR3. You cannot use DDR2 on it. LOL

Besides "upgrading" to AM3 makes no sense. It's already obsolete.

He'd could get a i3-2100 and a Z68 for cheaper than that AM3 you posted (and faster for gaming) and he could upgrade to a i7 in a year. Really he could even just use a $70 H67 or hell I'm using a $60 H61.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...



Well ok heres my new sitiuation, my budget is exactly 375$.

This is what im probally going to get:

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 259$

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 89$

So thats already $342.97 including shipping.

I know my CPU will bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti, but i read it wont bottleneck it too much. (also im not too worried at the moment because in the future if i upgrade my motherboard it will go faster etc.)


Any suggestions/concerns/opinions are greatly appreciated.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 7:28:22 PM

I wouldn't use a rocketfish to power my usb coffee warmer. It's likely a 350w unit (being generous) labeled as a 500w, and will likely explode somewhere around 400w.

You could try it, but beware.

This psu will work great for you and is a bit cheaper, but it only has a 3yr warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
May 22, 2011 8:14:00 PM

geekapproved said:
I wouldn't use a rocketfish to power my usb coffee warmer. It's likely a 350w unit (being generous) labeled as a 500w, and will likely explode somewhere around 400w.

You could try it, but beware.

This psu will work great for you and is a bit cheaper, but it only has a 3yr warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ok thank you for your help.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 8:14:54 PM

Best answer selected by silverbrit.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 8:19:01 PM

geekapproved said:
AM3 motherboards require DDR3. You cannot use DDR2 on it. LOL

Besides "upgrading" to AM3 makes no sense. It's already obsolete.

He'd could get a i3-2100 and a Z68 for cheaper than that AM3 you posted (and faster for gaming) and he could upgrade to a i7 in a year. Really he could even just use a $70 H67 or hell I'm using a $60 H61.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

It says it'll take 800Mhz. I am not an expert, but that sounds like DDR2. Also, he could grab this DDR3 1600Mhz to go with it for $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also AM3 is not outdated. An OCed to 4Ghz Phenom II X2 or X4 will be about the same as a i3 2100. The only reason Intel's i3 is winning now is because games normally use 2 threads. Wait till they use four, the Phenom II X4 @ even 3Ghz will win. If he OCed it, he could get a whopping 4+ Ghz with a decent cooler.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 9:31:00 PM

HostileDonut said:
It says it'll take 800Mhz. I am not an expert, but that sounds like DDR2. Also, he could grab this DDR3 1600Mhz to go with it for $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also AM3 is not outdated. An OCed to 4Ghz Phenom II X2 or X4 will be about the same as a i3 2100. The only reason Intel's i3 is winning now is because games normally use 2 threads. Wait till they use four, the Phenom II X4 @ even 3Ghz will win. If he OCed it, he could get a whopping 4+ Ghz with a decent cooler.


Your clearly not and expert. 800mhz DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDRTHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THAT BOARD CLEARLY SAYS DDR3, AS WITH ALL AM3 MOTHERBOARDS, 800mhz-1600mhz DDR3 , PLEASE GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD, YOU CANNOT USE DDR2.

DDR2 won't even physically fit in the slot.

Stop giving him false information. Your telling him to buy something that's not even going to work together.

AM3 is obsolete come next month. It has no upgrade path.

The i3-2100 is the best gaming cpu in the $125 range ($110 now), uses half the power, and has a much better upgrade path.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-int...

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 9:59:01 PM

geekapproved said:
Your clearly not and expert. 800mhz DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDRTHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THAT BOARD CLEARLY SAYS DDR3, AS WITH ALL AM3 MOTHERBOARDS, 800mhz-1600mhz DDR3 , PLEASE GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD, YOU CANNOT USE DDR2.

DDR2 won't even physically fit in the slot.

Stop giving him false information. Your telling him to buy something that's not even going to work together.

AM3 is obsolete come next month. It has no upgrade path.

The i3-2100 is the best gaming cpu in the $125 range ($110 now), uses half the power, and has a much better upgrade path.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-int...

Okay, I looked for 800Mhz DDR3 and couldn't find any, so I figured it must have mean't DDR2. A Phenom II X4 will smoke a core i3 come a year or two. Just because it's not the newest tech doesn't in any way make it obsolete. Okay, I screwed up, but it's a small mistake that you could have kindly notified me of. Which you didn't.... Gosh, don't be such a jerk. I don't know everything, so I could use some learning. Same with you..... In the kindness area that is...
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 11:12:38 PM

Guys im not even reading this any more ive decided what i want :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 11:46:59 PM

silverbrit said:
Guys im not even reading this any more ive decided what i want :) 

Okay, what exactly are you getting?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 1:14:24 PM

How could it "mean" ddr2 when it clearly says ddr3? lol

It was really diffucult to find, took me an entire 4 seconds.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ddr3-800

DDR2 WILL NOT FIT IN A DDR3 SLOT, so how could you use it anyways??


I'm still trying to figure out how a 955 is going to smoke a i3 in a year or two. lol

Besides in a year or two he can pick up a i7 that will be twice as fast as a 955. If he get's the 955, he has ZERO upgrade path and he's stuck with it and will have to buy yet another motherboard.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.





m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 1:50:46 PM

geekapproved said:
How could it "mean" ddr2 when it clearly says ddr3? lol

It was really diffucult to find, took me an entire 4 seconds.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ddr3-800

DDR2 WILL NOT FIT IN A DDR3 SLOT, so how could you use it anyways??


I'm still trying to figure out how a 955 is going to smoke a i3 in a year or two. lol

Besides in a year or two he can pick up a i7 that will be twice as fast as a 955. If he get's the 955, he has ZERO upgrade path and he's stuck with it and will have to buy yet another motherboard.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You found 204-pin DDR3. Even I found that. Also, games don't normally use all four cores, when they do, that will basically double the 955 power, not to mention it can OC to 4Ghz pretty easily were the core i3 can't at all. If he wants an upgrade path, here you go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AM3+ socket, and all the other goodies he needs. Put a 955 in now, in three years, upgrade. Software is so far behind hardware that it will take him 2-3 years to make a 955 seem too slow.
m
0
l
!