upgrading optical drive on Toshiba M35X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone out there has upgraded
the optical drive in the Toshiba M35X or similar?

I have discovered that newegg.com sells a dual-layer
DVD writer for the Toshiba laptops that is an OEM
part from Toshiba.

Here is the part:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-130-018&depa=0

Lots of mail-order places are selling it, actually.

My question is, has anyone learned how to open
the M35X to properly install this drive?
And did you get it to work properly?

Thanks.
Yib

Slojoe wrote:

> I have been inside of my M35X,upgrade to Centrino 1.7.
> The Drive is removable from the outside, just remove the screw
marked F5
> between the toshiba sticker and the windows license,open tray an
pull it
> out.

Thanks for that info. Incidentally, where did you buy the
CPU upgrade and/or what package does it come in?

Thanks.

Yibbels wrote:
> Slojoe wrote:
>
> > I have been inside of my M35X,upgrade to Centrino 1.7.
> > The Drive is removable from the outside, just remove the screw
> marked F5
> > between the toshiba sticker and the windows license,open tray an
> pull it
> > out.
> >

> Thanks for that info. Incidentally, where did you buy the
> CPU upgrade and/or what package does it come in?
>
> Thanks.

I just bought a Centrino 735 Chip off ebay.
easy upgrade if your not afraid of opening up your laptop.
It gave my laptop a nice boost.

Slojoe wrote:

> I just bought a Centrino 735 Chip off ebay.
> easy upgrade if your not afraid of opening up your laptop.
> It gave my laptop a nice boost.

Interesting. Have you checked the CPU temperature,
by chance?

I wonder how fast a CPU the M35X will take...

Yib

Yibbels wrote:
> Slojoe wrote:
>

>>I just bought a Centrino 735 Chip off ebay.
>>easy upgrade if your not afraid of opening up your laptop.
>>It gave my laptop a nice boost.
>

> Interesting. Have you checked the CPU temperature,
> by chance?
>
> I wonder how fast a CPU the M35X will take...
>
> Yib

It seems to run cooler than the celeron,
the fan is not running as much.
I believe than it will handle all the way up to
a 2.0. I have not check the temp, I will let you
know.