GTX 470 running hot under load, sugesstions?

imaurer269

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hello I recently bought a system built by a person that I have been using to play FFXIV. The setup is:

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA
i5 750 2.66GHz
RAIDMAX SMILODON CASE
PNY GTX 470
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Linksys PCI Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Nothing has been overclocked to my knowledge and I play on a 20" Dell s2009w monitor. I have been playing in windowed mode at 1600x900 res, 2x MSAA, Standard shadow detail and texture quality and high texture filtering. While playing my GPU core temp has been running between 82-95C via CPUID Hardware Monitor. I would like to keep the card running about 10 degrees cooler and not sure what my best options are. Have been debating purchasing a aftermarket cooler like the Gelid Icy Vision, Zalman VF3000F or the Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus. Would like to know if there are other options like programs I could use to increase the stock fan speeds, maybe turn down the settings on the graphics card, upgrade case fans, etc. Would love some input/advice! Thanks :)

Solution
That was going to be my suggestion. Check what the stock fan is set for. If its only going up to 60%, you might get better (and louder) numbers if you set it for 75 or 90%. I would try that before removing the sink and redoing the paste.
If your GPU is fully stressed (100% GPU Core load) hitting 95C on a "reference design" GTX 470 is absolutely normal. :( Your PNY GTX 470 is the reference cooler design. So it will run hot like this.

Honestly though, at 1600x900 your video card shouldn't be pushed very hard. That's a pretty low resolution for that card.

Based on reviews I've read, the Zalman VF3000F is the BEST cooler option for the GTX 470. Make sure if you decide to get one though, that you get the RIGHT version. There's one that fits the GTX470/465 and one for the GTX 480. Another cheaper option is to simply remove the stock cooler and put new thermal paste on it. The factory puts a LOT of paste on the GPU. Removing the cooler, cleaning off the paste, and applying better stuff can shave a few degrees off potentially.

First, a question: as long as your card is not overheating, is there a problem with your system if your card runs in the 82-92c range, which is normal for the GTX470?

Now, 95c is overly high, I would expect a max of 91c, but it is still within the normal operating range. Be sure to check the basics, like dust in the fan and removing any airflow obstructions. How frequently does the temp go over 92c? It should only do that briefly on initial ramp up, then go back down as the fan responds.

If you are still uncomfortable with the temperature, the best after-market cooler I would recommend is the Arctic Cooling Acelero Extreme Plus. I was considering one for my prior card, a GTX480, so I did a lot of research. It is the quietest and most effective. It also cools the memory and other vital components. It comes with a good system for attaching heat fins, although they are permanent, you can't remove them once installed. You need to order the cooler, then the specific kit for your particular card.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_accelero_xtreme_plus/
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3620/arctic_cooling_accelero_xtreme_plus_vga_cooler/index.html

Oh yeah, you can always just clean off the old thermal paste and reapply some new high performance stuff.

95C is hot, there's no question. But I wouldn't call it "overly hot".

I have a reference GTX 470 in a Thermaltake Armor BWS8003 case. It's huge. Have a 120mm Exhaust, a top mounted 90mm Exhaust, and two 120mm intakes both blowing at the bottom near the GPU. Please a large air intake on the side. So I have as much cooling as I'm going to get.

I can hit 94/95C with Furmark. I believe the thermal limit is set to 104C.

I've been itching to buy a Zalman cooler, but honestly I'm also itching to go SLI. And it probably wouldn't fit with SLI.

I guess each system is different, but with my old GTX480, I hit 93c max on Kombustor (Furmark), which would then level off at around 91c. Most reviews I have seen place the GTX470 at even lower temperatures than the 480. In fact, I RMA'ed my card when it suddenly started running at 93c with the fan at 80%, just playing regular games. My normal maximum before that was 91c at 72% fan.

See, now I would never think to RMA a video card that works properly. Keep in mind, the VID on a CPU or GPU varies. Some use less voltage and thereby run slightly cooler, and have better overclocking headroom. So to RMA a CPU or GPU because it doesn't have a low VID or heat output is ridiculous in my mind.

Now, if there was legitimately a problem (i.e. it was overheating) I would RMA the thing. Keep in mind however, the GTX 470 and GTX 480 don't use the exact same setup on their coolers. This is why companies like Zalman use one version of their cooler for the GTX 465/470 and one for the GTX 480. So although it's the same core chip, they aren't identical.

To be fair, there were other things going on my my PC that started around the same time as when the video card started to run hotter and noisier (system crashes after playing games). I took all of this as symptoms of a faulty card. All the same, it looks like I am getting a new Asus GTX480 that will immediately go up for sale.

These cards should generally run up into the low 90c's and the noise should be tolerable as long as the fan stays below 75%. If you are finding the fan is working too hard (over 80%) to compensate for additional heat, then I would look into the problem. I really like the idea of an aftermarket cooler, although they can be expensive.

4745454b

Titan
That was going to be my suggestion. Check what the stock fan is set for. If its only going up to 60%, you might get better (and louder) numbers if you set it for 75 or 90%. I would try that before removing the sink and redoing the paste.

Solution