Just took my computer apart and it's hot at startup

sandymoon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
So I took my computer apart (every single piece), and then reassembled everything together.

Is it okay if my GPU is at 75 celcius at start up, according to Speedfan (this is basically on idle). It goes down to 60ish after 5 minutes or so.

The CPU also is up at around 75 at startup, and then goes down to 50-60 on idle.

I've updated my bios (didn't fix anything). I have a q6600, and GTS 8800.

These are basically the same temperatures that I got before, just that there seems to be a change in the startup temps.

Also, is it possible that I somehow misconfigured the power cables to the fans, and that they aren't running as fast as they were? Speedfan says they're running at the same % as before.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
No, those temps are too high.

When you say you took everything apart, did you remove the heatsink from the CPU (and video card) as well? If you did, did you clean and apply new fresh thermal paste?

What is your average room temp, and what case do you have.

Unless you have a fan controller or changed settings in BIOS, the fans should receive the same amount of power as they did before the rebuild.

sandymoon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I haven't changed any BIOS settings.

I did remove the heatsink from the CPU, removed the thermal paste and applied new thermal paste.

I didn't do anything to the video card though (apart from removing it).

By the way, is the start up temperature too high, or is the idle temperature after the first 5 minutes or so also too high?

I have an Antec P180. The temperature in my room is 21 degrees.

EDIT, I have 4 fans running in this case (not including the CPU or GPU fans).

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Both the start up and idle temperatures are too high for your CPU, the GTS 8800 do run hot, so that is somewhat normal temps for the video card.

Is the CPU overclocked or running at stock settings?

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Your case is a good one, and you have an adequate number of fans - did you change the configuration on the airflow at all? Airflow should go in at the bottom, front and side, then out at the top and back. A stick of burning incense will help you figure out the airflow direction.

The GPU start up temperature seems high, but not outrageous, and it cools off, so you should be OK. The CPU is worrisome, unless you have it overclocked to the max. What brand of heatsink are you using? When you took the heatsink off did you change the fan on it? If you have a tower heastsink, you want the CPU fan to blow into an exhaust fan out the top or back.

If your airflow is correct then you most likely did not reinstall the heatsink correctly. Try again, and use only a pea size amount of thermal paste. Make sure the heat sink has even pressure on top of the cpu, and all connectors are tightened to the fullest extent possible.

sandymoon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
The CPU is not overclocked, and I am using the heatsink that came with it.

I did only use a pea sized amount of thermal paste, and the heatsink does not wiggle.

Also, speedfan says that my fans are running at Speed01 : 20%, Speed02: 30%, Speed03: 30%, Speed04: 60%, Speed05: 100%, Speed06: 0%.

Is there a way to increase this? Clicking up and down in speedfan does not seem to change anything.

The airflow is correct. The only thing left then seems that the paste didn't properly spread.

What temperature should I get for my CPU?

EDIT, I put my case's side panels on and I'm not having the same temperature problems. The gpu read 51 at startup and is now at 48 watching videos.

One CPU reads 42 while watching videos and the other 50.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Maybe the thermal paste needed to set? Did not think of that right off, but some TIMs need several hot/cold cycles to properly cure. The sides shold not hav emade a big difference - hotter if anything, unless you have side fan that blows onto the GPU.

Glad your issue is solved.