Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to match the Direct X version w/ my Video card? (8800GT)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2010 3:53:57 PM

I'm having terrible frame rate issues w/ Crysis and the only thing I can think of that I've yet to try is switching my Direct X version.

I know my machine isn't the best that money can buy, but it's not too shabby:
-Athlon II x3 440 ~3.0GHz, 6GB RAM (although it seems to benchmark around what 3GB would?.. but that's another issue), NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT w/ aftermarket cooling, Windows 7 64 bit, Direct X 11, ~550W OCZ PSU,

I can play games like MW2, COD4, SF4, Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, etc. w/ absolutely no fps problems. I can go just about as high as I want and have no noticeable effect in performance. That's even with two monitors hooked up to my video card (although I only use one during gameplay).

But for Crysis, it might run at 30fps for a while, but every now and then it'll drop to around 10-15fps. I reinstalled the game, installed the 1.2 patch, updated my video card drivers, used the 64 bit exe and the 32 bit exe, unplugged the second DVI cable from my card, yadda, yadda, I can't seem to fix this problem. And this is on several of the lower resolutions like 1280x1024. I have a 23" widescreen w/ a native resolution of 19-- x 16-- and a 20" w/ 1680x1050. So I'd like to play it at those resolutions, but even w/ all settings on Medium, it will bog down every 10 seconds. I tried turning off motion blur w/ no AA.

Is the game really that resource intensive or is there a bottleneck in my system? Is there anything I can try to get good performance and visuals? Because I can play quake if I want a grainy first-person shooter to run smooth. It kind of ruins the purpose of playing modern games if I can't enjoy them the way they were meant to be played. (I know I could upgrade hardware, but I was wondering if this is really a hardware issue.)

Add'l Q: I have Crysis: Warhead, but haven't isntalled it yet. I'm aware of the DRM, but I don't mind the limited installs. I'm more worried about it making my system crash or installing things like spyware that I can't remove. Should this be a concern w/ Warhead's DRM?
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 4:21:14 PM

Yes. It is really that "resource intensive".

See following review with benchmarks for your card. The test was done using a Core 2 Extreme X6800.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward...

Playing it in DX9 mode rather than DX10 will give your a little better performance since DX10 effects are a bit more demanding.
m
l
December 18, 2010 4:30:07 PM

Wow. I bet the game would have received better reviews if the hardware to play it was available when they released it.
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2010 4:45:29 PM

I didn't mention that the parts that usually bring the frame rate down are the areas where I come into a new terrain or part of the map. It feels like the game is slowed b/c of the hdd or something. Should I try fiddling w/ the pagefile?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 4:58:25 PM

Crytek had a very different approach to Crysis than most. Their intention was to create a game where most users played it at low to medium settings, and as hardware improved, you could turn the settings higher. The game looks as good or better than most games of it's time on medium and low settings.

I believe one of the major reasons for this, was they were selling the graphical engine behind the game to developers, and they wanted to show off what was possible, and since it often takes years to develope a game. This allows for those new games based off the engine to look good.

Another effect, which probably has out weighed the lower reviews, is this game has been in the spot light for benchmarks for years. They probably sold more copies of the game than they would otherwise been able to.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 5:14:21 PM

CallowMethuselah said:
I didn't mention that the parts that usually bring the frame rate down are the areas where I come into a new terrain or part of the map. It feels like the game is slowed b/c of the hdd or something. Should I try fiddling w/ the pagefile?

Increasing the pagefile is not going to really improve load times because the pagefile is used to cache data. When you enter new terrain or new part of the map, that data has not been cached yet. It needs to load the data and the textures (loaded to the video card). If your video card RAM is less than 1GB, then it can pause the game every now and then to swap in / swap out textures. Resolution of less than 1680 x 1050 in Crysis shouldn't need 1GB of RAM.

You could upgrade your HDD to a SSD, but that will only affect load and save time. It will not improve your FPS during gameplay. You can always save up money for a new video card, which is my recommendation if you are looking for overall improvement...
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 5:15:23 PM

bystander said:
Another effect, which probably has out weighed the lower reviews, is this game has been in the spot light for benchmarks for years. They probably sold more copies of the game than they would otherwise been able to.

Most likely one of the most pirated game as well, so there's lots of lost revenue as well...
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 5:29:43 PM

jaguarskx said:
Most likely one of the most pirated game as well, so there's lots of lost revenue as well...

The more popular something is, the more pirating. That kind of goes hand and hand. However, you still make more money regardless for the same amount of work.
m
l
!