joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
So i have a new-ish 2010 Toshiba satilite Notebook with a T-4300 Intel dual core processor at 2.1 GHZ and 4 gigs of DDR3 ram 500 GB harddrive and all that. So i have been playing Lol for like 6 months now and all of a sudden i go down to like 6 FPS and i check my task manager and my CPU is at 100% the only other thing i have open is Skype and maybe the itnernet browser, the cpu usage iwll go down like 30 seconds later. Anyone know the cause of this?

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I would run some spyware, virus, and some windows repair scans in regular mode and than in safe mode. And probably a registry cleaner.

I am not sure if overheating can cause more CPU usage or not, but if you got a lot of dust in your notebook I would remove it.

I had a similar problem like 4 months ago with my notebook. One day my games were running fine, they next everything with way down. It turned out that it was a keyboard cover I bought that caused some overheating issues. Since my notebook keys are designed have more airflow for the graphics card.

Overheating cannot cause more cpu usage; there's no connection at all. What overheating *can* do is cause LESS cpu/gpu usage. They'll both throttle down when they hit their temperature ceilings. However, this shouldn't cause your strange 100% problem. That sounds like a virus to me, especially since it hasn't happened before.

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

It's at about 5% when the computer is idle and i am using windows 7 and no antivirus is installed

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

When you are playing games the cpu would hit 100% but it is due to overheating that your gpu would be downclocked and you get 5fps.So I would suggest you to ensure better cooling.Try cooling pads which solves the overheating problem in most cases.If it were due to virus then your CPU usage should be very high even when your computer is idle.Also win 7 is not easily affected by virus .