Continuous cpu usage, in system interrupts

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxas

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I'm wondering if I have a problem with my Motherboard ( Gigabyte H67 ) as I have a computer with a continuously high CPU
usage, Although this would seem like a question for a general forum , here are the reasons why.
CPU runs at a minimum of 8% with no apps running on a Quad core. Task manager confirms that nothing is using the cpu except "System interrupts" ( at the full 8%-10% that TM reports on the graph)

1. went to msconfig & disabled ALL the services running,reboot,no change. then disables All startups in msconfig, same result.
2. Installed new ssd drive & clean install of windows+updates+chipset drivers+antivirus, retested still same result
Uninstalled antivirus just in case, no change still 8-10 % cpu nothing running (remember nothing else installed)
3. Tried to update Motherboard to latest drivers etc off their website. no change
4. updated BIOS
5. Changed configeration in BIOS to disable the multithreading and all other performance features, set others to standard.
this made it a lot worse - now over 30% usuage
6 Since it doesn't seem to be a windows problem or virus/malware, maybe it is hardware related
although maybe a driver problem ( in safe mode it runs fine - at 0% on idle)
If so this must be drivers that I do need, how can I weed out windows drivers that get loaded automatically?
7. If it is a hardware problem, how can I tell after doing the above tests?

Computer Specs.
Gigabyte MB H67a UD3 / core i7 2600K / CORSAIR xm3 8GB / vertex 3 120 / vertex 2 60gb / inbuilt HD3000 graphics

Any advice appreciated.

Post screenshot http://www.filehippo.com/download_process_explorer/

ProcessExplorer.jpg

paxas

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Yes , I have tried process Explorer, it gave heaps of info about everything else but it didn't reveal anything about the "Hardware interrupts" which is where the CPU reading came from, only a sub menu with blank pages.
Any idea how to dig deeper at this point. :??:

paxas

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Solution Found, A pci card for a parallel port was the culprit, once removed the Task manager idled at 0%.
The port was working fine but must have aggravated windows 7 somehow.
:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.