Firmware upgrade

I have a Nokia 6230 with Cingular. Very happy with the phone
except for a few software glitches.
According to folks on alt.cellular.nokia, the most recent
firmware version is 5.24. Mine has 4.43. Just got it in March. I
went to the Cingular owned store where I got it and they said
they don't do firmware upgrades, recommended I call 611, tech
support. I called them and they told me that 4.43 is the latest
version.
Am I getting the run-around? Could it be that Cingular only
supports up to 4.43? Anyone have any success getting it upgraded
in the US? How?

--
Poseur
"That's just kooky talk." --Kramer

Karen

Actually, 5.35 is the latest version and it fixes a bunch of known bugs.
Check out www.bongowireless.com

In article <Xns9651CAF34D772jc1Gao9@69.28.186.121>,
Poseur <julioYODUDEcastaneda@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a Nokia 6230 with Cingular. Very happy with the phone
> except for a few software glitches.
> According to folks on alt.cellular.nokia, the most recent
> firmware version is 5.24. Mine has 4.43. Just got it in March. I
> went to the Cingular owned store where I got it and they said
> they don't do firmware upgrades, recommended I call 611, tech
> support. I called them and they told me that 4.43 is the latest
> version.
> Am I getting the run-around? Could it be that Cingular only
> supports up to 4.43? Anyone have any success getting it upgraded
> in the US? How?

According to the table at:

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=80

5.24 is the current firmware version for the Cingular Nokia 6230b

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <Xns9651CAF34D772jc1Gao9@69.28.186.121>,
> Poseur <julioYODUDEcastaneda@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a Nokia 6230 with Cingular. Very happy with the phone
>>except for a few software glitches.
>>According to folks on alt.cellular.nokia, the most recent
>>firmware version is 5.24. Mine has 4.43. Just got it in March. I
>>went to the Cingular owned store where I got it and they said
>>they don't do firmware upgrades, recommended I call 611, tech
>>support. I called them and they told me that 4.43 is the latest
>>version.
>>Am I getting the run-around? Could it be that Cingular only
>>supports up to 4.43? Anyone have any success getting it upgraded
>>in the US? How?
>

> According to the table at:
>
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=80
>
> 5.24 is the current firmware version for the Cingular Nokia 6230b

interesting. i just went through this with my 6230b and nokia support in
the USA. i sent my phone in for an upgrade to 5.24, and they said sorry,
5.24 is for the 6230, not 6230b. So, now they have this version for
the 6230b?

Dave <davesnothere@yahoo.com> wrote in

>> 5.24 is the current firmware version for the Cingular
>> Nokia 6230b
>
> interesting. i just went through this with my 6230b and
> nokia support in the USA. i sent my phone in for an upgrade
> to 5.24, and they said sorry,
> 5.24 is for the 6230, not 6230b. So, now they have this
> version for
> the 6230b?

No. Actually, they were right, I was wrong. Latest for 6230b is
4.43.

--

Poseur wrote:

> No. Actually, they were right, I was wrong. Latest for 6230b is
> 4.43.

damn, you got me all excited. i thought my phone was finally going to
work with the bluetooth in my car.

i still don't get how nokia could design a great phone in every other
way, but screw up the bluetooth implementation so badly.

maybe it's not screwed up, but it works with NOTHING that i want it to.
(ie my powerbook and my bmw)

> damn, you got me all excited. i thought my phone was
> finally going to work with the bluetooth in my car.

> maybe it's not screwed up, but it works with NOTHING that i
> want it to. (ie my powerbook and my bmw)

sorry. Works fine with my Jabra earset. Your beemer has a built
in bluetooth device for hands free? Is that an after-market
thing? I got a 330.

--

Poseur wrote:
> Dave <davesnothere@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>damn, you got me all excited. i thought my phone was
>>finally going to work with the bluetooth in my car.
>

>>maybe it's not screwed up, but it works with NOTHING that i
>>want it to. (ie my powerbook and my bmw)
>

> sorry. Works fine with my Jabra earset. Your beemer has a built
> in bluetooth device for hands free? Is that an after-market
> thing? I got a 330.

no, it's not aftermarket, although you can add it to your bimmer. check
out the forums at bimmerfest.com. there's all kinds of info there on do
it yourself projects. they helped me install an oem navigation setup in
my '05 325i. I got it off the lot, and it didn't have GPS, but it had
every other option I wanted, so i took it anyway. I found all the parts
for the nav system and put it in myself with help from those forums.

as for the bluetooth, i know it was installed standard in all 05 3
Series that had BMW Assist. My car has Assist, so I got bluetooth. To be
honest, I made sure i had Assist because I wanted bluetooth. Only to
find out later the Nokia 6230b won't work with it.

if you need more info on installing bluetooth, let me know. I've never
done it, but i may be able to help. i did just rip my car apart to
install navigation. (my family still thinks i'm crazy for tearing into a
brand new 40k car)

Karen

I am running v5.26 on my 6230b.

Karen wrote:
> I am running v5.26 on my 6230b.

how did you get this installed on a 6230b? Will bongowireless do it for
me even though their webpage says 4.7 is the latest for the 6230b?

Karen

Yes, that is where I had it done.

http://www.usenet.com