Please help me narrow my choices

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 4, 2005 2:01:41 AM

I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
researching the issue, I'm looking ay:

Olympus E1
Canon 20D
Nikon D70
Nikon D100

My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.

The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
my existing lenses.

More about : narrow choices

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

"Barry Bean" <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote in message
>I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
> my existing lenses.

I doubt that you will get all those cameras for less than $2000.
February 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

Either one of the Nikon models are good. The D100 is more expensive then the
D70, but the D70 is newer and I think has more "innovative" features.

"Barry Bean" <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote in message
> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
> my existing lenses.
February 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

Barry Bean wrote:

> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use
many of
> my existing lenses.

Well that eliminates the Nikon's. Of the E1 and the 20D, the 20D is
much better.

$2000 is certainly do-able. I would advise getting the 20D kit with the
18-55 EF-S lens.

Later, you're probably going to want the 10-22 EF-S lens, but right now
it's a little pricey at $720.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

On 3 Feb 2005 23:01:41 GMT, Barry Bean <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote:

>I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
>researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
>Olympus E1
>Canon 20D
>Nikon D70
>Nikon D100
>
>My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
>telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
>The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
>collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
>my existing lenses.

I don't own one, but I have been drooling over the Canon 20D since
it's introduction. I have been trying to convince myself that a
cheaper camera will do, with no luck. I even own a couple of pentax
lenses which led me to the Pentax *istDS, but I alwaws come back to
the 20d. Take a look at the images at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/20d_samples...

Look at the sample images from the other cameras at the same site and
go from there.

HTH
Bill
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:01:42 AM

Barry Bean <bbbean@beancotton.com> writes:

> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
> my existing lenses.

Evidently with the E1, if you call up Olympus they will send you an adaptor for
your OM lenses. I haven't done this yet, but others have. You need to use
them in stop down metering mode, and manual focus, but that presumably isn't a
problem for you. Do remember that on the E1, the focal range doubles (ie, a
50mm lens gives the same field of view on the E1 as a 100mm lens would on a
film camera).

Assuming by "max resolution" you mean RAW mode, you will need roughly 1.5
gigabytes of compact flash (figure about $100/gigabyte for the fast memory), as
I can get 34 shots of RAW+JPG on one of my 512MB cards. If you were to shoot
JPG at the least compression, a single 512MB card will hold roughly 128
pictures.

I bought my E1 for roughly $2k at the local shop (E1, 14-54mm lens, 2 512MB
Sandisk Extremem CF cards, 67mm multicoated UV filter), and I suspect you could
probably do better than that if you searched around for a good reputible
internet dealer.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Barry Bean wrote:

> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1

The E-1 needs special lenses that may become obsolete in the future
if the 4/3 format doesn't catch on.

> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100

The D70 and 20D are quite a ways apart.. To compare Canon/Nikon cameras
in the same class, you should be comparing the Digital Rebel with the D70.

The D100 and 20D are the most expensive of your choices.

There is a direct comparision utility at www.dpreview.com that lets
you line up the specs so you can see at a glance if the camera
has the features you need or not.

> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
> my existing lenses.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:44:13 AM

Barry Bean wrote:
> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera.
> After researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
> short telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max
> resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
> lens collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to
> use many of my existing lenses.

You have picked out some very nice cameras. I happen to have the 20D
and I have been very happy with it. However I am going to make a
suggestion. Go out and pick up and handle each of them. Work all the usual
controls. Look through the view finder. How do they feel to you. Don't
pick one that just feels bad. It always will. Don't pick out one just
because it feels good, but how it feels is important.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:43:32 AM

Barry Bean wrote:
> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
> my existing lenses.
Hi,
I'll drop D100 since D70 is included.
They're all good cameras.
Personally I'd go for Canon.
Have fun.
Tony
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:48:18 AM

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in

> I doubt that you will get all those cameras for less than $2000.

I don't have to get al of them. I only need one, and I've found packages
for each that fit my price range
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:58:58 AM

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Barry Bean wrote:
>> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera.
>> After researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>>
>> Olympus E1
>> Canon 20D
>> Nikon D70
>> Nikon D100
>>
>> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
>> short telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max
>> resolution.
>>
>> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
>> lens collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to
>> use many of my existing lenses.
>
> You have picked out some very nice cameras. I happen to have the 20D
> and I have been very happy with it. However I am going to make a
> suggestion. Go out and pick up and handle each of them. Work all the
> usual controls. Look through the view finder. How do they feel to you.
> Don't pick one that just feels bad. It always will. Don't pick out one
> just because it feels good, but how it feels is important.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Yes I agree, but would drop the D100 off the list and I am thinking that you
would really have to have a good reason to go the E1 over the 20D.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:04:27 AM

> I don't own one, but I have been drooling over the Canon 20D since
> it's introduction. I have been trying to convince myself that a
> cheaper camera will do, with no luck. I even own a couple of pentax
> lenses which led me to the Pentax *istDS, but I alwaws come back to
> the 20d.

You should probably look at the *ist D then, personally I really like my
*ist DS.

I have some samples at www.photographyreview.com
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:39:04 PM

1. Canon 20D
2. Nikon D70
3. Canon Digital Rebel *There should be a new one coming out soon. If
it is similar to the 20D in a poly body then it might be a number 2.

Barry Bean wrote:

>I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
>researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
>Olympus E1
>Canon 20D
>Nikon D70
>Nikon D100
>
>My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
>telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
>The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
>collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
>my existing lenses.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:40:02 PM

All but the Nikon D100 for under $2,000.

Rudy Benner wrote:

>"Barry Bean" <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote in message
>

>>I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
>>researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>>
>>Olympus E1
>>Canon 20D
>>Nikon D70
>>Nikon D100
>>
>>My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to short
>>telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>>
>>The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus lens
>>collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use many of
>>my existing lenses.
>>

>I doubt that you will get all those cameras for less than $2000.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:28:11 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 07:04:27 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>> I don't own one, but I have been drooling over the Canon 20D since
>> it's introduction. I have been trying to convince myself that a
>> cheaper camera will do, with no luck. I even own a couple of pentax
>> lenses which led me to the Pentax *istDS, but I alwaws come back to
>> the 20d.
>
>You should probably look at the *ist D then, personally I really like my
>*ist DS.
>
>I have some samples at www.photographyreview.com

Yeah, the *ist D looks good, but I take a lot of photos indoors and in
a theater under natural light and sometimes dim stage lighting. From
all the photos I have seen, the 20D seems to have the cleanest high
ISO images. So far this has been one of the strong reasons for leaning
that way.

Bill
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:14:37 PM

In article <1105p872a57ej3e@corp.supernews.com>, <xman@thedripper.com>
wrote:

> Either one of the Nikon models are good. The D100 is more expensive then the
> D70, but the D70 is newer and I think has more "innovative" features.

The only "innovative" camera on the list is the E1.

Lourens
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:40:22 PM

In article <11060vnlek00qd0@news.supernews.com>,
Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

> Barry Bean wrote:
>
> > I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera. After
> > researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
> >
> > Olympus E1
>
> The E-1 needs special lenses that may become obsolete in the future
> if the 4/3 format doesn't catch on.

As far as I know every camera brand, even including Canon, has a
proprietary lensmount. I owned almost a dozen Nikkors but I still bought
the E1 because the lenses make sense, and my old gear simply did not.

My nikkors turned into half-useless items, with silly soomranges, bad
performance, and the new lens options weren't half as good as with the
E1... How about a F2.8 wideangle...hmm, the 14mm is expensive, because
of the coverage that you don't need. A fast standard zoom then? uhhh...
17-55DX is only $1000 more expensive than the Oly 14-54, and Canon
offers exactly nothing. Sounds great.

Olympus has a plan, and it is not like they need to outsell canon to
succeed. Companies can survive with less customers than Canon. And at
least Olympus has some quality-control, buying a 20D seems to be a
hit-or-miss affair.

The E1 price is very low at the moment, and it has already leaked that
they will come out with *several* new bodies and 7 more lenses in 2005.
So, this PMA could become interesting...seems to me the E1 will be
replaced very soon.

Lourens
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:34:21 PM

You need to be more specific. Will you be using the camera outdoor?
Indoor? Are the Olympus lenses you have good lenses worth keeping for
digital? Digital makes different (more?) demands on lenses.
The E-1 with the 14-54 lens is probably the best starting kit, and most
E-1 owners are very happy with it. (Including me)
The 20D is the newest camera, and you can't go wrong with Canon choices
of lenses. The D70/100 have the shortest startup time and probably the
fastest focusing.
I have no regret regarding the E-1, that camera simply works. No focus
problems, splendid colour, little post-processing needed (if any, good
for lazy git like me) And some very exciting lenses coming out. (F2.0
zooms)

Barry Bean wrote:
> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera.
After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use
many of
> my existing lenses.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:24:00 AM

jonragnarsson@gmail.com wrote in news:1108179261.359839.227310
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> You need to be more specific. Will you be using the camera outdoor?
> Indoor?

Both

> Are the Olympus lenses you have good lenses worth keeping for
> digital?

Yes.

> Digital makes different (more?) demands on lenses.

Like what?

> The E-1 with the 14-54 lens is probably the best starting kit, and most
> E-1 owners are very happy with it. (Including me)
> The 20D is the newest camera, and you can't go wrong with Canon choices
> of lenses. The D70/100 have the shortest startup time and probably the
> fastest focusing.
> I have no regret regarding the E-1, that camera simply works. No focus
> problems, splendid colour, little post-processing needed (if any, good
> for lazy git like me) And some very exciting lenses coming out. (F2.0
> zooms)

Have you seen specs on the new lenses yet? Will there be an E3?
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:49:33 AM

Lourens Smak wrote:

>>Either one of the Nikon models are good. The D100 is more expensive then the
>>D70, but the D70 is newer and I think has more "innovative" features.
>

> The only "innovative" camera on the list is the E1.

Perhaps, but it's really a camera to avoid. It's way too expensive,
costing well more than a 20D, it doesn't do well in low light, there is
no built in convenience flash, there aren't enough AF sensors, it's
noisy, the lens selection is very limited, and it's lower resolution
than the competition. I can't imagine anyone choosing an E1 over a 20D.

The E300 improves the resolution, and adds a convenience flash, but the
image quality isn't great, and it still only has three focus points. But
at least it's relatively low cost.

4/3 seems like a good idea, but Olympus hasn't delivered on the promise
of 4/3 yet.

The only possible reason to buy the E1 or the E300 is if you want a
physically smaller SLR. The competition from Canon and Nikon is far
better at the same price points.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:56:54 PM

Barry Bean wrote:
> I posted recently asking for suggestions for a first digital camera.
After
> researching the issue, I'm looking ay:
>
> Olympus E1
> Canon 20D
> Nikon D70
> Nikon D100
>
> My budget is <$2000 for body, basic zoom to cover range from wide to
short
> telephoto, and adequate memory for 50-100 shots at max resolution.
>
> The one caveat is that I have a very thorough Olympus manual focus
lens
> collection, and either the Olympus or Canon would allow me to use
many of
> my existing lenses.

Look at http://digitalcamerashortlist.com/, and click in the table of
contents on "Digital SLR Criteria."

Of the ones you list, the E1 is "Unacceptable," the D70 and D100 are
"Acceptable," and the 20D is "Superb."

Of course the 20D is also the most expensive. But it doesn't suffer the
moire problems of the D70, is higher resolution, has a faster
interface, and is superior in many other ways.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:32:47 PM

> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Look at http://digitalcamerashortlist.com/, and click in the table
of
> > contents on "Digital SLR Criteria."
> >
> > Of the ones you list, the E1 is "Unacceptable," the D70 and D100
are
> > "Acceptable," and the 20D is "Superb."
>
> I appreciate the link. I don't agree with their criteria, but sine
they're
> spelled out clearly, I can still get some useful information from th
esite.

Whatever.

The criteria are basically based on all the "cons" of various digital
SLRs that have been noted in posts, reviews, and from personal
experience.

The important thing is that there are enough models available that
don't make you compromise on any item that is important to you.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:26:45 AM

!