What's the best graphic card I can get with my 460 watt power supply?

charliann

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I have an HP Pavillion HPE-170t computer, with an Intel Core I-7 860 processor. I have 12 gigs of memory. The motherboard is Iona 1. It's a pretty small, like the case, with little room for expansion. It has one pci 16 slot that is available for the graphic card which I would like to replace. It has only a 460 watt power supply. I don't know about the fan, because the computer didn't come with a manual or schematics.

The computer came with an NVidia GeForce 210 graphics card with 512 mb memory. I want to get a better and faster one. I don't play games, but I do edit videos.

I knew the graphics card was pretty slow when I first got the computer, but now, after I've installed programs, the whole computer seems to be running pretty slow. I've removed most programs from msconfig startup, and I defragment the hard drives fairly often. I'm hoping a new graphics card will make a lot of difference.

I was looking at the ATI Radeon HD 5850, but I read that it needs a 500 watt power supply.

Can anyone suggest other graphics cards that would work on my computer? Preferably under $300...

Thanks in advance,
Charliann

charliann

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I thank you for your reply, but I only got your one answer that mentions an NVidia card and and what I think is an ATI Radeon card. But there was really no information about them, and also I want to know how they compare to other cards. I don't want to buy a really cheap card, and I know my power supply will not handle some of the higher end graphics cards. I do a lot of work with making videos, and I would like a card that could handle some games if I should ever happen to start doing that. I was looking at the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and 5850, which I know are considered mid-range, but which got some good reviews. It seems I'd need a 500 wt power supply for those cards, and mine is 460.

Any more answers or any further advice would be appreciated. I know quite a bit about using computers, but haven't kept up to date with all the hardware changes that have come about in the past 10 years. So I don't know what an SSD is.

Thanks again.