Why there is 5 6ghz phone and not a 5 6ghz computer?

usacomputerland

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
why there is 5 6ghz phone and not a 5 6ghz computer? just wondering, since the technology has been there for wireless phones for longer than 5 years.

kimyeang88

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
you should take either physic class, telecom class, or other..
5.6 Ghz phone meaning they are operating at 5.6 Ghz( you mean 5.4?) radio frequency . Don't mean anything they are powerful or not. It is just like a block that standard organization put them in.
Same thing with Radio station.
Talking about computer: Wireless A and Wireless N also operate at ~5 Ghz range. Cordless phone operate at 5.4 Ghz frequency. However, most popular Wireless network is Wireless G and it is operating at 2.4 Ghz. So they don't want it to interfere with Wireless G network. They move cordless phone to 5.4 Ghz instead of using 2.4 Ghz. Cordless phone is used to be operating at 2.4 Ghz but not anymore. If you are experiencing drop connection on your wireless network, probably you are using 2.4 Ghz cordless phone.

Note: 5.4 Ghz on phone is different from CPU Ghz. You should compare 5.4 Ghz phone to WiFi Ghz. On phone, they talk about radio frequency.

If you mention about computer, the chip marker Intel and AMD don't want to produce high frequency because it is not the most affective way to process data. So they decided to make more cores and lower down the frequency instead. Next generation processor will be 8 core , 16 cores, 24 cores but the frequency will be around 2.4 Ghz to 3.4 Ghz.

usacomputerland

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

I know the technology is different I was just wondering why computer speed processors got stuck on the 3.6GHz for so many years. Some adds show 5.6GHz computers when in reality they are just adding 2.8GHz of dual core processors, but that's a lie because being dual-core doesn't mean adding up the total speed of a processor, since they work individually!

usacomputerland

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

yep!

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
No, thats not true. Consider two cars going at 40kmph. This means that the total speed is 80kmph. NO
2 cores are built into one chip. That is , the 2 cores share the same cache and bus interfaces. The processing speed will be higher than that of the single core but when considering cache and bus interfaces, they share the same ...

The speed limitations on CPUs are due to transistors not being able to switch that swiftly due to the capacitances inherent to a MOSFET. You also have to make sure that your data has made it to its intended target before you try to read ti from there, hence why higher speeds can lead to stability issues, smaller transistors lead to higher speeds as you have smaller capacitances and less physical latency of the signal hence why some sandy bridge machines can hit 5.6GHz, but you wont see intel selling a CPU clocked that high because it will be producing a ton of heat and require a massive heatsink to keep in check

Now, the reasoning for the phone "operating" at 5.4GHz, it doesnt operate at that level, all of the signal processing and data processing is done at 1MHz or less, once all the processing is done its strapped onto a 5.4GHz carrier wave, when it gets to the end it gets extracted from the carrier wave, but no calculations or processing is occurring anywhere near the transmission frequency, its just a lot easier to transmit stuff at higher frequencies

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

alright.what does the bold text one mean?

Due to the way a mosfet is constructed there are effective capacitances between the gate and drain, source and gate, and source and drain, in order to change the state of the transistor you need to get the voltage on the gate to be what you want, but you first need to overcome the energy stored in the capacitances, capacitors by their nature impede high frequency switching which is why they are used in low pass filters, smaller capacitances will let higher frequencies through; increasing the switching/gate voltage also gives you more energy to allow you to overcome the capacitances and switch it from off to on or vice versa quicker which is why you often need to increase the voltage to get higher clock speeds.

Wasn't expecting to actually need to remember that much stuff from my semi conductor devices class

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

thanks!
I am going to take a class about microprocessor arch next year in South Korea.So yeah better be prepare.

usacomputerland

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

wow great knowledge there I am illiterate when it comes to computer but i like to learn about it, so thanks very much Hunter315 and Ghnader hsmithot! To go along with your motto here I say "a stupid question may lead to a complex answer, which in turn may educate a bit more everyone!

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

How does gigahertz cpu speed relate to ghz radio waves??

Be nice!
we all started somewhere
Nobody came out of their momma's belly knowing
that a kilobyte was 1024 bytes (2 to the 10th)
though in HD storage a kilobyte is 1000 bytes (go figure)
or that 8 bits equals a byte

nobody counted in hexadecimal when they were a kid LOL

everybody is in the process of learning
if anybody says they have learned everything about computers
then they are a FOOL!