Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How can I tell if my motherboard is really overheating??? Plz help.

Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2012 2:09:40 AM

Hi, according to a handful of hw monitoring programs I just installed, my ASUS P8Z68-V LE motherboard is overheating. I just bought this mobo and its really worrying me. What should I be looking for to see if it's a faulty sensor or if it's really overheating???

Like what spot on the motherboard should I feel to see if it's heating up?

Here are the programs and their readings:
AI Suite II: 22°C (hardly/doesn't fluxuate)
CPUID Hardware Monitor: SYSTIN ~21°C-23°C | CPUTIN ~67-127°C (up & down constantly) | AUXTIN ~68-71°C
Hmonitor: Mainboard 22°C | CPU2* 70°C
Speccy: 29-34°C (used to be ~80°C-125°C... until I ran Crysis 2)
SpeedFan: CPU* ~69-89°C | AUX 68-71°C

What's going on? Confusing me.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 2:49:16 AM

The sensor on the mobo is wrong on many occasions, ...

Can u post a screenshot of the HW monitor?

Are the HDD's hot?

Or the CPU/GPU?

Don't stress yourself over that MarkusAurileus, it is not exact reading most of the time.

I would trust AI suite2, but if the sensor is not good, it will show wrong temps ...
Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 3:17:31 AM

There are about 3 to 4 places to actually check the temperature physically from.
The HSF, the base that's of metal can be felt with the finger tip while the rig is on .
The North Bridge and South Bridge, that would be the Heat sink just below the CPU and the SB would be the Heat Sink covering a patch on the Right Hand Side of the PCI Slots.
Then the heat sinks above the Mosfets at the left of the CPU and the top of it.
If I were you, I wouldn't use too many programs to check the temps. Stick to one reliable one that matches the temps that show up in the BIOS. And get rid of Speedfan...... that's a bad utility known to mess up a lot of rigs.
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2012 3:58:22 AM

All other temps are just as expected, only one of them are unsually high. I don't use multiple monitors, only SpeedFan, but when I saw the temp reading, I had to try out multiple ones, and they were all giving me sketchy readings of one particular high temp.

alyoshka, I did touch a few of the spots mentioned (heatsinks on the mobo and the mosfets), and they were not hot. I didn't know speedfan was bad : / will uninstall it now.

btw, I did a restart and Speccy showed a high mobo temp but lowered to normal after playing Crysis 2.

[edit: i'm not so sure AI Suite II is reliable since it's reporting cpu temp as 6°C]

Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:04:45 AM

BTW, are u OC'd?

Are u on stock cooler?
Score
January 22, 2012 4:07:46 AM

No on the OC.

Using a Zalman CPNS9700.
Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 4:08:54 AM

HW Monitor is showing you the right temps. It so seems the Z68 Chip is the hottest.
Does your case have a side panel fan mounted? or a front panel intake fan mounted in it?
If not, a spot fan for the Z68 chip would help getting the temps down quite a bit.
Score
January 22, 2012 4:11:53 AM

There's a 120mm intake fan in the lower front, and two 120 mm exhaust fans in the upper back. No side panel fans, though.

How'd you figure it's the z68 chipset that's getting hot?

Thx for the quick replies guys, btw
Score

Best solution

a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:14:06 AM

From the pic you posted and the readings for my HWMonitor and your Mobo's Layout
CPU temp is common and can be removed from the equation, so is the Mobo temp, since I have a 3.5"Temp Monitor with Sensors attached separately to every thing on the mobo I can usually tell which one is where when matching it with a Temp Monitoring Software.
The Mobo Temp is also something that is common and can be removed from the equation, that leaves us only with the Aux which on my external monitor shows me 45C and yours shows 70C. Mines placed on the HS next to the PCI Slots on my Mobo..... :) 
It's pretty simple actually. Most mobos have sensor placements in a standard form....
January 22, 2012 5:25:06 AM

Ahh ok. Thats pretty interesting actually. So since my temps spike up higher than normal, I'm guessing that's not ideal. I have a little less than 15 days to exchange the board. Should I go ahead and do that?
Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:41:36 AM

Actually you can do that, but ideally, a good airflow case brings that temp down considerably. You can exchange it and see if there is a difference, but if that does the same thing, then it means you will need to get a better case or atleast use a side panel fan to blow air onto that HS.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:45:33 AM

markusaurileus said:
Ahh ok. Thats pretty interesting actually. So since my temps spike up higher than normal, I'm guessing that's not ideal. I have a little less than 15 days to exchange the board. Should I go ahead and do that?

I don't believe these sensors and I think your mobo is fine, just sensor issue. Try to touch it and u will see its not all that hot.

U can get temp gun to see the real temps : )

Look at mine screen ...

Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:47:17 AM

Its always 60°C, SSD is 1°C...
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:47:43 AM

But the case is cool inside.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:51:19 AM

Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:16:06 AM

There's a difference of 5 Degrees, between the IR Temp Monitor and the HWMonitor reading...... only...... :(  Not a very good example for a faulty sensor, I must say....
Score
January 22, 2012 2:56:04 PM

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll try exchanging it first. If the temp is about the same, imma install a side panel fan (Antec 300 case).

And can this thread stay unlocked for a day longer so I can post what happens afterward? : D
Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 3:45:06 PM

Sure, it will stay unlocked or open until the problem is solved.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 3:49:54 PM

Exactly like alyoshka said : )
Score
January 23, 2012 11:42:11 PM

Ok, I swapped out the first board with a fresh one. Same model P8Z68-V LE.

I have to trust that the monitor was/is working correctly because the temps are in the same rough range (79-90°C). So a side-panel fan should help? I still can't physically tell what's up because it's absolutely cool inside, and the Z68 HS is lukewarm.

Also, how will a hot z68 chipset affect my performance? I'm planning on overclocking in the next week.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 11:45:33 PM

markusaurileus said:

I have to trust that the monitor was/is working correctly because the temps are in the same rough range (79-90°C). So a side-panel fan should help? I still can't physically tell what's up because it's absolutely cool inside, and the Z68 HS is lukewarm.

Also, how will a hot z68 chipset affect my performance? I'm planning on overclocking in the next week.

I think u will not notice any difference in the performance : )
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 11:50:58 PM

markusaurileus said:

How many fans do u have going?

I had an small issue with temp of the HDD's. I have 8 of them in.

Temps were 38°C-43°C. After increasing the pressure of incoming air by increasing the Antec fan speed to level 2, it went down to 28°C-31°C.

So, yes it would help tremendously, if u can point one right in.
Score
January 24, 2012 12:25:55 AM

A fan in the lower front, one in the upper back, another on the back top, and a last one right below my gfx card (those antec v-cool fans).

Ok, I guess I'll try putting in a fan later on.
Score
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 3:07:08 AM

Overclocking will make it noticeably warmer, that's all, the side fan will help and will feel a lot more effective once you over clock it.
Score
January 24, 2012 10:02:42 PM

Best answer selected by MarkusAurileus.
Score
January 24, 2012 10:03:40 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. Really helped out, esp the pictures. Always nice to have a visual of what you're explaining. :D 
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 10:03:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!