Sign in with
Your question

Bootloop... Motherboard Issue? (Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3)

Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2012 5:53:09 AM

Hello. I am new to building computers, and built my first rig about a week ago. I installed windows today, and rebooted after installing updates. Upon restart, the computer turns on for 2-3 seconds, and shuts of for 5. This cycle repeats indefinitely. Here is my build -

Intel Core i5 2500k Processor
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4) RAM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Hard Drive

The computer was working 100% - everything fine. I've tried a lot already, taken out the CMOS battery, stripped the components to the bare. Nothing seems to work. Just want some help - wondering if it's a motherboard problem (the infamous Gigabyte Z68 "bootloop") or possible the PSU/Processor/RAM.

When I turn the machine on, the fans start, the lights on the motherboard turn on, the heat sink starts up, and almost immediately shuts down (2 seconds). I cannot access the BIOS, as when attached to a monitor - doesn't show anything. I really need some help with this, I have tried so much. Wondering if it's a motherboard issue, and I should just return it/buy a new one.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:08:28 AM

Try to boot with only 1 RAM stick.
January 22, 2012 6:13:53 AM

nikorr said:
Try to boot with only 1 RAM stick.

Thanks - didn't work. Still nothing.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:15:06 AM

Try the RAM stick in different slots and than try another one.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:21:27 AM

Can u get into safe mode?
January 22, 2012 6:24:14 AM

nikorr said:
Try the RAM stick in different slots and than try another one.

Thanks again. Tried all 4 in all 4 slots - didn't work.
January 22, 2012 6:25:06 AM

nikorr said:
Can u get into safe mode?

No I cannot. The machine shuts off after 2 seconds, and the screen is black.
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:25:08 AM

Does the CPU fan go into a real frenzy when you switch it on?
If it does, then you need to reseat the CPU and HSF..... the thermals are making it shutdown to protect other components.

Also make sure you haven't forgotten to plug the ATX 12V 8pin Power connector and the CPU HSF is connected to the CPU FAN header not any other fan header.
January 22, 2012 6:29:02 AM

alyoshka said:
Does the CPU fan go into a real frenzy when you switch it on?
If it does, then you need to reseat the CPU and HSF..... the thermals are making it shutdown to protect other components.

Also make sure you haven't forgotten to plug the ATX 12V 8pin Power connector and the CPU HSF is connected to the CPU FAN header not any other fan header.

Thank you very much for the help. The CPU fan starts up fine, but seems to be going a little slower than it should (for the 2 seconds its on). I have tried reseating the CPU and HSF. Nothing. The ATX 12V 8pin connector is pluggen in place, and the CPU fan is connected to the "CPU FAN" connector.
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:30:11 AM

Try to breadboard it.

Just forgot, check and see if the PSU fan comes on or not after you try to start the rig.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:31:58 AM

Do u have any chance to try another CPU?

Or PSU? Even old PSU with 4pin would do.
January 22, 2012 6:35:20 AM

One more thing to note. I bought the parts a week ago, and built it. Upon the first startup, I changed around the BIOS for a hackintosh (as I am planning on dualbooting). I changed it to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode. My ACPI suspend type was S3(STR). Turned out, the hard drive I had installed was dead. I left the machine sitting for a week, and my new hard drive arrived yesterday when I installed windows, and the machine failed. Just telling you guys about the BIOS changes - I am really a newbie and unsure if those should affect the machine, taken I switched out the hard drive.
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:36:54 AM

You already tried a BIOS reset physically, so that shouldn't make a difference.
Did you check a the PSU fan?
January 22, 2012 6:37:01 AM

alyoshka said:
Try to breadboard it.

Just forgot, check and see if the PSU fan comes on or not after you try to start the rig.

I will try. And yes - the PSU fan DOES come on when I power it up.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:37:52 AM

Reset the CMOS memory as described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged. Pull the battery out for 30sec.
January 22, 2012 6:38:37 AM

nikorr said:
Do u have any chance to try another CPU?

Or PSU? Even old PSU with 4pin would do.

No I do not have chances with either. As a last resort, I can scavenge something from some old computers I have laying around.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:38:38 AM

Any light comes ON on the mobo?
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:39:25 AM

Nrubin999 said:
No I do not have chances with either. As a last resort, I can scavenge something from some old computers I have laying around.

I would try that with PSU.
January 22, 2012 6:42:32 AM

nikorr said:
Any light comes ON on the mobo?

I have already pulled out the battery - and cleared the CMOS. Yes - four colored lights come on to the right of the RAM.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:44:22 AM

Do u have mobo speaker? Any beeps?
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:45:20 AM

That's ok they are the Phase LEDs. We'd like you to try the rig on without anything and only the processor on.
January 22, 2012 6:46:48 AM

nikorr said:
Do u have mobo speaker? Any beeps?

Not sure if there is a speaker... there are NO beeps.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:47:17 AM

And check the pins, make sure they are not bent or no paste is in.
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:48:23 AM

Again? What pins?????????? It's a pinless processor.....
January 22, 2012 6:49:57 AM

alyoshka said:
That's ok they are the Phase LEDs. We'd like you to try the rig on without anything and only the processor on.

I have tried it. Same exact thing every time.
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:51:14 AM

You have to remove that board from the case and breadboard it. This could be a short on the backside someplace.
January 22, 2012 6:51:50 AM

nikorr said:
And check the pins, make sure they are not bent or no paste is in.

I checked the pins on the motherboard - everything looks 100%. The processor looks fine too. One other thing is that when I closed the processor latch thing, it gave quite a bit of resistance, and a "crunching" sound. All the pins look perfect though. Never touched.
January 22, 2012 6:53:25 AM

alyoshka said:
You have to remove that board from the case and breadboard it. This could be a short on the backside someplace.

Very good idea. Thank you. I will try that in the morning - as it is almost 1AM here. I'm signing off for the night - thanks for all the help.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:53:33 AM

And the Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card is not on the board, right?
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:54:31 AM

Oh OH...... Get it out again, check very carefully AGAIN. Inspect the whole socket and the processor edges. Post a PIC immediately here if possible, look at the underside of the processor where the contacts are, check for burn marks and discoloring on both the Mobo CPU socket and the Processor Contacts.
Post pics if you can.
January 22, 2012 7:04:29 AM

nikorr said:
And the Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card is not on the board, right?

Correct.
January 22, 2012 7:06:24 AM

alyoshka said:
Oh OH...... Get it out again, check very carefully AGAIN. Inspect the whole socket and the processor edges. Post a PIC immediately here if possible, look at the underside of the processor where the contacts are, check for burn marks and discoloring on both the Mobo CPU socket and the Processor Contacts.
Post pics if you can.

Okay - will check again and post pics in the morning.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:08:49 AM

Nrubin999 said:
Thank you. Will do. I have a few questions though -
How will I power it on without a power switch?
All I should have - processor, motherboard, PSU?
Only cables I should have in are Processor fan, motherboard 24 pin, and motherboard 8 pin?

Do it close to your case.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:10:57 AM

Your mobo does not have a ON/OFF button?
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:11:19 AM

You can power it up using a flat head screw driver to short the two pins that are connected to the Power Switch of the Case.
Yup, use only the Mobo, Processor and PSU for the first try to see how long it works.
Yup, those are the only cable you need to connect .
a c 76 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:12:57 AM

No the Z68-UD3 does not have any buttons on the Mobo, not even CLR-CMOS , reset or power.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:13:22 AM

^^^^ yes, do that.
January 22, 2012 7:13:25 AM

nikorr said:
Your mobo does not have a ON/OFF button?

No it does not. As the other guy said - I will use a screwdriver and short it.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:14:01 AM

alyoshka said:
No the Z68-UD3 does not have any buttons on the Mobo, not even CLR-CMOS , reset or power.

I just checked ...
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:14:35 AM

Nrubin999 said:
No it does not. As the other guy said - I will use a screwdriver and short it.

That will do fine.
January 22, 2012 7:14:44 AM

alyoshka said:
You can power it up using a flat head screw driver to short the two pins that are connected to the Power Switch of the Case.
Yup, use only the Mobo, Processor and PSU for the first try to see how long it works.

Thank you very much. Just the info I need, I'll try it in the morning - and get back to you guys as soon as possible.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 7:15:54 AM

Going to sleep as well : )
January 22, 2012 5:33:27 PM

alyoshka said:

So I just bread boarded it - and still nothing. All that's connected are the 24 pin and the 12v 6pin, and CPU fan. Still getting the same thing - on for two seconds, off for five. I'll post pics of the CPU in a few minutes.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 5:38:49 PM

I would try to replace the PSU.
January 22, 2012 8:46:33 PM

nikorr said:
I would try to replace the PSU.

Just took my "breadboard" to the local Fry's. They tested it with a few power supplies, and a few different CPU's. Turns out - the problem is in the motherboard. So should I return it?
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 8:49:53 PM

Nrubin999 said:
Just took my "breadboard" to the local Fry's. They tested it with a few power supplies, and a few different CPU's. Turns out - the problem is in the motherboard. So should I return it?

Yes, ASAP : )

BTW, Frys have a price match, they match Amazon and Newegg.
January 22, 2012 8:51:23 PM

nikorr said:
Yes, ASAP : )

BTW, Frys have a price match, they match Amazon and Newegg.

Sadly, i'm looking to build a hackintosh and Fry's doesn't have any Gigabyte motherboards (Most compatible). I'll probably order one from newegg, one day shipping. Again, thanks for all the help.
a c 328 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 8:54:49 PM

Nrubin999 said:
Sadly, i'm looking to build a hackintosh and Fry's doesn't have any Gigabyte motherboards (Most compatible). I'll probably order one from newegg, one day shipping. Again, thanks for all the help.

I know, for large store like Frys, they have poor selection of the mobos.
!