Bootloop... Motherboard Issue? (Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3)

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello. I am new to building computers, and built my first rig about a week ago. I installed windows today, and rebooted after installing updates. Upon restart, the computer turns on for 2-3 seconds, and shuts of for 5. This cycle repeats indefinitely. Here is my build -

Intel Core i5 2500k Processor
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4) RAM
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb Hard Drive

The computer was working 100% - everything fine. I've tried a lot already, taken out the CMOS battery, stripped the components to the bare. Nothing seems to work. Just want some help - wondering if it's a motherboard problem (the infamous Gigabyte Z68 "bootloop") or possible the PSU/Processor/RAM.

When I turn the machine on, the fans start, the lights on the motherboard turn on, the heat sink starts up, and almost immediately shuts down (2 seconds). I cannot access the BIOS, as when attached to a monitor - doesn't show anything. I really need some help with this, I have tried so much. Wondering if it's a motherboard issue, and I should just return it/buy a new one.

Does the CPU fan go into a real frenzy when you switch it on?
If it does, then you need to reseat the CPU and HSF..... the thermals are making it shutdown to protect other components.

Also make sure you haven't forgotten to plug the ATX 12V 8pin Power connector and the CPU HSF is connected to the CPU FAN header not any other fan header.

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thank you very much for the help. The CPU fan starts up fine, but seems to be going a little slower than it should (for the 2 seconds its on). I have tried reseating the CPU and HSF. Nothing. The ATX 12V 8pin connector is pluggen in place, and the CPU fan is connected to the "CPU FAN" connector.

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
One more thing to note. I bought the parts a week ago, and built it. Upon the first startup, I changed around the BIOS for a hackintosh (as I am planning on dualbooting). I changed it to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode. My ACPI suspend type was S3(STR). Turned out, the hard drive I had installed was dead. I left the machine sitting for a week, and my new hard drive arrived yesterday when I installed windows, and the machine failed. Just telling you guys about the BIOS changes - I am really a newbie and unsure if those should affect the machine, taken I switched out the hard drive.

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I will try. And yes - the PSU fan DOES come on when I power it up.

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

No I do not have chances with either. As a last resort, I can scavenge something from some old computers I have laying around.

Nrubin999

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I have tried it. Same exact thing every time.