No Digital Zoom on Nikon 5700

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 4, 2005 2:47:52 AM

After I spent an hour going through the menu to use movie mode, I noticed that
I couldnt get my caera to work quite right in still mode. One thing, the
digital zoom doesn't work,,,
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:39:11 AM

Since my 5700 was just stolen along with the owners manual I'll have to
guess at the problem. Check your lens setting, make sure its not on
telephoto or macro (or whatever its called). Seems like the zoom doesn't
work if its in one of those modes. Not sure though. Good luck.

Richard

"Lowryter" <lowryter@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
> After I spent an hour going through the menu to use movie mode, I noticed
> that
> I couldnt get my caera to work quite right in still mode. One thing, the
> digital zoom doesn't work,,,
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:04:25 AM

On 03 Feb 2005 23:47:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital lowryter@aol.comnojunk
(Lowryter) wrote:

>After I spent an hour going through the menu to use movie mode, I noticed that
>I couldnt get my caera to work quite right in still mode. One thing, the
>digital zoom doesn't work,,,

First it is hardly a loss. There are very few and far between instances
when in camera digital zoom is worth using compared to after the fact
upsampling in a decent image editor.

There are a few modes where digital zoom is not available. The easiest way
to check would be to use the set defaults menu option to reset the camera
to the factory defaults. Other than that can you tell use explicitly how
the camera is set?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
February 4, 2005 3:39:31 PM

On 03 Feb 2005 23:47:52 GMT, lowryter@aol.comnojunk (Lowryter) wrote:

>After I spent an hour going through the menu to use movie mode, I noticed that
>I couldnt get my caera to work quite right in still mode. One thing, the
>digital zoom doesn't work,,,

Digital zoom not working is not a loss.
Anything that digital zoom can do, you can do with far more options in
any decent (meaning almost *any*) photo manipulation app.
Once the digital zoom crops your pic, the cropped part is gone
forever, and you live with what you've got; using something like a
photo app, you get to choose exactly what crop you want.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Good advice Big Bill. I never use D zoom on my G5. First, it reduces
the native resolution, and increases the size of the pixels, so the
more you D zoom, the less of a quality image you'll get.

Lowryter, I wish I could help you in finding the D zoom though, as I
realize we've not realy answered your question, but I don't have a
5700 in front of me :/
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:19:42 AM

In message <enj701tejmob6i7vgl8bmcpejihs823ok5@4ax.com>,
Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:

>On 03 Feb 2005 23:47:52 GMT, lowryter@aol.comnojunk (Lowryter) wrote:
>
>>After I spent an hour going through the menu to use movie mode, I noticed that
>>I couldnt get my caera to work quite right in still mode. One thing, the
>>digital zoom doesn't work,,,
>
>Digital zoom not working is not a loss.
>Anything that digital zoom can do, you can do with far more options in
>any decent (meaning almost *any*) photo manipulation app.
>Once the digital zoom crops your pic, the cropped part is gone
>forever, and you live with what you've got; using something like a
>photo app, you get to choose exactly what crop you want.

Is that a *real* concern? Who zooms in and then wants the zoomed-away
area? Sounds like you're talking about extremely stupid people, beyond
hope.

Digital zoom only exists on cameras with full-time preview, and it has
its value there as making it easier to compose, and see if the camera is
in focus, as less sensor pixels are shrunk to LCD resolution. Metering
is also more accurate with digital zoom. To me, the main disadvantage
of digital zoom is the way it is usually done; it usually involves some
awkward resizing ratio that loses high-frequency detail. If digital
zoom were implemented purely as a crop, there would be no drawbacks to
using it at all, as long as you understood it as a compositional aid and
not a substitute for optical zoom.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!