Whic is better?

which CPU is better, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition or Intel Core i3 2100? and is there a BIG difference between them? (apart from the number of cores)
15 answers Last reply
More about whic better
  1. i3 2100 is actually 2 cores with hyper threading. You can overclock the black edition, but not the i3. Which if you do then AMD is the better choice. If you dont then go for the cheap one. Either one is good, this case, AMD.
  2. Thank you, the computer will be used for, web browsing, listen to music, and playing games such as Minecraft.
  3. So should I go with AMD?
  4. Ok thank you, which would you say is the best all round CPU? If you had the money what would you buy. Are they both good enough for everyday tasks?
  5. maverick knight said:

Thanks for the suggestion, what do you think of this setup..

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition or Intel Core i3 2100
    Asus M4A87TD USB3
    4GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 2GB)
    Nvidia GeForcre GT220 (i don't need a very powerful GPU as i'm not going to be playing graphic intensive games).
    500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
  6. If you don't need more than a GT220 then you most likely don't need more than an Athlon x3 if you want to save some money.
  7. How do i know if its a 7200rpm? as it doesn't say, it just says "500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s"
  8. Oh nevermind it is a 7200rpm just never read the details properly.
  9. One more question, which CPU is actually "faster"
  10. Quote:
    depends what you are talking about, overall though the 955 is faster.

What i mean is what one will open up programs faster and better at multi-tasking, i know the Phenom has 4 cores but the i3 has hyperthreading.
  11. You would not notice any particular program running faster with either or. If thats your concern, then I highly suggest a SSD, that is really fast. So put your money on an SSD, they are not cheap.
  12. maverick knight said:
    You would not notice any particular program running faster with either or. If thats your concern, then I highly suggest a SSD, that is really fast. So put your money on an SSD, they are not cheap.

ahh i see, thank you.
  13. The Asus M4A87TD USB3 is AM3. The motherboard that maverick knight labeled as AM3+ is actually AM3 and has not been confirmed as supporting future processors.

This GB *Black Socket* motherboard (at $105) is AM3+ as are these motherboards.

AM3+ motherboards will provide AMD Bulldozer Zambezi processor support. There are AM3 motherboards with that capability available from MSI and Asus if you are so interested.
  14. wisecracker is right about AM3+, my bad for the mistake. However, the mobo that I suggested is compatible with the Phenom II 955.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom Product