Sign in with
Your question

New Computer build- Cyber power pc

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2011 5:13:44 PM

I would love anyone's opinion or recommendations for this build. It currently cost $4189 if built with CyberPowerPC. I know it would be cheaper to buy w/ newegg/tiger-direct/etc and put together, but I'm in Iraq, and would like to have something ready for me when I get home. I appreciate any input in advance.

Case: * Coolermaster HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-990X Extreme Edition 3.46 GHz 12M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58
Memory: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1866MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Power Supply: * 1200 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX1200 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Hard Drive: 60GB Corsair Force 60 Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (60GB x 2 (120GB Capacity) Raid 0
Storage Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Optical Drive 2: Asus BC-08B1LT 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Ultimate (64-bit Edition)
CPU Coolent: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound
February 20, 2011 5:30:10 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Tecmo34
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:04:35 PM

Thats a nice set up. Are you going to be getting home soon because you should really be there to unpack and make sure everything is connected and actually in the system.
You should also get the enhance packing if you can because shipping usually plays hell on systems. If your not going to be back for a little while say 3-4 weeks you may want to look into a sandybridge build as they will according to intel be compatable with the ivybridge processors so you will have an upgrade path.
What all are you going to use the system for mostly gamming?
The 1366 chipset is about done for its still a really good system but the sandy bridge is a little more advanced If you won't be home till summer I would look into a Z68 based motherboard. As it will have some advantages over the p67 and h67 mother boards.
I would think the 1366 is about done with the new 990x processor they just released but there wil be more and newer sandybridge/Ivybridge processors.
If you can't wait though thats a nice system just make sure you inspect it inside out when you get it.
Good luck and come home safe soon.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 1:24:50 PM

^+1, wait a little for the 1155 socket.

Try Avadirect.
http://www.avadirect.com/
850W is more than enough. For gaming you can get 6G of RAM. Don't get water cooling get a good air cooler (Noctua, Scythe).
m
l
March 8, 2011 12:16:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the info...

@Galleener, I wont be home till around Jan 2012'ish, and since my post with toms hardware i've been doing quite a bit of review/research. I also hear that Sandybridge 2600k is amazing stuff, and is nearly on par with gaming as the 990x (if not better?). I wasnt thinking of potential upgradeability down the road but thanks for reminding me to keep that in my head. I havent heard of the Z68 based mobo's but will deff. do some research into those. Thanks for your info and guidance, i'm sure by the time i get closer to the buy time, it will have changed again and again...

@mosox, Thanks for the reply, I was looking into sandy and was amazed at the reviews, planned on making the plunge immediately, but then found out about the recall... I am going to check out the Z68 mobos that galeener was talking about, and will check out avadirect. Is there a reason not to get a larger PS besides cost? Any reason why you suggest a heavy air cooler over a lighter weight water cooler?
Thanks again.

Other questions/info--> I'm upgrading from a AMD 6600 (i think) AM2 processor, 2x 8800GTX 768mb cards, 250 gig 7500rpm WD HD. I plan to use the new build primarily for gaming and photoshop/lightroom. I play mostly FPS (Black ops/mw series, BF2, soon Crysis 2, etc), and I only use one 21 inch monitor @ 1080p resolution. I probably wont have more then 2-3 games installed at a time with the OS and other programs, with media going on a standard HDD. The room that I have my current build in gets very very warm so I am a little concerned about heat issues, especially if I go air cooling...

Thanks again for the replies and I look forward to any feedback. Have a good one, and I appreciate the "Good luck and come home safe soon" comment.
m
l
March 8, 2011 3:29:41 PM

That liquid cooling is for extreme overclocking, the Sandy Bridge are quite cool by themselves, you can get away with a cheaper Cooler Master Hyper 212+. P67 mobos are good. If you wait until this summer you can check out the new Bulldozer CPUs as well.
m
l
March 8, 2011 3:37:43 PM

Since your not comming home in a while you would be correct a lot will change over this summer and fall. I beleive the 2011 chipset will be out by then If you were going to spend around $4k This may be right up your alley. Hope fully when you get home there will also be some ivybridge E series processors in the mix also so you should have a lot more choices by then. The water or air cooling is really up to you the sandybridges out now if you get a good 2600k can hit 5ghz on air. not all of them but i beleive at least several peoples builds that I have read about are there or close. Also the new sandforce controlled SSds are starting to get out now so you will be in a position whee a lot of things will have matured slightly by the time your ordering. Also on the power supply nothing wrong with getting more head room for upgrades down the road.
Ive been in the big sandbox before so I hope everything goes well for you and yours and look forward to seeing how your build comes out when you get it done.
Feel free to ask anything you want about stuff here thats what this place is for
and we will see you when we see you.
Luck.
m
l
!