Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacing thermal paste on graphics cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 2:23:43 AM

Alot of people have told me that you will get alot better temps if you replace the stock thermal paste on graphics cards like the gtx 460 this true?
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 7:26:32 AM

Yes, it's true.
I've tried it before with my HD4850, the temps are going down, not much, about 3-4'C which normal since 4xxx series are tends to run hot...
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 8:37:31 AM

Yes, it can help, due to the mass produced method these cards are produced you do not always get an optimal amount of paste on the cards.

I only replaced mine after I had owned the card a while and thought it could do with replacing, temps did go down.

However an easier way to get lower temps is just to adjust the fan a little higher.
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 8:39:40 AM

it can, if the stock thermal paste is not so good, but dont expect miracles. Works better on old cards where the thermal paste is worn out
m
l
December 19, 2010 5:10:06 PM

Well now for what it is worth, I had to replace the TIM on my GTX275 as the preapplied had all migrated to the top and right of the gpu, consider,, if your card is working why go looking for trouble??, it will find you soon enough, the only reason for replacing original TIM would be for extreme overclocking or an overheating card.
And if you are buying from a top of the line source they will probably use top of the line TIM..:) 
m
l
December 19, 2010 10:11:48 PM

dokk2 said:
Well now for what it is worth, I had to replace the TIM on my GTX275 as the preapplied had all migrated to the top and right of the gpu, consider,, if your card is working why go looking for trouble??, it will find you soon enough, the only reason for replacing original TIM would be for extreme overclocking or an overheating card.
And if you are buying from a top of the line source they will probably use top of the line TIM..:) 

Agreed - if the card is working why try to fix it?
Dave
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 10:14:53 PM

Best answer selected by cia24.
m
l
!