Sign in with
Your question

CPU smoke

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 1:13:29 PM

Hello,

I have just installed a new heatsink and i followed the instructions in the manual on how to install it and spread the thermal paste. I then started the computer and all the fans were working, then after a few seconds I heard a crackling noise and some smoke started coming from my cpu area. I immediatly shut it down and unplugged it. Im not sure if anything is supposed to crakle or smoke on first use?

Can anyone shed some light on if my computer would be ok to turn on or not?

Thanks

Carl

More about : cpu smoke

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 4:56:25 PM

You shouldn't see that so don't try to restart until we find a fix. What is the CPU/ motherboard specs your installing?

Also, if yo apply to much thermal paste and it seeps over the CPU and somehow finds it's way on te socket, you can cause conductivity that could cause what your seeing. Did you install the CPU in the socket, lock it in place, clean te CPU surface thoroughly and the apply a thin coat of thermal paste with something like an old credit card?

Somehow it sounds like you may have thermal paste on the base of the CPU and that's definitely not good.

I recommend you take everything back apart and carefully clea everything and make sure you only apply enough thermal paste to the CPU surface to contact the headship without oozing over the CPU onto the CPU socket...
May 22, 2011 4:59:46 PM

o dear talk about up the perverbial *** creak with out a paddle. it coud b static build up or total meldown u didnt say if it was working after u tried again?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 5:02:05 PM

Sorry for the autocomplete typos, I'm on my iPhone an it's not east typing on the forums and even harder to go back to correct typos. Headship = heatsink.
May 22, 2011 5:02:10 PM

um yes i agree with the joker . but i would say tho go n pay a pro geek with the c+ , MSCE cert to fix it rather than possibly making it worse
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 5:09:18 PM

Definitely do not turn it back on.

The damage is likely done though. Smoke, crackling and electrical components do not mix.

I can't imagine what happened just from installing a heatsink unless you put on so much thermal paste that it squeezed out onto the motherboard or socket.

What heatsink was it? Did you have to bolt the heatsink through the back of the motherboard?

Unplug the computer. Turn off the psu. Press the power button a few times. Then open the computer and inspect the motherboard for damage with a flashlight. (black marks, thermal paste, discoloring, bulging capacitors, burned chips, etc).

If you don't see anything, then check the psu. Smell it to see if it burned up.
May 22, 2011 5:49:02 PM

Get marshmallows and a long stick. :) 
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 7:54:54 PM

There's probably at least 200 YouTube videos that demonstrate the proper procedure for installing thermal paste on your CPU. Search for your specific socket type and go from there.

Watch 2 or 3 so you can be sure you get consistently accurate information...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 9:18:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.
I tried my PSU in another PC that I have and as soon as I started the PC the cable between the PSU and the motherboard started smoking at both ends quite badly.
I think that this may be the cause but I will check my CPU and Heatsink for damage. Just in case.
My PSU and CPU are very close together so that is why I think I thought it might be the CPU. (being worried as it is the i7 Extrene Edition costing nearly £800)

Has anyone had a problem with the cables burning?

Thanks for the help

Carl
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 9:48:23 PM

englandr753 said:
There's probably at least 200 YouTube videos that demonstrate the proper procedure for installing thermal paste on your CPU. Search for your specific socket type and go from there.

Watch 2 or 3 so you can be sure you get consistently accurate information...

Actually, you don't.

You read the directions that came with it, because they are all different.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 9:48:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help.
I tried my PSU in another PC that I have and as soon as I started the PC the cable between the PSU and the motherboard started smoking at both ends quite badly.
I think that this may be the cause but I will check my CPU and Heatsink for damage. Just in case.
My PSU and CPU are very close together so that is why I think I thought it might be the CPU. (being worried as it is the i7 Extrene Edition costing nearly £800)

Has anyone had a problem with the cables burning?

Thanks for the help

Carl

Never. Is it a rocketfish?
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 10:05:13 PM

Thermal paste in the cpu socket (I got $5 on it)
a c 82 à CPUs
May 22, 2011 10:20:53 PM

geekapproved said:

+1 what brand of PSU?
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 10:36:11 PM

I believe he said CPU area, this might help us find out why smoke is coming from the CPU AREA
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 10:38:58 PM

geekapproved said:

Rocketfish?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 10:56:19 PM

Sorry, I realise you meant the make rocketfish. No it's an iCute 850w. Never had a problem before with it.
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 11:13:52 PM

geekapproved said:
Actually, you don't.

You read the directions that came with it, because they are all different.

It's essentially the same pertaining to the thickness of the thermal paste and the way it's applied. The only real difference I'm assuming your suggesting is the way the heatsink is installed...

N
May 23, 2011 12:43:02 AM

To me this sounds like you used a metallic based thermal paste that spilled over either into the socket, or onto the motherboard itself. Nowadays, especially with GPUs, there are a lot of transistors/electrical components that are very close to the die.

Check out this article for very good tips/tricks/instructions/explanations:

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134
a c 82 à CPUs
May 23, 2011 8:28:36 AM

spentshells said:
I believe he said CPU area, this might help us find out why smoke is coming from the CPU AREA

Then later he said that the PSU is very close by and the psu cables were smoking at both ends, sounds like the PSU could be involved. If it were a Thermal interface materialissue then the power problems would have occured onboard first, not at the cables.

Quote:

Icute weren't even listed in the recent toms article so they are not a major player, i'm 80% certain its a PSU issue.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 9:19:48 AM

If the heatsink wasn’t seated correctly, the worst you’d get is an automatic shutdown with the possibility of having damaged your CPU. Given the symptoms you describe, there’s something else interacting with the computer. I’ve no knowledge of what excess thermal paste would do to a system (thankfully!) so I defer to others in this.

What you said about the PSU cable is interesting though – are you talking about the 24-pin ATX power cable that plugs into the motherboard? It could well be a PSU issue – hopefully for your wallet, it is! Best bet is clearly trying another PSU for starters in your second system. If this is OK, then put it in your first system. Before you try powering it up, though, have you removed the CPU and heatsink from the machine that was smoking and inspected it? If it looks undamaged, clean the CPU of the thermal paste, reapply as per directions and try to power the machine back up.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 1:24:28 PM

spentshells said:
Thermal paste in the cpu socket (I got $5 on it)

You must have missed the part about the psu cables smoking. Can I have my $5 now?
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 1:25:45 PM

englandr753 said:
It's essentially the same pertaining to the thickness of the thermal paste and the way it's applied. The only real difference I'm assuming your suggesting is the way the heatsink is installed...

N

They are all different. Some say a bb size amount. Some say pea size amount. Some are made of ceramic, some of metals, some of god knows what.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 1:26:39 PM

spentshells said:

Again, please pay attention, he said the smoke was coming from the psu cables.
a c 82 à CPUs
May 23, 2011 5:54:54 PM

+1 I've given up...
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2011 11:57:59 PM

geekapproved said:
You must have missed the part about the psu cables smoking. Can I have my $5 now?

you have to bet to win
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2011 9:33:44 PM

I have had a good look at my motherboard after removing the CPU heat sink and the CPU area is ok. However I have noticed this burning on what I believe is a heatsink for the motherboard chipset (image below)

this is where it is located

I now think that this is the cause of the original smoking.

Does anyone know of this happening to them? Why this has happened. I have a feeling that this is a cooling issue as this heatsink is located at the back of my PC so it may not be getting enough cooling.

I am going to contact Gigabye about this and see what they say.

Motherboard: Gigabye EX58-UD5
CPU: Intel i7-975 Extreme

Thanks for all your help people
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2011 9:46:14 PM

I can't access these links on my iPhone. I'll review them when I get home tonight...
May 24, 2011 10:14:50 PM

I would say that should never happen. The chipset area isn't very close to your cpu, and the heatsinks are applied in a factory. Unless you spilled something anywhere on the board [water, coke or a peice of wire] then the fault likely lies with the board.

My £0.02
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2011 11:54:43 PM

Sorry, I won't be able to review tonight as I just remembered the cable company disconnected my Internet while they were digging the trench to bury the cable yesterday. It will be tomorrow evening late before I will be back online.
a c 127 à CPUs
May 25, 2011 5:05:02 AM

Normally its a short that causes it. Problem is thats rare. In fact I just got one in today that the same area was pretty much fried (it literally caught fire). Looked like it started at the 4 pin for the mobo and went down from there.

As for the reason, its hard to say. As I said, it could have been a short due to a screw not placed in properly. Do you have standoffs in the right places? And no extra ones where they don't need to be?

If you did everything properly, you will probably want to send it back to Gigabyte. But as well you will want to test your CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. Because something like that can easily damage other components.

As for that part under that heatsink, they are normally the thermal regulators. Maybe they got overloaded or shorted out.
May 25, 2011 10:01:41 PM

I have decided to purchase another motherboard and PSU as the motherboard has the burning on the heatsink.

I would like a 850w PSU the most efficient there is that creates the least about of heat. Can anyone recommend one?

I am also looking for a motherboard with the following specs:
Intel LGA 1366
SATA 3 6GB/s
Support of Kingston 2GB 1333 RAM
PCI-E
X58 Chipset
And a BIOS that loads ASAP. (My current one took quite a while)

Can anyone recommend one of these motherboards? I have been looking at
Asus P6X58D-E Premium
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

Has anyone had any experience with these motherboards? I Currently have Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5 which runs at SATA 3GB/s and it seems to have been OK (other than burning on one of the heatsinks that runs around the CPU area)
Also what is the difference between Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 other than about £60.

Thanks

Carl
!