Bootable Flash Drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 26, 2005 3:04:36 PM

Recently purchased an external cdrom cdrw that doesnt seem to boot from
recovery cds.

Is there a download that could fix this?

Also, rather than using cds. I operate a Sony Vaio computer with a
PCMCIA, memory stick slot, and two USB.

Looking to create a bootable memory stick using the slot instead of
external cd.

Anyone with expierence with the Phoenix BIOS to enable the option under
the external option or use a flash drive through USB to boot from?

Thanks

More about : bootable flash drive

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 26, 2005 10:47:48 PM

spooner wrote:
> Recently purchased an external cdrom cdrw that doesnt seem to boot
> from recovery cds.
>
> Is there a download that could fix this?
>
> Also, rather than using cds. I operate a Sony Vaio computer with a
> PCMCIA, memory stick slot, and two USB.
>
> Looking to create a bootable memory stick using the slot instead of
> external cd.
>
> Anyone with expierence with the Phoenix BIOS to enable the option
> under the external option or use a flash drive through USB to boot
> from?
>
> Thanks

The BIOS must explicitly support booting from USB so that USB is enabled
before the OS is booted. External USB drives will not work unless USB
is a BIOS boot option. The memstick slot is a USB device on those Vaio
laptops that I am familiar with. For laptops with USB as a boot option
there are flash drives that will support booting, but not all flash
drives will accomodate booting.

March 27, 2005 10:22:22 PM

Q, where do start?
Related resources
March 27, 2005 11:33:19 PM

hard drive
cd drive
network
removeable items
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 12:24:29 AM

spooner wrote:
> Q, where do start?

Boot to BIOS setup, F2 (Del, Esc, F10 and maybe others, depending on the
BIOS) just after power on and before the windows load screen). Look for
the setting for Boot Order that lists Floppy, HD, CDROM, USB (if the
BIOS supports this).

March 28, 2005 2:16:41 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:wLidnbBiKoBJg9vfRVn-
ow@comcast.com:

> spooner wrote:
>> Also, rather than using cds. I operate a Sony Vaio computer with a
>> PCMCIA, memory stick slot, and two USB.
>>
>> Looking to create a bootable memory stick using the slot instead of
>> external cd.
>>
>> Anyone with expierence with the Phoenix BIOS to enable the option
>> under the external option or use a flash drive through USB to boot
>> from?

saw an announcement about this software a few days ago. you might want to
check it out. They seem to be able to overcome a lot of the previous problems
with making bootable flash drives. They have a trial version of the program
that can be downloaded.

http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/index.php

Lee
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 10:54:42 AM

spooner wrote:
> hard drive
> cd drive
> network
> removeable items ** well, this is not very clear, is it? Since USB
> hosts "removeable items" perhaps this will support USB. Does the
> laptop have an option for swappable floppy/optical drives through its
> own special cable?

March 28, 2005 2:41:21 PM

Ive looked at and emailed support about winme os.
March 28, 2005 3:29:17 PM

I see they have a product pcga cdrw52 which is plugged in through
PCMCIA.
April 4, 2005 1:29:41 AM

In article <Xns9626CE46B8CA1leeastadelphianet@216.196.97.142>,
lleeast@netscape.com says...
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:wLidnbBiKoBJg9vfRVn-
> ow@comcast.com:
>
> > spooner wrote:
> >> Also, rather than using cds. I operate a Sony Vaio computer with a
> >> PCMCIA, memory stick slot, and two USB.
> >>
> >> Looking to create a bootable memory stick using the slot instead of
> >> external cd.
> >>
> >> Anyone with expierence with the Phoenix BIOS to enable the option
> >> under the external option or use a flash drive through USB to boot
> >> from?
>
> saw an announcement about this software a few days ago. you might want to
> check it out. They seem to be able to overcome a lot of the previous problems
> with making bootable flash drives. They have a trial version of the program
> that can be downloaded.
>
> http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/index.php
>
> Lee

I've tried it... didn't work at all on any of my test cases...
!