Solved

No Power to Motherboard?

Yesterday I noticed that my video card was getting much hotter than usual while playing games (68-69 C as opposed to 50-60 C), and decided to dust it out and take a look around. I ended up opening up the case and doing quite a bit of dusting several times when I had no results. Anyway, after I fitted the video card back in the last time (it was a bit of a struggle, this was my first build and the wiring isn't that good) there was no green light on the motherboard power switch. Naturally I checked the master power switch and unplugged, plugged back in, that did nothing. I checked the power connections and saw no problems. I can't for the life of me figure out what went wrong.

TL;DR
After taking out my video card for dusting and putting it back in, the green LED on the motherboard power switch was not lit. I checked the power connections/plugs/switches and there didn't seem to be any problems. Can't figure out the problem.

I've narrowed down the problem to three possibilities: I unplugged something and missed it, the power supply failed, or, because I was working on a carpet like an idiot, I electrocuted the motherboard and killed it.
Can anyone recommend some things to try? This was my first computer build and I do not have the funds to replace more than one or two parts, so I really need to know what's wrong.
Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power motherboard
  1. What is the make and model numbers of the motherboard, graphics card and power supply unit?
  2. The motherboard is a MSI NF750-G55.
    The graphics card is an EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
    The power supply is a Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91.

    I just copied that from the product pages. :??:
    Hope that works.
  3. I did plug the CPU power cable back in, and it was plugged in when the problem started.
  4. Best answer
    Make sure that the ATX 24-pin and ATX 4-pin Power Connectors are fully seated.

    When the AC power switch on the power supply unit is turned on the Power Button on the motherboard should light up to indicate that the motherboard is receiving +5 Volt standby power.

    If the motherboard isn't receiving any +5 Volt standby power then it's not going to start. I would suspect a power supply problem. If you have another system that you can test the power supply in then try it.
  5. Both of those connectors are plugged in and fully seated, however, I do not have another system to test the power supply in. Is there another cost-effective way to test it, or is there anything else I might look for as the problem?
  6. There are power supply testers, like the Ultra 20/24 Pin Power Supply Tester, that test these connections:
    - 20/24 Pin ATX
    - 4 Pin / 8 Pin CPU
    - 4 Pin Floppy
    - SATA
    - PCI Express



  7. Thanks, I'll see what I can do.
  8. Best answer selected by Frehls.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Motherboards Systems