Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitor problem VGA and HDMI

Last response: in Components
May 22, 2011 3:17:00 PM

Hello,

I have my PC monitor hooked up VGA and ran a HDMI cable to my TV/Monitor. I have an ASUS motherboard with both vga and hdmi.I'm using XP. When I boot the pc finds both monitors no problem and I have extended monitor to my tv. The problem I have is that when I turn the tv off or switch inputs and then I want to go back to the extended monitor set up, the configuration gets messed up. My vga monitor shows no signal and the resolution on my tv/monitor has changed. I have to restart the computer in order to get display in both monitors again. I've tried a lot of stuff, downloaded ultramon and display fusion to see if I could find something but I couldn't for this specific problem.

I really appreciate if anyone can help me with this.

Thank you very much.
May 22, 2011 9:56:06 PM

sorry, haven't quite understood what you mean by "switch inputs"?
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 22, 2011 10:35:16 PM

there might not be a solution, its possible that when you switch inputs you effectively declare to the pc that the monitor has been removed.

could you do a windows+p before you switch? could you run the hdmi cable through a cheapo hdmi switcher, that might make it think there is always a connection? Can you donwload drivers for your TV so thta it knows what to expect.
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2011 11:33:52 PM

That's right, when I turn the TV off or change input the computer removes the monitor. Windows makes a sound like a device was disconnected.

What do you mean with do a windows+p? I don't think there are any drivers for my TV. I guess I could try an hdmi switcher. You think that might make it think there is always a connection?

Thanks so much
m
l
a b C Monitor
May 23, 2011 8:39:27 AM

The windows key + P (on win7) changes between display modes, on a laptop at least.

I often have my laptop plugged into hdmi switch > amp > tv ad when I switch modes on the amp the laptop doesn't notice, it also means that as soon as I plug it in the laptp goes to the secondary display.

I suspect that there is some setting for the persistence of screen settings somewhere. I'll have a look around but it might take a little while. I think my desktop acts differently, which probably means there is a setting, registry or otherwise, that we can use.
m
l
May 24, 2011 12:47:31 AM

It would be awesome if there is a setting. Anything you can find out would be great. Thank you very much!
m
l
!