Hey all,

Here's my system:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366
CPU: Intel i7 950 (no overclocking as of yet), Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler
Ram: 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw
Video: ASUS 4870 Radeon HD
Power supply: Rosewill bronze 750W

Backstory:
For a few months, this pc was a powerhouse. No matter what game I was playing at the highest settings and resolution, I could always have a browser with a lot of tabs open and a music player, and there would be no lag or any mess or problem.

Problem:
It started around the time I got a second monitor for the system though I think the problem is independent from the second monitor. Anywho, I mostly play Starcraft 2, and I started to notice brief periods of intense cursor/game lag (noticed in singleplayer as well). I have also noticed this occurring even in lighter applications like photoshop. With ATI Catalyst and Windows Resource Monitor, CPU usage barely gets above 20-30% and memory sometimes goes up to 60%. For the Graphics card, highest temp i've seen is 85 degrees and around 40% activity.

Oh also, I don't think i notice this as much anymore, but along with the cursor lag, I would hear strange pops/clicks/laggy things in the audio, usually while playing starcraft.

Also, I've messed around with resolution and stuff for games, and I can't really tell if there's a huge difference or not. The cursor lag is only occasional (maybe once every game or so I'll notice it).

I'm happy to provide any other information although I'm not the most computer savvy (my brother helped me put this one together), but I'll try my best.

Thanks!
February 20, 2011 10:00:09 PM

Take away the second monitor and see if the problems continue, having a second monitor increases the resolution therefore sacrificing the frame-rate. How big are these monitors?
February 20, 2011 10:30:23 PM

1st, Just Checking: Are you running the 64 bit version of Win7? If not you can't really use more than about 3.25Gb of RAM which will really slow you down if you open several programs and have games running too. (RAM above that size can Not be accessed / used by a 32 bit version of the OS)

The i7-950 uses triple channel memory. So, three DIMMs or six DIMMs. How many DIMMs do you have installed and what size are they? (2Gb each is the most common...)

The 4870 runs pretty hot, but, at 85C you might be starting to throtte back the GPU
Related resources
February 22, 2011 2:46:38 AM

I took the second monitor away and still saw problems as well as heard that weird click/pop sound. The monitors are 22", 1920X1080 resolution.

I am running the 64 bit version.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by DIMM, but here's the memory as i bought it from newegg:
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Thanks for the quick responses. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
February 25, 2011 4:18:00 PM

So is the problem most likely my graphics card? Is there any good way to test this?

Best solution

February 25, 2011 4:55:12 PM

A memory card / stick is also call a DIMM. You should have three (3) in your system. They should all be installed in the same color slots on the motherboard.

If you go to www.cpuid.com

Then download CPUID. Install it. Then go to the "Memory" tab. It should show:

- Type DDR3
- Size 6144 MBytes
- Channel # TRIPLE (this is the key, if memory isn't installed correctly you won't see TRIPLE)

What I found is pauses & delay are usually caused by the system being busy, or, things are being swapped around in memory.

With an i7-950 things are never busy... So, I'm asking about memory configuration. If it's right the system should fly....
February 25, 2011 5:02:27 PM

do u mean i should download cpu z? I can't find a CPUID program anywhere...
February 25, 2011 5:07:41 PM

Ahh, I think you are on to something! It says:

-Type DDR3
-Size 8192
-Channels Dual

Now, this may be because I actually only have 2 sticks? I have 2 4gb sticks. Do I need to insert my 2 sticks into different slots? Sorry, I'm not very well-informed on this topic.
February 25, 2011 6:56:20 PM

You need a third stick....

- either return the 2 sticks you have and get a 6 Gb (3 x 2Gb) kit

Low End: (basic works fine)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or High End: (if your going to overclock your RAM for max speed, thou, NOT that much faster really, just bragging rights)

- or, buy a single (1 x 4Gb) stick

NOTE: Be sure voltage, Timing, and Speed (1066, 1333, or 1600) match EXACTLY to what you have already.
February 25, 2011 7:01:42 PM

Type-O, sorry, you would need a single 1 x 2Gb stick if you add one more stick to get your triple channel (NOT 1 x 4G)...
February 25, 2011 7:15:54 PM

Thanks I appreciate your advice!

I can't return the sticks, so I guess I should buy this:
G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

I wonder why I would need a single 2gb rather than 4gb, not that I'm complaining (2g is only 20 bucks). It just doesn't make sense to me as it's not identical to the other 2 (1X4).

And actually the 1X4 stick is the exact same timing to my original pair (9-9-9-24-2N) as opposed to the 1X2 stick which is 9-9-9-24. Maybe I just haven't found the right 1X2...
February 25, 2011 7:35:00 PM

uniqueinfinity said:
Thanks I appreciate your advice!

I can't return the sticks, so I guess I should buy this:
G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

I wonder why I would need a single 2gb rather than 4gb, not that I'm complaining (2g is only 20 bucks). It just doesn't make sense to me as it's not identical to the other 2 (1X4).

And actually the 1X4 stick is the exact same timing to my original pair (9-9-9-24-2N) as opposed to the 1X2 stick which is 9-9-9-24. Maybe I just haven't found the right 1X2...

Send me a link to the exact RAM you have already. AND, a link to your exact motherboard. I'll send you back a link to the right RAM....
February 25, 2011 8:08:22 PM

Okay, I read back to the start of your posts:

Looks like you have GSkill RipJaw Series: (2x4Gb)

SO, just buy this as it matches exactly: (1x4G)

Sorry for all the confusion on size, I'm SOOOO used to seeing the smaller Gb sticks...

Post a link to your MotherBoard and well make sure its in the right slots and IF it can be overclocked from the default / stock 1066 speed to your RAMs 1333 speed.
February 25, 2011 8:13:15 PM

Ah, nice MB! I like GigaByte & ASUS the best, good stuff...

You want the sticks in the Blue slots. Start Closest to the CPU. I know you Only have 2 stick at present but be sure they are in the 1st and 2nd BLUE slots.... then went you get you last stick fill the last BLUE slot...
February 25, 2011 8:17:16 PM

Post a note when you get the third stick install. And we can assure the board is running at a full 1333..... (if you check CPU-Z on Memory tab "DRAM Frequency" will read :
- 533 Mhz (for 1066 RAM speed)
- 667 Mhz (for 1333 RAM speed)

NOTE: might be a touch higher as some motherboards automatically tweak things up Just a bit. MINE reads: 668.2 Mhz...
March 7, 2011 5:53:27 PM

Best answer selected by uniqueinfinity.
!