Ram ? what is better for me to do

dukerob009

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I\'m wondering if its better to use both ram types or use the ripjawsx by them self email me the ansure Please do not post your @mail (that way u are helping to spread the spam), u will be automatically notified if some one post fresh line in your thread. Thanx : )

It's generally not a good idea to mix RAM types. If your other stick is a from a different brand, it probably won't work with a Ripjaws stick. What are the models of the two sticks?

Do NOT put your email here. You can take it down by editing yourself with either of the first two buttons of the three in the bottom right of the original post.
EDIT: Thanks, nikorr.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Not true. Mixing RAM brands and types usually works fine. Timings and speed will just default to the slower sticks specs. It won't be the best performance wise but compatability problems are pretty rare.

I have mixed and matched memory for years and have been very lucky for it to always work. However, there is not always a guarantee.

I have come across 2 times when memory not on the motherboard makers QVL have cased a problem(not a mix and match issue, but some boards/chipsets are just picky). So you have about a 80%+ chance it will work fine and just default to the speed of the slower stick(sometimes slower sticks can be made to go faster with a bit more voltage and manual settings :) ).