Sign in with
Your question

Help with Motherboard and HDD Please

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2012 6:17:47 PM

I have built a new system and apparently have an issue with my hard drive. The system runs Windows 7 and everything works as far as I can tell. The issue is I purchased a hard drive to get 6.0 Gb/s interface and it appears that my system is running at a much slower rate.
The pertinent components involved are:

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

In BIOS I do see the drive connected to the 6.0 Gb/s SATA connection. On the face of it, everything seems fine.

When booting the computer the following messages appear on the screen:

1) ASUS Motherboard screen – OK, so far

2) JMicron Technology Corp. PCI Express to SATA II Host Controller ROM v1.07.23
Copyright© 2005-2010. JMicron Technology Corp.

Detecting Drives; Done; No drives found.

3) Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter – BIOS version 1.0.0.0022
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Adapter 1 Disks Information: AHCI Mode
No Hard Disk Detected!

4) Booting from local disk....

5) Windows 7 launches.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

More about : motherboard hdd

a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 6:59:28 PM

And you're definitely running off the hard drive? It's got the right name in the OS?

A SATA III HDD will NOT run at 6 gbps. That's only a measure of the speed of the connection between the HDD and the motherboard. The drive itself can only supply data at around 130 mbps: http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_blu...
You need a very, very fast SSD to max out SATA II. No HDD comes close.
m
l
January 22, 2012 9:35:10 PM

Let me provide more information:

I only have one HDD installed and the computer works so I am running off the drive in question.
I will presume the name is correct in OS. In honesty I do not understand the question.

My old computer had a 3 gbps Drive. Running the Windows 7 Experience Index the disk drive was rated 5.9.
So I build a new system and use a 6 gbps drive. I still get a Windows 7 Experience Index rating of 5.9.

Perhaps my logic in thinking the index would increase is in error and I am sure getting some funny messages when I boot up.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 1:44:26 AM

A 6gbps drive does not work faster. The connection between it and the motherboard can handle more data, but the drive itself simply cannot provide that data. Yes, sadly, you were in error.
I don't know about the messages.
My question is irrelevant if it's the only drive.
m
l
January 23, 2012 2:19:28 AM

Windows experience index changes with time. A 5.9 system one day will get a lower score later. If you want better performance, get an ssd. I got my first a few months ago and it's absolutely amazing. Biggest notable speed improvement in all my years building computers. I bought a corsair force3 180gb for around $240. Holds OS, all apps and more. All other media is on a WD 2gb. You dont need to spend 240. 128gb models seems to be the sweet spot for value while still having a nice amount of space for apps. Check out the best ssd for the money articles here.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 2:57:56 AM

If you want to see the real performance of the hard disk you're going to need to get an actual benchmarking application that is used for that purpose. The Windows Performance Index is only a very basic indication of system performance that Microsoft invented to give users an idea of whether their computer can run windows. It really doesn't do much else.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 10:05:35 PM

An SSD would be great, but it still wouldn't run at 6gbps.
m
l
!