nuffersp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

I'm playing the Solorians for the first time. They definelty have fuel
problems in the beginning of the game.

I'm trying to calculate how much fuel is needed to travel ~300 lyrs
away using Warp and the Corona with FTL-3.

Setting WP1 only I saw the following:

Distance Fuel Usage
305 1548
127 1548

Both distances are showing the same amount of fuel. Can anyone explain
this?

I am also finding that Solorians wings show more gas then wings can
hold.

Have the latest client as well as race pack. eg. fuel of 50/11 for a
9/0/1 Wing

Porthos

Yes, that is fuel burn each turn at the speed you have set.

I am playing the Solarians for the first time as well. Good idea there
is to use a ship with a lot lower Warp Drag to tow the Coronoa, f.ex.
The Prominence, and make sure to Ground Chunnel what you mine-drill
back home, before you move on.

nuffersp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

I always thought that was the amount of fuel to get to the WP1 no
matter how long it took. Learn something new.

Thanks

Porthos

nospam wrote:
> Sparrow schrieb:
> > And it also doesn't count in Exotic Tech fuel savings.
>
> Not sure about, it don't count the turn you by the ET but think
(maybe
> wrong) that the next turn it counts.
>
> Bye-Bye JoSch.

Yep. It counts the next turn you order to buy the exotic tech.

nuffersp@yahoo.com schrieb:
> I'm playing the Solorians for the first time. They definelty have fuel
> problems in the beginning of the game.
>
> I'm trying to calculate how much fuel is needed to travel ~300 lyrs
> away using Warp and the Corona with FTL-3.
>
> Setting WP1 only I saw the following:
>
> Distance Fuel Usage
> 305 1548
> 127 1548
>
> Both distances are showing the same amount of fuel. Can anyone explain
> this?
>
> I am also finding that Solorians wings show more gas then wings can
> hold.
>
> Have the latest client as well as race pack. eg. fuel of 50/11 for a
> 9/0/1 Wing
>
> Porthos

The client show only the fuel used in the first turn and only calculate
with the mass the ship have before any action (transfer, ..) happens.

And in my feeling, not sure about, it seems that the host subtracts the
fuel at the end of turn using the speed, length of the way and the
actual mass (at the end of turn) to calculate it.

Have seen the same with other races wings (RCS), but that at mixed wings
and the fighter can share their fuel. My poor T1 wings show the correct
fuel.
Oopps, see that pure Bird wings of the Typ 3 have fuel of 200 but only a
range / speed of 150 (before some time that was equal to the fuel). See
no corresponding stat which have to do with the fuel there.
Bug ???

Hope it helps.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

Sparrow schrieb:
> And it also doesn't count in Exotic Tech fuel savings.

Not sure about, it don't count the turn you by the ET but think (maybe
wrong) that the next turn it counts.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

nuffersp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

To summarize what has been said:

* Fuel usage shown is for 1 turn
* Exotic Tech for fuel usage does not help the turn you buy it but the
next turn
* Exotic Techs do not actually reduce the clients, planets, fuel usage
number

Everyone agree?

Porthos

Let me try to summarize the above:

1. Fuel usage shown in client is usage for 1 turn.
2. Fuel ET reduction the turn you buy the ET is not shown in the
client, but you do get the reduction when the host runs.
3. Fuel ET reduction the turn after you buy the ET is shown in the
client, and you get the reduction when the host runs.

Agreed?

- Karnak Prime

nuffersp@yahoo.com schrieb:
> To summarize what has been said:
>
> * Fuel usage shown is for 1 turn
> * Exotic Tech for fuel usage does not help the turn you buy it but the
> next turn

It is not displayed in the client but used the same turn you buy it.
Maybe cause the client don't check if you realy can by it.
If you have the ET already, say the light is green, then the client
notice the ET and show the decreased amount of fuel usage.

> * Exotic Techs do not actually reduce the clients, planets, fuel usage
> number

??? Don't understand what you mean.

> Everyone agree?

No.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

Karnak Prime schrieb:
> Let me try to summarize the above:
>
> 1. Fuel usage shown in client is usage for 1 turn.
> 2. Fuel ET reduction the turn you buy the ET is not shown in the
> client, but you do get the reduction when the host runs.
> 3. Fuel ET reduction the turn after you buy the ET is shown in the
> client, and you get the reduction when the host runs.
>
> Agreed?
>
> - Karnak Prime

Yes.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

I also disagree

What you actually use is only shown on client if you have already
purchased the tech in previous turns.

If you turn off one of them, it still displays like you have it,
however, you will use more fuel than it shows... be careful when
turning them off.

To summarize:

* Fuel usage show is for 1 turn move
* Exotic Tech for fuel usege shown on client is for the previous turn
of tech owned

Everyone agree?

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

david_ba...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Everyone agree?

No. But then again I also do not agree with the others about it.
We actually have to differ a few cases...

But of course, being as helpful as always, you fail to mention which
those are...

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
> But of course, being as helpful as always, you fail to mention which
> those are...

It is quiet easy to come up with the possible different cases, which
involve movement and fuel consumption, ie. fast hyp, normal warp
movement, normal hyp or...

Then do so... and post it.

But of course you can't, because we are obviously talking about ONLY
normal movement. If you cared to take a second and actually read what
was posted, you would understand that.

Actually, I'm worng. I give you too much credit. You probably still
wouldn't understand.

In fact, you'll probably now post something that proves it....

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

david_ba...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Then do so... and post it.

Me? Why always me?

> But of course you can't, because we are obviously talking about ONLY
> normal movement. If you cared to take a second and actually read
what
> was posted, you would understand that.

Maybe I did take that time and choose to ignore it.

> Actually, I'm worng.

I am still searching for the occasion on which you were actualy right.

> I give you too much credit.

Of course you are.

> You probably still
> wouldn't understand.

When did I ever understand anything?

> In fact, you'll probably now post something that proves it....

Yes please point out where I did prove it, eventhough I should probably
say where you think I did prove it.

Me? Why always me?

You talk... it's about time you PROVE something.

Maybe I did take that time and choose to ignore it.

Or now you're just using this convienent excuse of MAYBE....

I am still searching for the occasion on which you were actualy right.

Well, for starters, it was by NOT giving THRAWN millions of my
population as prisoners in a very newbie-esque move. I destroyed my
prisoners from orbit as a competent player would. Of course, you
didn't think of that... you were too busy making things fair by not
allying with the Lordfire.

Oh wait, I better be careful with my posts... I don't want you to cry
and whine like you did after FoF.

Björn and Dave fighting a light saber duel...in the meanwhile I'm trying to guess:

Call DF(s) the change in fuel after travelling a distance of s.
Call F(s) the amount of fuel in the ships's tank after traveling a distance of s
Call M(s) the net tonnage after traveling a distance of s and assume no cargo leaves or enters the ship on its way.
Call H the mass of the ship include all cargo but excluded the fuel. We have M(s)=H+F(s)
Call q(v) the amount of fuel burned at given speed v per kT net tonnage and travelled lj.

Then dF/ds = - q(v) M(s) = -q(v) ( H+F(s) ) or dF(s) / ( H+F(s) ) = - q(v) ds

The solution is F(s) = ( H + F(0) ) Exp[-q(v) s] - H. Minus F(0) on both sides yields

DF(s)= M(0) ( Exp[-q(v)s] - 1 )

For small q(v) one can use the first estimation of the taylor series which leads to

DF(s) = - q(v) M(0) s

So for small values of q(v) s one can use a simple formula to calculate the fuel change.

On the other side at max one can have

-F(0)=M(0) (Exp[-q(v) smax] -1) = (H+F(0)) (Exp[-q(v) smax] -1) which leads to

sMax = 1/q(v) ln[1+F(0)/H]

For small values of F(0)/H one can again use the first order terms:

sMax = 1/q(v) F(0)/H
Usage:

DF(s)= M(0) ( Exp[-q(v)s] - 1 )
DF(s) = - q(v) M(0) s

Range:

sMax = 1/q(v) ln[1+F(0)/H]
sMax = 1/q(v) F(0)/H

What is left ist q(v).

From the help files:

MaxV = Maximum Speed (of the engines)

vC-K = Fuel Burn to move 1000 kt of ship at maximum speed a distance of 100 ly

vC/2 - K = Fuel Burn to move 1000 kt of ship at one half maximum speed a distance of 100 ly

vC/4 - K = Fuel Burn to move 1000 kt of ship at one quarter maximum speed a distance of 100 ly

Let us introduce B(0)=vC-k / 100,000 kTlj, B(1)=vC/2-k / 100,000 kTlj and B(2)=vC/4-k / 100,000 kTlj

Looking at the burn profile of the engines ( press F5 in the client and select the engines) one sees that q(v) is of the form

q(v) = B(i) ( 2^i v/MaxV) ^2 * warpdrag factor/100 * (100% - PMBonus) (exotech)

in the intervals [0, MaxV/4] (MaxV/4, MaxV/2] and (MaxV/2,MaxV]
which are choosed as i takes the values 0,1 and 2.

Now we have all to explain the display of fuel usage in the client for normal movement. First to know is that the client shows
the usage for the next turn at given speed.

Let's take a LDSF of weight 4735kT with fuel of 579 at speed 90 with FTL-5 for a distance of 44. The client displays a burn of 23
and we have no exotechs.

FTL-5 vC-K = 50 MaxV= 120 Warpdrag= 40

q(90)=B(0)(2^0 * (90/120))^2*40/100 * 100% =50/100,000*9/16*0.4 = 0,0001125

"Exact":
DF(44)= 4735 * (Exp[-0,0001125*44]-1)=-23,4
"Linear":
DF(44)= -4735*0,0001125*44= -23,4

And now the range:

sMax = 1/0,0001125 * ln[1+579/(4735-579)] =1159
or
sMax = 1/0,0001125 * 579/(4735-579) = 1238

So for long range travelling I would take the exact formula.

I guess the for ships with a high warp drag factor and ships with a huge fuel tank one could mess up with the clients display
when fueling the ship due to the client's display.

GFM GToeroe

BTW: Nameless I know the host hacks the movement into a discrete one of 200 single steps where then a discrete sum is needed
rather than a continuous integral. But this here came at first into my mind and I could write down it immediately as I have
already made this calculation in the past in a neighboured subject.

"nospam" <j_schwarze_@freenet.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4278d992$0$3949$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de...
> nuffersp@yahoo.com schrieb:
> > I'm playing the Solorians for the first time. They definelty have fuel
> > problems in the beginning of the game.
> >
> > I'm trying to calculate how much fuel is needed to travel ~300 lyrs
> > away using Warp and the Corona with FTL-3.
> >
> > Setting WP1 only I saw the following:
> >
> > Distance Fuel Usage
> > 305 1548
> > 127 1548
> >
> > Both distances are showing the same amount of fuel. Can anyone explain
> > this?
> >
> > I am also finding that Solorians wings show more gas then wings can
> > hold.
> >
> > Have the latest client as well as race pack. eg. fuel of 50/11 for a
> > 9/0/1 Wing
> >
> > Porthos
>
> The client show only the fuel used in the first turn and only calculate
> with the mass the ship have before any action (transfer, ..) happens.
>
> And in my feeling, not sure about, it seems that the host subtracts the
> fuel at the end of turn using the speed, length of the way and the
> actual mass (at the end of turn) to calculate it.
>
> Have seen the same with other races wings (RCS), but that at mixed wings
> and the fighter can share their fuel. My poor T1 wings show the correct
> fuel.
> Oopps, see that pure Bird wings of the Typ 3 have fuel of 200 but only a
> range / speed of 150 (before some time that was equal to the fuel). See
> no corresponding stat which have to do with the fuel there.
> Bug ???
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Bye-Bye JoSch.

The calculation should hold even is the distance needs more than one turn...

"Gabor Törö" <gfm@gtoeroe.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d5r13h$l88$00$1@news.t-online.com...
> [...]
> > >
> > > Have the latest client as well as race pack. eg. fuel of 50/11 for a
> > > 9/0/1 Wing
> > >
> > > Porthos
> >
> > The client show only the fuel used in the first turn and only calculate
> > with the mass the ship have before any action (transfer, ..) happens.
> >
> > And in my feeling, not sure about, it seems that the host subtracts the
> > fuel at the end of turn using the speed, length of the way and the
> > actual mass (at the end of turn) to calculate it.
> >
> > Have seen the same with other races wings (RCS), but that at mixed wings
> > and the fighter can share their fuel. My poor T1 wings show the correct
> > fuel.
> > Oopps, see that pure Bird wings of the Typ 3 have fuel of 200 but only a
> > range / speed of 150 (before some time that was equal to the fuel). See
> > no corresponding stat which have to do with the fuel there.

Ok then here is the summary of the exact (I hope so) fuel calculations:

First calculate the fuel consumption per kT and lj at given speed V as

q(v) = B(i) * ( 2^i * v / MaxV)^2 * WarpDrag/100 * (100%-PMBonuses)

MaxV is the max speed of the used engines
PMBonuses is the sum of the percentual plasma manifolds exotic tech bonuses
WarpDrag ist the warp drag factor of the used hull

i is either 2,1 or 0 and is dependent of in which interval of the three

[0, MaxV/4) [MaxV/4, MaxV/2) [MaxV/2, MaxV] the vlaues of v is.

B(i) is the either vC/4-K/100000 or vC/2-K/100000 or vC-K/100000

This are the burn rates per kTlj at the speeds MaxV/4, MaxV/2 and MaxV

Then the fuel consumption DF(d,v) as a function of the total distance d and travel speed v is given by

DF(d,v) = M * ( [1-q(v)*v/200]^(200*d/v) - 1 ) where M is the total mass at the beginning of the movement.

The maximum distance dMax which can be traveled without refueling is

dMax = v/200 * LN[1- F/M] / LN[1- q(v)*v/200] where F is the fuel at the beginning of the movement.

( LN is the logarithm naturalis)

For a quick calculation one can use these estimations:

DF(v,d) = M * d * q(v)

dMax = - v/200 * F/M / LN[1- q(v)*v/200] "small tank limit case" or
dMax= -1/q(v) * LN[1- F/M] "low speed and/or low burn rate limt case"
dMax= F/ ( M*q(v) ) "small tank and low speed and/or low burn rate limit case"

GFM GToeroe

<nuffersp@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1115205831.693640.48360@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I'm playing the Solorians for the first time. They definelty have fuel
> problems in the beginning of the game.
>
> I'm trying to calculate how much fuel is needed to travel ~300 lyrs
> away using Warp and the Corona with FTL-3.
>
> Setting WP1 only I saw the following:
>
> Distance Fuel Usage
> 305 1548
> 127 1548
>
> Both distances are showing the same amount of fuel. Can anyone explain
> this?
>
> I am also finding that Solorians wings show more gas then wings can
> hold.
>
> Have the latest client as well as race pack. eg. fuel of 50/11 for a
> 9/0/1 Wing
>
> Porthos

Like it is with guesses: Sometimes they are wrong. I assumed more complexity for the fuel comsumption as there actual is. So
excuse me and here it is how it should work:

First calculate the fuel consumption per kT and lj at given speed V as
q(v) = B(i) * ( 2^i * v / MaxV)^2 * WarpDrag/100 * (100%-PMBonuses)
MaxV is the max speed of the used engines
PMBonuses is the sum of the percentual plasma manifolds exotic tech bonuses
WarpDrag ist the warp drag factor of the used hull
i is either 2,1 or 0 and is dependent of in which interval of the three
[0, MaxV/4) [MaxV/4, MaxV/2) [MaxV/2, MaxV] the vlaues of v is.
B(i) is the either vC/4-K/100000 or vC/2-K/100000 or vC-K/100000
This are the burn rates per kTlj at the speeds MaxV/4, MaxV/2 and MaxV
Then the fuel consumption DF(d,v) as a function of the total distance d, which can be traveled within the next turn is at travel
speed v is given by

DF(d,v) = M*q(v)*d where M is the total mass at the beginning of the movement.

If one now sends a ship over several turn to a distant target over a total distance of D and one wants to know how mach fuel is
needed the one have to do the following:

Assume the speed stays constant and only the fuel load is allowed to change due to fuel burning by the movement.

Then one can write abbreviated

Fn+1 = Fn-(Fn+H) q d = Fn(1-q d) -H q d

which leads to

Fn=F0 (1-qd)^n - H (1- (1-qd)^n)

d is here the distance which can be traveled within a whole turn.

Then one gets the fuel consumption over a distance of an integral multiple of d as

DF = M*( 1 - [1- q(v)*d]^n )
_______________________

n is the number of turns.

If one wants to know how many turns a fuel load lasts then one have resolve

for n:

n = LN[ H/(F+H)] / LN[1-q(v)*d]
___________________________

Here H is the total mass without the fuel mass.

If one wants to know how many fuel one have to take for the journey then one have to resolve

F=(H+F) (1 - [1- q(v)*d]^n ) for F:

F= H ( [1- q(v)*d]^(-n) -1 )
______________________

I hope this time it fits.

As mentioned changing orders for the plasma manifold exotechs are not displayed and also the client seems to display the mass of
the last turn. So one have to calculate the the mass manually.

The mass depends on

- nacked hull mass
- SupWs
- LWs