ASUS P8P67 - no hard disk detected

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is a mobo or hard disk or configuration error.

Ever since I built my new Sandybridge comp, I get this message during the boot....

Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS Version 1.0.0.0022
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Adapter 1 Disks Information: AHCI Mode
No hard disk is detected!

When searching about this, the closest thing I can find is:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291355-30-asus-p8z68-hard-disk-detected

My question then is, what is the Marvel SATA Controller?....should I be using them? My mobo manual says they are 6 Gb/s connectors.
Doing a bit of browing, I'm seeing that most people say the Intel Sata 6Gb/s connectors will be better... than what good are these Marvell connections for?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The sandy bridge processors contain their own SATA controller. Always use the Intel SATAs first. The Marvel controller is an add-on that gives access to extra SATAs for use of more devices if needed, but they are inferior to the intel ones. Plug into the first SATAs marked SATA 0,1,2...
Also, there are two SATA modes to choose from in BIOS; IDE and ACHI. Choose one or the other before installing Windows so it can set itself up for what you choose. Preferably ACHI with modern drives. It's troublesome to cahnge it later.
You can use your Marvel SATAs for stuff like optical drives.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Thanks for the reply....this then begs the question how des the Marvell 6GB/s compare to the Intel 3Gb/s?

I am installing a new solid state drive....obviously I will put it on the Intel 6Gb/s....but I have 2 other normal hard drives....one of them will go to the remaining 6gb/s intel sata but should the 3rd one go to the Marvell or the Intel 3gb/s?

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think you'll find that most 7200 RPM 6GB/s HDDs barely make use of the throughput that even a SATA 2 port provides. SATA 3 is mainly for the benefit of SSDs.

The main problem with Marvel SATAs is that they don't provide for TRIM. And there are other issues. Here is an excellent tutorial for clean installing Windows 7 on a SSD:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds
It explains quite a bit and gives some needed pointers for maximizing the SSD's speed and performance. I highly recommend it. It is short, concise, and to the point.

If you have 1 or more optical drives, you can use the Marvel for those devices. In fact, I would set those Marvel ports for IDE in the BIOS. If you want the optical drive to be the first boot device, some boards have problems recognizing the optical drive if the port is set to ACHI. One of my boards has that issue. It won't boot from the optical drive if set to ACHI, even though Windows still recognizes it.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

What....that's a great link!
Thanks man!!

I wonder how important this is:
""Disconnect all the drives but the one you are installing to, this avoids having the MSR partition placed on a secondary drive.""

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I did it just to be safe. No biggie. I think that's for folks that might forget to set the SSD as the first drive in BIOS, maybe. Just unplug the SATA cable from any drive that could otherwise be used as a boot drive until you get to the part where he says to reconnect it.

dabro15

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I figured out a solution to this problem. I used the P8P67 LE for a build and I had the same issue. After starting the computer I would get a message saying pretty much the same thing, a bunch of specs then: No hard disk detected! It would then go to the Asus boot screen, then go ahead and start Windows.

So what I did is DEL into the BIOS, then go top right where it says 'Exit/Advanced Mode.' Click it, then go into advanced mode. Go under the 'Advanced' tab, then click the 6th option down 'Marvell Storage Controller.' Click 'Disabled.' Mine was set to IDE mode, I tried AHCI Mode with no luck, so I disabled it and this fixed the problem.

Now the computer doesn't give me the "No hard disk" error. It will boot to the Asus logo then straight to Windows like it is suppose to be. This also fixed the HDD front panel activity light, it never worked until after I disabled the Marvell storage controller. I hope this fix works for you all!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's odd that you had to disable the Marvel controller in BIOS in order for your HDD activity light to work. Never had that one happen.

As far as the error msg you were getting, I guess I never addressed that issue, did I? All that is telling you, is that there is no drive connected to the Marvel controller. If you had something connected to it, it would display the item during boot-up. My machines with Marvel controllers say the same thing at boot unless I have it in use.