Can a motherboard be booted up without a graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I've been making the assumption that, yes it can, and that I would be able to buy everything I need for my next computer except for a new graphics card. Maybe hold out on buying one for a bit in case the prices drop or a sale shows up or something.

I saw some motherboards that don't actually have any graphics ports, neither VGA or HDMI or anything. I assume these will need a graphics card in order to do anything. But I found this mobo on Newegg that does have an HDMI, and I just want to make sure my plan is sound before I actually buy it. I understand that sometimes the computer has an integrated GPU chip that helps it tackle graphics, and that the latest i-series CPUs have integrated graphics. What I don't know is if it's all of them, or just the higher-end ones. I'd like to get an i3-2120, along with this board here. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512 I just want to make sure... I will be able to boot this thing up without discrete graphics, right?

This pic shows the HDMI port on the board.
GA-Z68XPPorts.png

Solution
G
All sandybridge cpus will work since they all have integrated graphics. 1080p is not that difficult to run I believe.

All z68 motherboards are SUPPOSED to be able run off integrated but gigabyte some of gigabyte's board are not able to run integrated. I don't know which ones but z68x-ud3(without the p) definately requires a dedicated card and I'm guessing the ud5 and the ud7 requires it also. But they put in integrated support in motherboards with the p after x. Also, motherboards with the H after the ud# have integrated support also.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You're good to go with that board. As long as you can adapt the HDMI output to the monitor's input. Usually not a problem. Plus, the HDMI carries the audio if the monitor/HDTV has speakers.
Intel i-core processors have their integrated graphics built on the processor chip itself. So you can do most all but gaming with the on-board graphics.

G

All sandybridge cpus will work since they all have integrated graphics. 1080p is not that difficult to run I believe.

All z68 motherboards are SUPPOSED to be able run off integrated but gigabyte some of gigabyte's board are not able to run integrated. I don't know which ones but z68x-ud3(without the p) definately requires a dedicated card and I'm guessing the ud5 and the ud7 requires it also. But they put in integrated support in motherboards with the p after x. Also, motherboards with the H after the ud# have integrated support also.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If a motherboard has video output on the back pane, it will either have an integrated graphics chipset built on the motherboard or the processor irself will have a GPU on-board.

Status
Not open for further replies.