coder5555

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hello,
I'm looking at getting a new graphics card and I like the gtx 460 because of the price and the performance you get from it.

My options are as follows:

*Gigabyte gtx 460 (twin cooling)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3530#ov
or
*eVGA gtx 460 EE
(one cooler)
http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1373-ER&family=GeForce%20400%20Series%20Family&uc=EUR

*Does any have a overclocking warranty?
*Both are the same price.

Which would ultimatly be quiter and perform better?

Here are my specs
i5 760
4gb (2x2gb 2000+)
ga p55a ud3
syncmaster res : 1680x1050

If you need anymore info please just ask thanks

D

Deleted member 217926

EVGA has the best warranty in the business. I am not familiar with EU models but in the US a card with AR at the end has a lifetime warranty including overclocking or even changing the cooler. You just have to put the stock one back on to send it back.

mrkeith

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
yeah they also sell a overclocked version (i got that one). It was only like $10 more from TigerDirect a few weeks ago. I think I got a 3 year warranty on it. Not sure. I may be thinking of my motherboard on this one.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
My advice : wait for the GTX 560. Then, check the performance/price ratio of the 560 vs 460. Pick the best one of the two.
We already know that the 560 will run cooler, faster (15-20%), quieter and require less power...
But it's starting price will ressemble that of the 460 when it was first released, which means 250-300$
The 460 will be discontinued and only those still in warehouses will be available. It's price will have dropped significantly more though...Maybe 50-75$, which will put it at 150$.

Decide what is best for you !

l3rushfir3

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
If your rig can handle it,
I run the 460GTX in SLI configuration. It matches the benchmarks of a 480 GTX and I heard close to the 560.
Honestly if your looking to save a buck I would go with that. Not to mention they run really smooth and cool. Never had a issue with them.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
If you want to buy it now, go with the EVGA. But you'll "only" have a 2 years limited warranty. If you decide to buy the 560, you'll have a lifetime warranty (all the 500 series cards from EVGA have lifetime warranties, if you register it within 30 days after you purchased it).

coder5555

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Don't have SLI on my mobo, but the gtx 460 is great I just want one that is able to be overclocked and runs cool. Des the ggbye gtx 460 come with a overclocking warranty??

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
No. There is never an "overclocking" warranty. But I've never seen anyone break a card overclocking it (if you don't mess with the voltages, at least).
If I don't watercool, I usually don't change the voltages...the card can become really hot, really fast. And too much voltage and your brand new card is dead.
If you want the best overclocking possibility on air possible, I'd get the GTX 460 FTW EE. It's the most factory overclocked card produced by EVGA, and it's under warranty at these speeds. You will probably be able to overclock it a little more though, something like 900MHz on the core and 4030MHz on the memory. The shader must always be 2x the core speed. Compared to the stock 460, it's a 33% overclock on the core and 12% on the memory. That's pretty good. Compared to the stock 460 FTW, it's a 6% increase for the core and 0.75% increase on the memory.
If you get the 460 SC, you might not be able to reach these settings, because for the FTW edition, EVGA will use a higher binned chip. For more info about binning, you can look here.

The main concern with the EVGA EE is that it is an External Exhaust model with a louder blower type fan. The Gigabyte will be much quieter, and reviews have shown that there is some validity to their claims for "Ultra Durable" components.

D

Deleted member 217926

You might want to read EVGA's warranty a bit better. It covers overclocking, overvolting and aftermarket cooling. All you have to do to RMA is return the card to orignal condition when you send it back.

The main concern with the EVGA EE is that it is an External Exhaust model with a louder blower type fan. The Gigabyte will be much quieter, and reviews have shown that there is some validity to their claims for "Ultra Durable" components.

I have the EE version and it idles at 28/29C and never breaks 70C even with Furmark. It is a bit loud with the fan manually turned up past 60/65% but that never happens in real world gaming. The fan usually stays at 55% under intense gaming and is silent. I did replace my thermal paste with IC Diamond 24C though.

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

Gigabyte 460 is much quieter. I am using one and so far so good after 4 month. but I noticed the RMA return rate from Gigabyte is higher than Evga in newegg. both are very popular brand. Gigabyte seems sell more since its low noise none reference design.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
personally am a big fan of evga this is my 2nd card from them. I actually currently have the model your looking at it's great, i wouldn't worry about buy an overclocked card, i got my to 834 right ouf of the box no overvolting. noise isn't really an issue for my my other case fans are louder then it. but if you can't do sli with you mobo you might actually want consider gigabytes model. Simply because part of the reason for the EE version to move the air out of the case, but with just one card there isn't much point if your case is already has good air flow. As other have said it will be a bit quiter but i honestly don't think i would notice the difference.

so bottom line, if you care about case temps then get the evga, gigabyte if you are pursuing a very quite rig

only thing gigabyte has is a better cooler. evga has the warranty that covers everything up to shooting your graphics card with a gun. both will OC to the same frequency and heat shouldn't be an issue with the EE. but if you can, go with a reference cooler 460, card runs about 4C cooler, but increases your case temp a bit, but i've never head of case temps being a problem. i use evga products and they are great, takes about 2 minutes to register your card for the lifetime warranty and they have a step up program so if they make a product you like within 90 days from now, you send back your card and pay the price difference between your old card and the new one you want now.