Screen turns purple/green/red

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Green
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2010 6:01:47 PM

HI
Ive had my current computer setup for over a year, using windows 7 since it was released.
It was running fine for a while, but recently when in games the screen suddenly turns purple/green/red/whatevercolouritfeelslike so i have to turn it off and back on again.
Ok so at first i was thinking that the card has over heated so its having a panic attack, but then it started happening on windows startup, just after login screen. THis would happen randomly and seems to happen 100% on first startup of the day, so i have to restart and hope it doesnt happen.
Just to make sure it hasnt overheated on startup i quickly run my temperature program and it tells me that its idling at about 53 deg celcius, which is fine for a gtx280.
Also, last night i was playing games with the fan right down and it was running at about 95 degrees C, and still no purple *** storm.

I did some googling, which told me to do a registry clean, so i downloaded CCleaner and did all that, yet problem persists, so here i am making a post, hopefully you clever people can help!

My setup:

q6600 processor - NOT OVERCLOCKED
nvidea gtx280 - NOT OVERCLOCKED
ocz reaper 1066mhz ddr2 - 4gb
CM realpower 700w modular PSU
asus p5nd mobo

If there are any other details needed to solve the case then just let me know :) 
THanks!

P.S - have updated all drivers since problem.

More about : screen turns purple green red

December 19, 2010 6:19:33 PM

So its definately a problem with the Gcard?
And dont think im eligable for warranty anymore since i bought the actual card ages ago :/ 
Related resources
December 19, 2010 6:36:42 PM

I would still check on the website, the warrentys can be up to 3 years!

Also, I'm pretty sure its a problem with the card. To eb sure, try puttign a backup card in the rig and see if that has the same problems.
December 19, 2010 6:45:10 PM

Hmm, have no spare cards otherwise would have defo tried this already, kinda tight on money so cant buy a cheap one either.
WIll check warranty though, thanks for the help..
Any other suggestions are welcome!
December 19, 2010 6:52:02 PM

Yeh, Dotn buy a card just to check that out. TO be honest the only sugestion I can think of is to just upgrade, see if that fixes it.

And that would require spending 160$ on a GTX 460 or w/e.
December 19, 2010 6:58:17 PM

gtx 460 > gtx280? tbh im not up to date with my gcards atm, didnt expect to be upgrading so soon tbh after forking out £250 for the gtx280 when it came out :p 
December 19, 2010 7:16:37 PM

Its a bit faster .The Radeon 6850 is 175$-185$ and also a worthy choice.

The 460 and 6850 are midrange, if you want to shell out there are nicer cards.

FOr more information:

GTX 580 SLI (1000$, preforms very close to 570 SLI and 6970 CFX, but still faster)
Radeon 6970 CFX (750$)
GTX 570 SLI (350$ per card, 700$)
Radeon 6950 CFX (500$-600$), 5970 CFX, GTX 480 SLI. (Both radeona dn the GTX are being outmodded)
Radeon 5970, GTX 580, GTX 460 1gb SLI (Radeon 5970 is ((380$-700$)), once again, AMD clearign stock so the occasional deal pops up once in a while. GTX is 500$., the 460s are 160$ ea.
Gtx 570, Radeon 6970 (GTX 350$, Radeon 375$)
Radeon 6950 300$ , GTX 295 (old/outdated) , 4890 CF, (old/decomishned) , GTX 480 (old/decmoshned)
Radeon 5870, Radeon 4870x2 (old/outdated) (5870 is 210$-220$-280-400$) (AMD clearign stock some deals out there)
Radeon 6870 245$-250$ , GTX 470 ( 210$-220$).
Gtx 470 (Idk, Should be 185$ though)
GTX 460 1gb, Radeon 6850, Radeon 5850 (150$-180$)
GTX 285 (old)
Radeon 4890. (old/decomishned), GTX 280. (old)
Radeon 5830 ( decomishened/pos card), GTX 465 (did they ever sell one of these turds?),
9800 GX2. (So old it hurts)
Radeon 5770, Radeon 4870 1gb., GTX 260 216sp. 5770 is 120-140$ or so, 4870 is old/outdated, so is 260.
GTX 260 192sp.
Radeon 4870 512mb (old)
Gts 250 1gb Radeon 4850 1gb ( GTS is 110$* overpriced*, 4850 is old/ decomishned)
9800GTX + (old) 4850 512mb, (old) GTS 250 512mb (old)
Gt 240,
Radeon 4830, (old) Radeon 5670 (way overpriced at 80$) , 8800 GTX, (old) 3870 x2 (old)
December 19, 2010 9:18:53 PM

Thanks alot for the info, musta taken some time aswell :) 
WIll probs go for a 6970 or equal to.
Awesome reply!
December 19, 2010 11:10:28 PM

No problem mate. The 6970 is a good choice, but I would look at the GTX 570 and keep the Green streak alive :) 
a c 176 U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 11:50:05 PM

So does the whole screen turn a tint of the colour? faulty vga cable/monitor? wiggle the cable see if the colour changes. doesnt sound like a gfx card issue to me, although dont rule it out completely.
December 19, 2010 11:53:45 PM

^ Yeh, the other day I was working on a MAcbook Air with an identical problem, the screen just fliped out and make random chades of purple/green/blue and turned out the LCD was totally shatered inside as a resulet of a nasty fall.

Try re-conncecting the VGA cable.

Even if the card is fine, you should consider an upgrade if you have the cash, the GTX 280 still has decent resale value.
March 15, 2011 7:53:58 PM

i have the same exact card and the same symptoms. i dont think its the cable as i have my tv hooked up to the second dvi port and displays the same issue. i have reseated both cables and even gone as far as taking the card out and blowing out the fan with compressed air.

the card is 3 years old so warranty is not an option. formated my machine as well thinking it was a registry problem but problem persist on two different operating systems. as everyone suggest the card is probably shot and i will be upgrading to the gtx 580. i am able to load the machine with xp pro but as soon as i try to load a graphic or play a video screen goes purple, green, orange.

i am at fault for buying a super clocked card and will not be making the same mistake in the future. glad i came across this forum to confirm it was the card.
April 16, 2011 1:57:33 AM

just reading this looking for some help with a similar problem. anyway to test any of this, check anything off as not the problem etc.? I have been getting the green and red graphics at startup recently, and am now starting to get some graphics shadows of some sort even on the bios loading screen. started trying to play madden and got the same graphics problems. tv, is fine, desktop is fine, internet is fine etc.

Thanks guys.
June 14, 2011 9:12:07 AM

I also have an p5n-d mobo but a gts 250 gpu and one day I switched on and got a "video hardware error" message. Got it just once. Now the screen colours are darkened- need to hike the gamma levels up to correct it but then the white is too bright, and theres a strong red tint to greyscale. White and other colours seem fine.

Tried my old card- same problem.
Took the screen into work to test on my work comp- no problem.
Plugged my TV into the gts 250 on the p5n-d via the HDMI port- no problem.

Everything points to the Mobo in this case but I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they stress tested it and played some games on it, and according to them its OK.
Since I got a good result via the HDMI does anyone think its a driver error? Or is it hardware based?

September 7, 2013 9:30:05 PM

I'm not posting a solution but I encounter the same problem too!
My computer is acre 5950g, a laptop. I use it play computer games a lot.
Today it happen to me and it seem that it happen on bios and start up too. Also I tried to restart my computer a few time but it won't get better.
It is like green and purple strips flat across the screen.
it happens whenever I play game or watch videos.
My graphics card is AMD Radeon 6650 M hope u can help me.
March 11, 2014 1:31:48 PM

builderbobftw said:
^ Yeh, the other day I was working on a MAcbook Air with an identical problem, the screen just fliped out and make random chades of purple/green/blue and turned out the LCD was totally shatered inside as a resulet of a nasty fall.

Even if the card is fine, you should consider an upgrade if you have the cash, the GTX 280 still has decent resale value.

Hmm, I'm having the exact same problem as the author of this thread and after reading your posts, I think that you may can help me :)  I have no experience in putting computers together at all (all I know is that there's motherboards, processors, optical drivers, hard drives, Air and Watercooling, RAM and Gcards) My Graphic card is a "NVIDIA GeForce GT620", so after what I've been able to read from this thread, it should be a very new Graphic card and I've only had my PC for a year and the warranty says 2, so it's a little weird :)  My PC holds an Intel Core i7 3770 Processor, a 1 TB hard drive & 16 GB of RAM. It won't tell me the model of the motherboard without me opening my PC. The only prob I can spot here and now is that I once tested how light the colors of my screen would be if I placed a HDMI cable instead of my DVI cable. Only a few day after started this problem when I tried to play Skyrim. First I thought I had too many mods on, so I switched all mods off, uncept the official DLCs, but it still didn't help. So today I tried to lauch "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" but the problem was still there. Idk what's wrong, but you may do :)  Thanks for reading all this (or just scanning, I know I write a lot, pretty hard to stop really :)  )

March 11, 2014 2:02:44 PM

JoraniusMinecraft said:
builderbobftw said:

Hmm, I'm having the exact same problem as the author of this thread and after reading your posts, I think that you may can help me :)  I have no experience in putting computers together at all (all I know is that there's motherboards, processors, optical drivers, hard drives, Air and Watercooling, RAM and Gcards) My Graphic card is a "NVIDIA GeForce GT620", so after what I've been able to read from this thread, it should be a very new Graphic card and I've only had my PC for a year and the warranty says 2, so it's a little weird :)  My PC holds an Intel Core i7 3770 Processor, a 1 TB hard drive & 16 GB of RAM. It won't tell me the model of the motherboard without me opening my PC. The only prob I can spot here and now is that I once tested how light the colors of my screen would be if I placed a HDMI cable instead of my DVI cable. Only a few day after started this problem when I tried to play Skyrim. First I thought I had too many mods on, so I switched all mods off, uncept the official DLCs, but it still didn't help. So today I tried to lauch "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" but the problem was still there. Idk what's wrong, but you may do :)  Thanks for reading all this (or just scanning, I know I write a lot, pretty hard to stop really :)  )

Hi

How has it been nearly 4 years since this post?? Crazy how time flies...
Anyhow, that card was utterly hopeless, I ended up selling it on Ebay and the unfortunate buyer had horrible problems with it. The buyer sent it back, I refunded and sold it again for spares and repairs (to which the new buyer said it was fine after he/she fixed it).
So to sum up, the reason for the problems was the faulty graphics card.

As a PC enthusiast, I may be able to help you with your problem - it could well be driver or temperature related. Sometimes when you subject hardware to lengthy periods of use or put them under huge stress, they over heat and freak out.
First of all, make sure you have the latest driver version installed for your current graphics card.

Standard graphics card drivers are renowned for not having proper fan speed adjustment; they will always be set to an automatic fan speed adjustment and will try to guage what fan speed the card should be on. What I would suggest is to monitor your graphics card temperature and see what kind of temperatures you hit. For this I use a program called SpeedFan (probably not the best, but it does the job). This will show you what kind of temperatures your components are currently at, you want to look at GPU & CPU temperature.
If during game time, your temperatures are running above 80 degrees, you really want to look at your fan speed settings. You will be able to do this by going into your graphics card drivers (your GT620 should have these) and look at your fan speed, you'll find this after playing around with the graphics card software options. You will notice that your fan control will be set to automatic; set this to manual and ramp it up to 100%. You will notice that your PC will be sounding as if its taking off, but for the purposes of fixing your problem, you will have to live with it.
This should then dramatically reduce the temperature of your graphics card, which you can check on SpeedFan, let me know if you continue to have this problem.

If this doesn't help you at all, you should consider speaking to the manufacturers or place of purchase, and use the warranty that you have been granted - it will most likely be a hardware problem and you should almost certainly be covered. By all means, do not take your PC apart as this will most likely void your warranty; let the experts deal with that!

Good luck, and let me know.
June 3, 2014 1:56:36 AM

banytoshbot, Caused by the Video Card Driver, Try replacing the video card for it's size, If this helps, Turn on your computer, If this not helps, Caused by GPU, I want to pay attention to my display adapter settings, video cards, VGA cable and loose VGA connection, You can replace a screen by going to the manufacturer, Buy a new video card (Note: Don't replace the old graphics card unless you buy a new video card, put it to your computer and go and take the video card to manufacturer.), If that my note and my steps don't help, E-Mail me on Outlook.com, Don't do anything on my Outlook.com account, Just send a new message about your problem and your solution, Type a subject, In the To box (Type: yazanalhabal@hotmail.com), send and log off.
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 4, 2014 8:37:42 AM

Please create a new thread for new problems, 4 yr old thread will be locked.
!