Sli ready motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Alright I'm new to the whole sli thing but to me dual 560 ti's seem to be the way to go for frame rates without breaking the bank. My only problem is a motherboard, i hear some motherboards are "sli certified", is not enough to just have 2 pci-e x16 slots?

Solution
No, it's not enough to have 2 X16 PCIe slots, since some mobos can only support Crossfire and some support SLI tech. Newer mobos however support both, but it's better to check the specs before you pick up something.

What you need to check with the newer mobos is whether both slots function @16x when populated or @8x when both are populated, any of the 2 combinations will do, either both @16x or both @8x, but, what you need to beware of are, mobos that support one x16 and one x4 when both are populated. Those are the mobos you don't need to waste money on.
No, it's not enough to have 2 X16 PCIe slots, since some mobos can only support Crossfire and some support SLI tech. Newer mobos however support both, but it's better to check the specs before you pick up something.

What you need to check with the newer mobos is whether both slots function @16x when populated or @8x when both are populated, any of the 2 combinations will do, either both @16x or both @8x, but, what you need to beware of are, mobos that support one x16 and one x4 when both are populated. Those are the mobos you don't need to waste money on.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.