Toshiba SatPro 6100- where's my hi-speed USB?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 27, 2005 7:56:13 PM

I have a Toshiba 6100, around 3 years old. It has 2 USB ports. Recently, I
started using a USB 2.0 flash drive, and whenever I plug it in, I get a
message saying I have plugged a hi-speed device into a non-hi speed USB
hub. I have found out how to switch off this warning, and I assume that it
just means stuff takes longer to transfer to and from the flash drive than
it would do if I had a hi-speed USB.
Can some kind person please explain:
1. Does this mean my 6100 never had a hi-speed USB hub?
2. Is transfer speed the only issue I should worry about? I use one USB
port for an external mouse, and the other to transfer files to and from the
flash drive.
3. What would be the value of adding hi-speed USB - and do I assume this
means I would need to get some kind of new hardware/card from Toshiba?
--
Benny
*******

"Benny" <ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only> wrote:

>I have a Toshiba 6100, around 3 years old. It has 2 USB ports. Recently, I
>started using a USB 2.0 flash drive, and whenever I plug it in, I get a
>message saying I have plugged a hi-speed device into a non-hi speed USB
>hub. I have found out how to switch off this warning, and I assume that it
>just means stuff takes longer to transfer to and from the flash drive than
>it would do if I had a hi-speed USB.
>Can some kind person please explain:
>1. Does this mean my 6100 never had a hi-speed USB hub?
>2. Is transfer speed the only issue I should worry about? I use one USB
>port for an external mouse, and the other to transfer files to and from the
>flash drive.
>3. What would be the value of adding hi-speed USB - and do I assume this
>means I would need to get some kind of new hardware/card from Toshiba?
1. The 6100 never had high speed USB ports
2. Transfer speed will be the problem--USB 2 is capable of 480mbps vs 12 mbps
3. Easiest way is to get a PC Card USB 2 adapter off of eBay. I use a Belkin
with no problems.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0512-2, 03/26/2005
Tested on: 3/27/2005 5:40:42 AM
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 27, 2005 9:59:38 PM

If you don't have USB 2 ports (and I don't think that you do), the only
way to add them is via a USB 2.0 PC Card, for probably about $20 to $40.
The only issue is transfer speed, but it's a big issue, USB 2 is FORTY
TIMES faster than USB 1.

Benny wrote:
> I have a Toshiba 6100, around 3 years old. It has 2 USB ports. Recently, I
> started using a USB 2.0 flash drive, and whenever I plug it in, I get a
> message saying I have plugged a hi-speed device into a non-hi speed USB
> hub. I have found out how to switch off this warning, and I assume that it
> just means stuff takes longer to transfer to and from the flash drive than
> it would do if I had a hi-speed USB.
> Can some kind person please explain:
> 1. Does this mean my 6100 never had a hi-speed USB hub?
> 2. Is transfer speed the only issue I should worry about? I use one USB
> port for an external mouse, and the other to transfer files to and from the
> flash drive.
> 3. What would be the value of adding hi-speed USB - and do I assume this
> means I would need to get some kind of new hardware/card from Toshiba?
March 28, 2005 4:14:23 PM

To Barry and sded- thank you for the info- got a USB 2.0 PCMCIA CardBus at
the local computer shop, and the data transfer really rips!
--
Benny
*******

!