Runnig 2133Mhz ram in a mobo that supports only 2000Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrabbit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Solution
If you're already savvy with the OCing bit it wouldn't be very difficult, I should say.
The problems that you could face could be any starting from BSODs to Data corruption while doing stuff, but that is something we all face and find a solution to.
You could run in the range of 2000MHz with maybe the same timings, since the OC Speed of the RAM is 2133MHz and that's not very far off from 2K.

What I meant by that was you'd have to be a little more aware while working with that RAM.
IMO, the Mobo will support a Max OC of upto 2000MHz for the RAM. Withe a standard RAM of max OC 2000MHz, the user would have OCe'd everything to get to that speed, for all we know he would have even bumped up the voltage to 1.65V to maintain that speed. If he was successful in the feat, then he'd sure have reached that point of stability going through a few BSODs, changing a few timings here and there, multipliers up and down, etc etc.

Scenario changes, we have a RAM of Higher OC capabilities at the same Voltages, timings changed, now the rig is automatically going to downclock it to 1333, first.
And the journey begins again....... only difference is, the RAM is going to be working at a frequency that is not specified to the brackets that we are used to, making it a little more troublesome adjusting. It is not going to downclock the RAM straight to 2000MHz for the OP. That's the whole way it might go, but, it's my opinion, that for someone who's new to the business, it's better not to risk the $$ on stuff that might lead to greater headaches.

djrabbit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

How hard can it be? I am able to overclock my processor and I have some knowledge on how to over clock ram. What are the main problems that I could face? Could I run at 2000 and have lower the timings and it will default to 1333 because thats the default maximum speed the phenom ii x6 1100t can take without oc and tweaks.

If you're already savvy with the OCing bit it wouldn't be very difficult, I should say.
The problems that you could face could be any starting from BSODs to Data corruption while doing stuff, but that is something we all face and find a solution to.
You could run in the range of 2000MHz with maybe the same timings, since the OC Speed of the RAM is 2133MHz and that's not very far off from 2K.

What I meant by that was you'd have to be a little more aware while working with that RAM.

Solution

djrabbit

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Alright thanks for you're help. I also talked to the guy selling me the ram and he is running it 1866 with stock timings so that goes to show it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.