Quad core showing Dual core

bgwhite11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
After switching out my E7200 for a Q9300, my PC saw only two cores and 1 set of L2 cache. I have been using it as is for about 6 months without serious problems. Is it possible that two cores(and cache) were fried? Or is it simpler than that?

CPU-Z sees it as a Q9300, just with half of the resources of a Q9300.

check with your motherboard manufacturer and see if you need a bios update to.
then do as jbakerlent says.
also open task manager, under performance you should see 4 bars if the cpu is working properly and recognized by the o.s and bios as a core 2 quad.
the Q9300 does not have hyper threading so you wont see any virtual cores.

G

The problem is your operating system which don't properly handle hardware changes as CPU, if you had run a Unix or Linux, you would have got the CPU information updated automatically.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

My advice would be to check the BIOS as well, if 2 cores are not showing there, then your chip may be defective. Also, if you're using any built-in core unlockers, I've heard of them having issues occasionally as well.

bgwhite11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I think I found the problem.

Now my system doesn't boot up at all(if it does and I get lucky, it freezes on "Starting Windows.

One of the transistors(unsure of actual name) is gone. I can see the leads for it, but the "black box" is gone:

IMG00162-20110525-1924.jpg
[/img]

That may not be the problem. Those traces may be empty on an Q9300.

bgwhite11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I am pissed lol. I got it from MicroCenter last year, but they told me because it is physically damaged it would not be exchanged, it only covers defective chips(for all they know I could have broken it). I contacted Intel and I am going through the RMA process now, hopefully it will go through and I'll get a replacement. The CS rep told me that it could be rejected by the RMA department if they deem me at fault(which might happen). The only way I can see this happening is from those awful push pin heatsinks they give you which I was forced to use until my aftermarket HSF came in.

Anywho, I need a replacement board too, my board is failing to initialize my RAM, but it's perfectly good RAM. I saw a few bent pins in the socket, but I wont try to bend them back in hopes to exchange it for a new board with XFX.

bgwhite11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
^^ That's what I was going to do, but if I only have to spend $40 for a board rather than +/-200 for DDR3 RAM, Mobo, and chip.

I still feel like the Core 2 Quads are worth getting replaced rather than thrown away. I rarely do any video rendering/editing, I only play some games here and there+lots of web surfing.

bgwhite11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I just shipped my chip to intel, 99% sure I'm getting a replacement. My CS rep seemed to think I would, even after seeing the picture of the damage.

Thanks for all your help guys, and I'll make sure my board recognizes all 4 cores next time I drop it in my system.