crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
After the worst of my problems motherboard fried :-( so removed everything from my board ram graphics heatsink ect as i was removing my heatsink my AMD Phenom 2 955 molded itself to the heatsink i carefully removed the cpu from heatsink and cleaned it best i could but after inspection there is very tiny tiny bits of artic silver on the cpu pins ( Very VERY minor i carefully put it in the cpu case i got with my cpu and here i am.

Problem is im gettiing a new motherboard soon is my cpu dead no pins what i can see are bent everything fine just a tiny bit of that nasty gunk n my cpu very little maybe 7 --10 pins :-(

WHAT DO I DO HELP PLEASE SUGGESTION PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS COST ME £100

THANKS

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
No everything should be fine. Arctic silver is capacitive, but as long as the CPU isn't running with the arctic silver connecting two pins together to create a circuit, it will be fine.

You should definitely clean off the paste before putting the CPU in a new board. 99% isopropyl alcohol should get that stuff off, so I would just pour some of that on the cpu's pins and then let it dry before use.

Alcohol worked pretty well on my AMD stock compound, and I don't see why it wouldn't take with AS. Try carefully (!) dipping the pins, and ONLY the pins, NOT the cpu itself, into a little bit of alcohol. Then, still with alcohol on the pins, GENTLY stick the pins into a scrap of cotton ball fluff. If you have to apply any pressure, STOP and tell me about it.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Well, I guess that would be better, though alcohol isn't conductive; you just need to be careful about mechanical damage to the pins.

Maybe some tweezers to pick the stuff off would be best after dipping the pins. I bent a few motherboard pins back into place with tweezers after I accidentally bent them(scared me almost to death); worked well after that.

crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Ok guys so i cleaned it best i could i dont have any alcahol substances whatsoever i used tissue as its on the outer pins only realy have to zoom in and stare at the pins to see the dirty ones now i see maybe 6--8 pins with the arctic on it the gunk for what i can see does not spread over the other pins just separtaly the gunk is near the top of a few and possible on the pin surface ( sharp bit ) the cpu now itself seems pritty clean and im guessing when i put it in the new board will scrape any remaining bits off am just worried that it will short curcuit my new board and fry it that will drive me insane :-(

DAMN NO DUMMY BOARDS TO TEST THIS ON :-S got a AM2 + board here though dought that will fit :-(

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Oh yeah. I bent two pins on my Phenom as I repaced the cooler. I had to wait about an hour for my pulse to drop from 180 to at least TRY to straighten them. :eek: Luckely, it worked.

Good luck finding 99% isopropyl. You can't buy that at wal-mart.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I have some in a medicine cabinet in my house. One bottle lasts years. Drug stores should carry it and it's cheap.

Regular isopropyl (Rubbing alcohol) that you buy at the drug store is 73%. Some stores carry 91%. None carry 99%.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I used Dawn dishwashing liquid, water, and a soft old toothbrush. Gently, and I mean VERY gently run the bristles among the pins, parallel to each of the two sides, throughout all the pins. Do NOT press down like you would with your teeth!
Rinse thoroughly under running water, and set it on a paper towel on a window sill for a couple of days to let the warmth of the sun dry it out completely before re-insalling it. (If you're in a cold or wet climate, you won't want to do this on the outside of the window, but only on the inside.)
I've done this with AMD & Intel processors, including Durons, Athlons, Athlon IIs with no ill-effects. I've also done this with motherboards (although the time required to dry is several days) with no problems.

Those looking for 99% isopropyl alcohol can find it at Safeway or Walgreens.

http://bpmedicalsupplies.net/B001B5JT8C/M/B001B5JT8C.htm
http://www.firstaidkitsstore.com/products/isopropyl-alcohol-99-16-oz-1-each.html?from=froogle
http://emarcadero.com/product_isopropyl-alcohol-99-16-oz-1-each-p75572.html?geo=uk

but thats online not instores, but still.

I didn't say it didn't exist. LOL

That's great you can find it at a online medical supply store. ROFL

Any high school science class has it.

I said GOOD LUCK FINDING THAT AT WALMART.

It really helps to read the post before you reply.